Even Better 25-31PC-Plus Review

Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/svs_2531pcplus.htm

Paraphrased Quotes Below:

The bass was completely void of extraneous noises such as cabinet rattles and port chuffing. I could hear and feel what seemed to be effortless and clean low frequencies engulfing the room. The bass was not just filling the room, but controlling the room with iron-fisted authority.

A few words about the scale of what I heard through the SVS: There's a point where a subwoofer doesn't seem to be fighting against the internal volume of the room, but actually seems to move the room from its foundation up. This kind of bass quality, coupled with prodigious output capability, is rare in my experience. I've heard subwoofers that exceed the 25-31PC-Plus's level of performance: Wilson Audio's XS can pull the same trick and then some, controlling an entire house, but then again it's $18,500 without a crossover!

I certainly have not heard this kind of bass from a sub-$3000 subwoofer, ever -- and the SVS 25-31PC-Plus is $775!

The SVS 25-31PC-Plus blended quite well with either the Polk Audio RTi150 or the Dynaudio C2 speakers I paired it with. The bass from the SVS was so clean, powerful, and agile that I can?t imagine a user having a problem blending it in a system, as long as the crossover point and room placement are both optimized.

Simply put, the SVS 25-31PC-Plus outperforms the small Pinnacle by a considerable margin in every category you care to name. It's cleaner, plays deeper and louder, is tighter and faster, and just plain sounds better. I found this to be true with music or movies. What else is left to say?

The SVS 25-31PC-Plus is a groundbreaking subwoofer in the under-$1000 price category. In fact, I have not heard a better subwoofer at several multiples of its price.

Rarely do I get so excited about a product that I call my buddies to tell them about a new find. This case was different: "You've got to hear this sub. It is blowing my mind," I told my bass-freak friends. So now you -- the bass-addicted readers of Home Theater & Sound -- know too.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Found and read that a few weeks back after hearing so much about SVS on this site. Needless to say, I was impressed.

And now for the obligatory remark: I'm going to get an SVS at some point in the near future!

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited August 2003
    good read, thanks Dr...

I makes me wonder how I stack up...I guess I'm looking for reasurance...no one ever reviews a DIY sub...heh

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by BeginnersLuck
    good read, thanks Dr...

I makes me wonder how I stack up...I guess I'm looking for reasurance...no one ever reviews a DIY sub...heh

-BL

The Tempest you built needs a bit more port and power to stand up to the PC+ line. But what you built is an excellent subwoofer capable of crushing many commercial subs out there in output and extension.

I would say you are about 3 dB shy of what a PC+ can do. If you added another 3" port (and altered the port length accordingly), and upped the power to 500 watts, you are directly in the PC+ range.

Since Ron-P is in a small room, he'll simply never notice the lack of 3rd port and power. You might be in the same boat. In his room, he can hit clean peaks of over 120 dB. The Tempest DIY is a very efficient design and it is amazing what it can do with "only" 250 watts and two 3" ports.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS