2008 Nissan "Polk Audio" Altima built thread (LOTS of pictures)

2»

Comments

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited September 2011
    EBAN44 wrote: »
    Hey, I have a similar set up in my Altima, fibreglass 12" polk momo sub but on drivers side then I made a amp rack on the passenger side where your sub is now.
    Question thought where did you get your subwoofer metal bar cover from? I have my sub mounted at a little angle so its pointing up but would still like to cover it with something.

Dude, let me see some pics!!

You can use momo grill that was specifically made for your sub if you can find one. They do show up on Ebay once in a while.
    Or even just about any 12'' grill you like, most should fit (someone correct me if i'm wrong here)

the only reason i didn't use grill made for SR sub is cuz there is no SR grills lol. SR sub is high excursion sub hence the reson i went with "metal bars". They are basically made for high excursion subs.

Here's what i have (but in black)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11614_GS-Audio-BG-12.html

You can also use JL's bars since they are now on sale. I originally wanted to get 2 sets to have 6 bars covering my sub but then price was $35 each so paying $70 for a grill just didn't make sence to me.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9950_JL-Audio-SGR-12W7-Grill-P-N-90246.html
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • Vital
    edited September 2011
    Kazimir wrote: »
    Thanks, do you know what section of the stores they are in? Have check 2 of each and couldn't find. Also, I wish I could have done it sooner, but work/vaction/carpc/money/................ Have been slowing this down and not including research, I am prob 200hrs deep in the install lol. Last weekend was the first time in 2 months I have had more than a drivers seat, center console, dash in the car lol.

Its really amazing how much longer this stuff takes to do it right. Although I would do it all over again then pay 2-3k for someone to install for me.

Do the bar grills work as well as you would like?

Paint section in Home Depot, i'm assuming same applies to Lowes. Most associates will not know what u're talking about when u ask but it's there.

HA! Lately my car is in one piece of the most part but at the time of my deadening i was driving around without ceiling, rear deck, door panels.... haha! And yes, it's still a lot better then paying someone simply becuase that sopmeone will NOT put as much effort as you will and end result will not be any better. At leats when you're handy. If not - do yourself a favour and pay someone lol.

On bar grills - these are really strong and good quality bars. I wish thers was 5 of them thou covering a bit more as in reality it don't protect a few lower inches of the sub but other then that it's def good stuff, elspecially for the price.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • phil65
    phil65 Posts: 24
    edited September 2011
    I love the tweeter mounts, I think im going to mount mine in my sierra the same way, before I couldnt figure out where to mount them. Looks like its going to be a great sounding install, cant wait to hear the results.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2011
    Exceptional work on those tweeters. Looks like it came from the factory with them. Well done.

Man I wish I could fiberglass or at least had a shred of craftmanship in me. :frown:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • EBAN44
    EBAN44 Posts: 39
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I have the momo grill somewhere but I dont really like the look of it. I like the look of those bars though. I would love to get a SR12 to replace my momo but I think my box is only between .8-1cuft so would probably make the SR be too boomy.

Edit: Ill take some pictures tomorrow, when I replace my brakes and hopefully find a spot to install my new processor.
    Vital wrote: »
    Dude, let me see some pics!!

You can use momo grill that was specifically made for your sub if you can find one. They do show up on Ebay once in a while.
    Or even just about any 12'' grill you like, most should fit (someone correct me if i'm wrong here)

the only reason i didn't use grill made for SR sub is cuz there is no SR grills lol. SR sub is high excursion sub hence the reson i went with "metal bars". They are basically made for high excursion subs.

Here's what i have (but in black)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11614_GS-Audio-BG-12.html

You can also use JL's bars since they are now on sale. I originally wanted to get 2 sets to have 6 bars covering my sub but then price was $35 each so paying $70 for a grill just didn't make sence to me.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9950_JL-Audio-SGR-12W7-Grill-P-N-90246.html
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2011
    You've got some serious skills. Amazing work.
  • Vital
    edited September 2011
    Thank you guys!
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Kazimir
    Kazimir Posts: 51
    edited September 2011
    Vital wrote: »
    Paint section in Home Depot, i'm assuming same applies to Lowes. Most associates will not know what u're talking about when u ask but it's there.

Thanks found it this weekend. Also, how did you secure the sub box in place. I was debating Velcro or a bolt thru the sidewall(its kind of thin though)
  • Vital
    edited September 2011
    Sub is 30lb, so is my enclosure believe it or not. So that's 60lbs altogether which in itself isn't too easy to move.

It's wrapped in carpet which creates friction against factory carpet which prevents from sliding around (now in addition to weight)

It is very tightly shaped to "hug" every curve and corner of the car. I also used stock plastic trims as "stoppers".. kind of hard to explain but take a look at fiberglass (which is VERY strong btw) "hitting" my black plastic piece that protects lower part of the trunk... actually that's the only plastic piece i see there, rest is carpet. You can see how fiberglass and plastic are "flushed" so if it wasn't for the color difference u'd think it's all one piece.

DSCF5203.jpg

DSCF5204.jpg

Also my enclosure is pressed up by trunk's support arm as seen here:

DSCF5209.jpg

DSCF5204.jpg

Combination of all these things comes out to 100% solid and slide/move free position.
    It'll never move anywhere.
    If u're talking about making it theft proof - then yes, u'd need to bolt it the hell up real nice but i gatta say that it takes me good 3-4 minutes to get this enclosure out of the trunk with all these curves, stoppers and weight so it'll be a bit of a challenge for someone who doesn't know which way/angle it needs to be lifted to to get it out. But no, it's not theft proof.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ