What is the rule for the distance of the FXi50

Options
bryanr72
bryanr72 Posts: 53
edited August 2003 in Speakers
My surrounds on the back wall are about 6ft. apart. A Polk technician told me to switch the L and R speakers if they were a certain distance apart...but I can't remember what that distance was. Right now my Left speaker is on the Left side and the Right on the Right. The mids face outward, away from me.

What is the rule of thumb for this?

-Bryan:confused:
-Bryan

Equipment Used:
AVR: Sony STR-DA3000ES Digital 7.1
Front: RT2000i
Center: CS400i
Surround: f/x500i
Surr. Back: FXi50
Floor Sub: Infinity BU2
Post edited by bryanr72 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have never heard anything about switching surrounds in that manner or for that reason.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bryanr72
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I emailed Polk when I first got my fx500i, and I was told there was a scenario where it would be best to switch the speakers. I just can't remember the distance apart. I did some searching, and I saw where some had the opinion to keep the mids facing the listener...which would be switching the left and right.
    -Bryan

Equipment Used:
  • bryanr72
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Do any of the Polk technicians post in this forum? Do I need to send my question to Polk?
    -Bryan

Equipment Used:
  • danstone
    danstone Posts: 5
    edited August 2003
    Options
    While I haven't ever heard of the specific Polk recommendation you're talking about, why not simply try the speakers both ways and decide which you like best for yourself?

Trust your ears.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Bryan,

I have a pair of f/x1000's, (although on the side wall vs. back) and I had to switch them because they were apparently labled backwards. If the tech indicated that you should have the mids facing you, then don't worry that you have the R on the L and vice versa.

Dan's recommendation is a good one too though......just switch them and see which one you prefer the sound of. There really is no right and wrong with this stuff......it's ALL subjective.

One more thought......you can't have a set rule about the speakers being a specific distance apart because that's not going to take into consideration every indviduals room build and furniture positioning. Just start with the sitting position, go to the center of the wall, and go an equal distance off center with each one. As long as you have them balanced, you're OK.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.