pbd

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey vince, im having problems...
im currently trying to kill my 450S and its not working
i hooked up the power with an 80 amp fuse(its a recommended 40a) and connected one speaker wire from the positive to positive, negative to negative...it gets REALLY hot and turns off...kill the engine...5 minutes later the damn thing is running again
any ideas on how to kill it without totally obliterating it?
and to everyone else thats reads this:
i know a post like this started a bunch of controversy in the past...but please...if you dont know the story...dont knock me on this...but if you have a suggestion....im welcome to it
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    run it at no ohms...

take a piece of 8 gauge and jump from the positive to the negative.

dont have any speakers hooked up -- just the 8 gauge wire.

let it cook.

dont use a fuse either -- just kinda like watch it... and after it starts to smoke, yank the power wire so u dont hurt the car or anything... note - u may wanna do it like laying it on a picnic table or something outside the car with just teh pwoer wire comin fromthe car.

the other option is series two car batteries, and run 24 V power into it... that should overload the voltage regulators... and at the same time run it at no ohms.

so ya just get a pice of 4 gague from your car battery outside to run outside the car... then hook the power to the amp -- and ground it too.. then attach the 8 gauge from + to - and then just jump a piece of speaker wire from the power input to the remote input so the amp turns on -- you'll have to have signal going into it tho -- your RCA 's have to be going into the amp or it probably wont put anything at all out. have the gain all the way up.

if there is no onboard fuse then that should smoke that sucker good. soon as it starts to burn, pull the power.

i dunno if that's something they'd takke back "under warranty" tho -- its u're cal -- but if u wanna blow it -- that should do it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    ok i tried your method with the 8awg...kept it with an 80a fuse...didnt work...now im going to go try it without a fuse...this is harder than i thought it would be...i was hoping it would blow b/c it had too big a fuse...thats about right...blow amps when i dont want them to blow....cant blow amps when i do..
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    and i have a problem with running it without a fuse
    the fuse is too far away from the battery and i dont have enough 4awg to bring it close enough
    i guess im going to have to take the battery out and put it closer...but even then im not sure how much room ill have to play with
    and i dont have any extra 4awg like i used too
    why cant a power surge just go through it?
    lol
    and when u said hook up the positive to negative...since this is a 2 channel amp...the positive on one channel to the negative on the other?
    or both on the same one
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    since its a 2 channel -- know how u bridge it? positive right / negative left ... or postiive left / neg right -- however u bridge it -- that's how u should jump it -- that way u really get the most UMPH outa it.

did it blow the 80A fuse ??? if it didn't blow the fuse, then runnin it without a fuse isn't gonna help anything...

i thought it was blowin fuses and not lettin u draw enough current to kill it.

if it is blowin the fuse - the u can always take a 2 inch long piece of 4 gauge, strip all the insulation off it and stick it in teh fuse holder -- thus u have solid wire...

the only other thing i can think of is high voltage input -- i mean if NO OHMS wont blow it... then u'll have to up the input voltage to the power terminals -- 48 volts oughta do it (4 car batteries in series). i dunno.... maybe it wont...lol... most all of the internal guts of those amps are 20 volt tolerant **** -- thats why u can run them off 16 volt high output alternators but you cant run them in like construction equipment with 24 volt batteries.

dude i dunon why this is so hard -- my 500D blew when it accidently touched the positive and negative speaker output lines together... poof -- in 2 seconds the amp was toast.

if i can think of anything else i'll post back.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited August 2003
    I've heard of people taking a straight AC power cord and hooking it up and plugging it into the wall. I've never done this cuz I'm not a huge fan of messing with electricity so I can't recommend this, but I know someone who says he's done it twice and cooked both his amps.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    but where did he hook that AC to? -- i thought about it as well i just couldn't decide if he ought throw it into the power inputs or into the speaker outputs??

we need that guy Magneto from the X-men comics to come jack the amp's shizzle up. :eek:
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    i was thinking about that as well
    just cutting off the end of an electrical cord, sticking it in the power terminal and plugging it into the wall
    but what about the ground?
    damn amp wont die...ugh
    tough little ****
    lol
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited August 2003
    I'm pretty sure he stuck it in to the power input. I think he stripped the cord back and put the positive side in the positive side and the negative in the negative and plugged it in, with a jumper from the positive to the remote.

The thing I'm not sure about is if he had the RCA's and the speaker outputs hooked to anything, I tried calling but haven't been able to get a hold of him. I'll let you know if I find anything out.
    "The Big C"
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    thanks
    i was driving today...i still had the amp hooked up with rca cables and power and ground...nothing was in the speaker inputs
    and i looked back and the l.e.d. light wasnt on
    i was like sweet! maybe a power surge came through and fried it!
    came home...went to check it out...remote lead had came off...put it back on...worked fine...
    crap...
    so im just going to run it with the speaker wire connected to each input....let it run...maybe eventually itll be too much and **** the fan
    i wonder what will happen if i bridge it...then touch the other two ends together?
    ill play with it tomorrow to see if i can get it to die...lol
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    oo and btw...the wire from the battery goes to the cap...then the amp...do you think i should take the cap off the amp...maybe thats helping prevent it?
    or would what im doing damage my cap?
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    i think i killed it off this time...im going to let it cool down and check it again in the morning
    amp was a soldier...hate to see it go now...lol
    but oo well...on to bigger and better things...as in the 550S
    ive put off ordering the wiring
    im going to try and get that stuff ordered this week and maybe someday ill have time to put it in...i need to put my back seat back in the truck...it looks really ghetto now...bunch of wires and stuff sticking out of the carpet...lol
    clear up an assload of space in my room too...now if i can just get the amps so i can put the sub box in the truck too and be bumping!
    i think i blew it may 23rd...so ive gone many a day without bass
    im hoping by the end of august...everything will be installed...maybe even XM radio...if id hurry up and order my wire id see how much money i have left over for it...i already have money put aside for the amps
    and with next friday's paycheck, i might even have enough to grab the new momo 4x6s and a rockford fosgate 201S(wishful thinking...but not totally impossible)
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    u can always take a sledge hammer to it.

that really is odd that u've done all that and it still won't go... that sucker really is tough, like u said.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    i finally killed it
    i just put one speaker wire and connected both channels with it...left it there for a day and eventually gave out
    im going to send it back to thezeb with a few days...hopefully monday...hopefully...get my money back...and buy the 550S's
    i need to quit putting off buying the wiring...ill try and get it all ordered monday
    all this has been such a damn hassle...lol
    oo well its almost over...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    I do hereby dub thee -- Cody Meister the RF Scheister.

:)
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    i think the damn thing is coming back to life!
    lol
    i only injured it
    oo well i think its good enough to send back though
    ok i take out the speaker wire from the terminals and the red l.e.d. light comes back on
    wtf?
    put the wire back in...goes off
    i have an old test speaker(legacy 5 1/4)and i put it in one of the terminals and it was moving
    but when i first started hooking up the one speaker wire to both terminals the voltage would drop to like 10volts on the truck...and now it stays the same...
    weird...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    try hooking the power line ground to the negative speaker terminal and power lien positive to the positive speaker terminal...

might cook the outputs.

(be sure theres that fuse on your main power line -- u really dont wanna start a big fire)
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    well im going to call rf today and see if its reason enough to send it back....i think im going to put the subs back in the truck to see if the amp will push it....cuz yeah it pushes a legacy 5 1/4 but will it push the momos?
    i dont have any extra wire around small enough to hook it up to the speaker terminals
    but hopefully i can send it back
    so if i can send it back...itll most likely be sent back today and ill try and order the wiring and after i get my money back for the amp ill go ahead and order the 550S's
    that way hopefully ill get the wiring all set up before i get the amps and just hook it up and go
    i get paid again friday...so ill be able to get xm radio pretty soon and maybe the new momo 4x6s...which is a good chance...but the 201S will still be out of reach for a little while i think
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    ok, im 100% sure its dead now
    i put the sub box and the back seat back in the truck...bridged it to one of the momos...turned the truck on and it started smoking and didnt put out anything i could feel to the speaker
    so its packed up and getting ready to get shipped out in a couple of days
    im going to try and order all the wiring tonight...but i think im going to do try and do it by money order...i think sounddomain accepts them...i dont think knukonceptz does...but i just got tired of everything running through the credit card and felt itd be easier just to do it through a money order
    so by wednesday at the latest hopefully everything will be ordered(minus the amps till i get my money back)and the amp will be on its way and hopefully i didnt mess it up too bad to where they wont take it
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    sounddomain does take them but they wont process/pull/pack your order until they get the payment in the mail... semi-annoying, but as long as u're not in a hurry, no biggie.

just keep them on a short leash and send the money order with delivery confirmation so that u know when it was delivered -- that way u can call them and be like "ok u got my money, when are u shipping?"