Sony banning PS3 hacks for life

Options
mudwrx
mudwrx Posts: 367
edited February 2011 in Video Games
This is the best news I've heard in a while. My MW2 was hacked and I have not played since. I hope they get all the hackers with this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20032389-1.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0
Post edited by mudwrx on

Comments

• nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Sweet, i definitely agree with this decision.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2011
    Options
    What? This is about people hacking their own PS3s. Which they own. This is a BS thing by Sony, but not surprising; they're one of the worst companies on the planet for this type of thing.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • nguyendot
    edited February 2011
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    What? This is about people hacking their own PS3s. Which they own. This is a BS thing by Sony, but not surprising; they're one of the worst companies on the planet for this type of thing.

Correction, it's about people hacking their own PS3s and wanting to use the Sony's network. They can hack their own PS3s all they want, you just won't be able to get on their network.

How is this any different than the state saying you can't drive your modified car that doesn't conform to their rules, on their streets? If you want to play on their street, you play by their rules.

It's also about the cheaters....people are very upset about the MW2 cheaters.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

• bobman1235
    edited February 2011
    Options
    nguyendot wrote: »
    How is this any different than the state saying you can't drive your modified car that doesn't conform to their rules, on their streets? If you want to play on their street, you play by their rules.

It's also about the cheaters....people are very upset about the MW2 cheaters.

It's so different from the street thing it's not worth talking about, but I do undersatnd your point about cheating and whatnot. Personally, I would prefer that they crack down on people who cheat, not just people who want to use their device in their own way but don't necessarily want to do anything nefarious.

I own a Wii, which I "hacked" (put Homebrew on) not so I could do anything nefarious - I don't cheat, or pirate games, or do anything else. But the number of things I COULDN'T do pre-hack was ridiculous, and the hack allows me to do those things (everything from a simple "Play DVDs on my device that can read DVDs" to "play all my games off of a hard drive instead of loading games one by one".) Now, Nintendo doesn't have a network like Sony does, that I'm aware of (I don't care if they do, I'm not a gamer) but none of what I did with my device should preclude me from using it if they did. I'm sure the lion's share of people who jailbreak their PS3s aren't doing it to cheat, but just to get functionality that Sony refuses to give them.
  • nguyendot
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The Playstation network isn't a public forum. It's privately owned and they definitely can enforce whatever rules they want. All we can do is complain, but they're going to stick to their guns about it. It's not even a paid service... honestly they could a) shut it down or b) start charging for it like Xbox360...
    Main Surround -

• bobman1235
    edited February 2011
    Options
    nguyendot wrote: »
    The Playstation network isn't a public forum. It's privately owned and they definitely can enforce whatever rules they want. All we can do is complain, but they're going to stick to their guns about it. It's not even a paid service... honestly they could a) shut it down or b) start charging for it like Xbox360...

I understand that. I'm not saying they should be forced to not do what they're doing, I'm just commenting about their business practice, and providing a counter-opinion to yours about why someone might hack their device. It is fully within their "rights" to do what they did, doesn't mean everyone has to like it.

I'm predisposed to dislike Sony for various things they've done in the past (including various DVD copy protection fiascos), so that doesn't help.
  • mudwrx
    edited February 2011
    Options
    It's pretty plain and simple. Sony provides you with the terms to use their network. You agree to these terms. If you break the terms you get banned.

Hackers are often anarchists and do much more harm than good. Which is too bad because they have the skills to improve much (and I'm not talking about the punks that just download the cheats or how-to's. I'm talking about the people that actual do the jailbreaks, etc.).

I'm all for Sony doing all they can to keep these people off of the PSN for good.

Like nguyendot mentioned; hack, jailbreak, tinker or modify your console all you like, just don't expect to go on line with the rest of the community if you do so.
  • nguyendot
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I understand that. I'm not saying they should be forced to not do what they're doing, I'm just commenting about their business practice, and providing a counter-opinion to yours about why someone might hack their device. It is fully within their "rights" to do what they did, doesn't mean everyone has to like it.

I'm predisposed to dislike Sony for various things they've done in the past (including various DVD copy protection fiascos), so that doesn't help.

Or the CD rootkit fiasco? Now that..that was something I did not agree with, and believe was illegal, not just wrong.
    Main Surround -

• bobman1235
    edited February 2011
    Options
    mudwrx wrote: »
    It's pretty plain and simple. Sony provides you with the terms to use their network. You agree to these terms. If you break the terms you get banned.

And again, since you apparently can't read - no one says they shouldn't be allowed to set those terms. It's their network, they can make whatever requirements for use that they want. Consumers can also complain about those requirements, which is all I am doing. I don't need a lecture on the rights of private corporations.

Since when is complaining about or disagreeing with things verboten?
  • mudwrx
    edited February 2011
    Options
    And again, since you apparently can't read - no one says they shouldn't be allowed to set those terms. It's their network, they can make whatever requirements for use that they want. Consumers can also complain about those requirements, which is all I am doing. I don't need a lecture on the rights of private corporations.

Since when is complaining about or disagreeing with things verboten?

Since you already stated that you hacked your Wii I can see why you are making noise about this.

I've got no problem with complaining or disagreeing, you have every right to.