Vott At-7 Bin

Options
gidrah
gidrah Posts: 3,049
edited August 2003 in Speakers
I'm sure that anybody that understand the subject line will appreciate what I'm talking about.

I will be picking them up next weekend. They are in different cabinets which are much smaller (and higher WAF). They don't have the horn loaded bass bin. I may try to redo the cabs in the future as I may only be able to hear them 2 blocks down compared tothe standard 3.

I've been trying to upgrade my 2-ch rig for when it gets moved to the new house. Unfortunately, I missed out on some Maggie MMGs and a McIntosh tuner/pre within the same week. These are also to large to fit in my small room and be utilized to their full potential. They will actualy make their way into the living room after I do some basement listening and veneering. At which time the Polks will move to the 2-ch rig.

I love my wife!
Make it Funky! :)
Post edited by gidrah on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Unless I've gone dim, we're talking Voice of the Theaters here... Very low on the WAF indeed. Sounds like you have a keeper.... I mean the wife...

Of course we need pics ASAP... I mean the speakers. :)

I've been drooling over Mc's for as long as I can remember. AudioCraft used to hand me a bib upon enterring their Cleveland, OH store.

In case you don't have it, here's a great Mc link I stumbled over tonite in an ebay listing.
    http://www.roger-russell.com/

As for the Maggies, the MMG's are are nice, but do yourself a favor and jump to the 1.5's or 1.6's. Not too often that they pop up on ebay, but worth the wait. At ~$700, the 1.5's are the best value out there right now IMO. There's a refurbished pair on Audiogon right now.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    edited August 2003
    Options
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3040359306&category=14993&rd=1

Here's the link to the bid. I can't wait to put some juice into these suckers. Pretty big for 50 watt speakers though.
  • gidrah
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Make sure to read the story at the bottom. Life's been good to me so far too.
  • Tour2ma
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Neat deal... and from an Ohio boy to boot.

I used to run in the Chardon area when I worked a summer for Diamond Shamrock.

So do you plan to refinish them?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yeah, I'm probably going to redo the veneer and put a grill cloth over the whole front except the horn and about 1/2" around the edges.

Now I've gotta find or make a center channel that'll do 100dB@1w.

Thanks for the McIntosh link. Actually I've had that one in the bookmarks for a couple of years.

ATC: The kid had better not come with these. I'll be eating mac & cheese and bread for a month as it is.
  • gidrah
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well, I've posted a question to Mr. Walsh on his/ his fans website as to the authenticity of being his speakers from his college gigs.

I am so frickin' excited about these that it isn't funny. When I go to sleep I think about them in hopes of pleasant dreams.

I've been thinking of demo material for the last few days. Bombastic type stuff just because I can, then some more detailed stuff. I've also been thinking about a center channel since these will probably end up in the main rig. I use it more and it'll be in a bigger room. I'm thinking 9 full-range 4"ers. 4 on top and 5 below the TV. Or, 8 and a super-tweeter. Unfortunately this eats into the supply for the line-array pair I had planned.

I mainly wanted a bump. I can't believe that I just bought these aand haven't gotten a reply by RuSsMaN, George or many others.

Goingganzo: I've been wanting to hear your sub for some time. Now I want you to hear my new speakers that I don't even own yet.
  • Tour2ma
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gidrah
    Well, I've posted a question to Mr. Walsh....
    I've been thinking of demo material for the last few days. Bombastic type stuff just because I can, then some more detailed stuff.
    Should Joe answer in the affirmative, I would think "James Gang Rides Again would be a nice choice...

As for the Center.... A Klipsch just might work../
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2003
    Options
    As an interesting side note, one of the links on Roger Russell's page ( http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/ ) is less than 5 miles from my office. It's part of a high end shop here in town where I can go and listen to B&W, Revel, McIntosh, Mark Levenson Rel, etc... If anyone is ever interested in any of their used or refurbished stuff, I'll be glad to go take a look.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Shack - Would you mind checking for amps under $500?? I may be grabbing at straws, but maybe something is laying around in there. Thank you, email me at home if you want.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Shack - Would you mind checking for amps under $500??

Nothing there in that price range. Most everything is considerably more than $500.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    No problem thank you for checking, I appreciate that. :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gidrah
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Welp, my baby's momma went to the check cashin' place, we hopped in her daddy's pickup with some tarps and a clothesline and picked them up this weekend! We had originaly planned to hit Six Flags one day and pick them up the next, but with the recent power outages and boiling water concerns we just made a day of it.

Ironically, the guy I bought them off was using Polk rears and center. And will probably buy Polk fronts.

Initial impressions:
    They're huge! At 13.2 cubic feet (including casters and horn) each these are by far the largest speaker I've ever owned. They're bigger than my dishwasher. I'm just glad they don't have the horn loaded bottom of the A7-8s that I think these came from.
    They sound great. I have them hooked up to my 5.1 JVC receiver with long RS 16 awg cables. I was listening to a Telarc recording of William Tell Overture. It was the beginning, and I was thinking "Wow! This sounds really good, but not phenomenal." My periscopes seemed to have a bit better imaging/soundstage and at the same volume setting I remember hearing more material. I turned up the volume a little and heard stuff I never heard before. I concluded that the more subtle sounds were probably condensed by the 4" driver and that I was actually hearing a more true rendition. I did a little moving around and more toeing in and it the imaging finally took hold. It never quite got as good as the 'scopes, but this would be expected in my small room with the speakers further apart than distant from my position. About that time BAM! The first crescendo hit and I started giggling and immediately reached for the remote control. So this is what dynamic range is all about.
    Overall sound is very listenable. Definately not what I would consider to be bright or harsh that is often associated with horns. They also are lacking in the forward sound that I was expecting. This may change when they get moved to the much larger room.
    The bass is much better than I woulda thought. They don't go as low as my Polks, but they're tight and crisp lows. In their current room (small) one is smack dab in the corner and I can feel the bass much more-so than I can an pair of equally rated bookshelfs. These suckers can move some air. I expect the low end to drop off in the new room, but right now my sub isn't optimal either.

I plan on hooking them up to a Dynaco ST-70 through the pre-outs. I was concerned about the sensitivity for the center. I'm not anymore. It now goes deeper than that. I watched a few excerpts today from the Matrix and LOTR. During normal scenes the center was louder, but during action scenes it wasn't. I may go with 4.1 for a time.

I'm very excited about giving the Polk 10Bs their due with some nice stands and gear on a 2ch rig.