Dennis Chambers .... Grazyna Auguscik

Options
Loud & Clear
Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
edited August 2003 in Music & Movies
Dennis Chambers - Of course, he's one of most respected percussionists around ... period; he's been such for decades. Anyway, he has a funked out, jazzed out new release called, "Outbreak." Understand, I'm not a fan of the genre, yet, I'll be damned if my toes aren't tapping themselves tired everytime I play the CD ... and yes, every time I play the CD I like it better than the last time I played it.

I purchased the album on the basis of having heard 'Paris on Mine,' a tune so killer (tight rock/fusion) than I didn't care if the rest of the album sucked. Seriously. And at first ... I thought the rest of the album did suck. It's a long burn-in period, without question, at least for a fan who's made a lifelong habit of avoiding such albums, but it DOES burn in. The tapping of toes tells quite the tale.

Grazyna Auguscik - well, she's a Polish immigrant who's resided in Chicago for many years now; she spent some time performing out of the Green Mill (been there, as I lived in Chicago for eight or nine months a few years ago). She's had a hand in reviving that once proud club, which had fallen from it's once lofty porch into complete decadence and depravity over the passing of time.

The opening 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress,' is as beautiful and delicate a piece as you're likely to find; it hurts to listen to it. Similar kudos go to 'Aqua Vinho,' a beautiful piece of music.

Both of these albums, which I have in redbook form, are EXCELLENTLY (dynamic, extended, un-potty-poo'd at all frequencies. No mud) recorded. If you have a front end, interconnect, amplifier, speaker wire, and speaker that you feel good about, consider these CD's for your listening pleasure.

I'd write more but I'm wasted on wine, not to mention that I doubt anyone will actually read this to begin with. Sid, this is what happens to a man when he's single and in his thirties ... don't do it, kid.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
DAC: Arcam irDac
Source: iMac
Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
Center: Klipsch RP-160M
Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790