Power Cord Burn-in

Options
dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
My MagicPower Cord is sitting at my local postal office, I just have to pick it up.

How should I burn this puppy in?

Derick.
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Hook one end up to the piece of equpment, and the other end into the wall or surge protector...

It's fairly easy, but can take as long as 1 minute to finish the task, so make sure you have enough time set aside to do it...

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I recall Frank saying that they needed 40-50 hours of burn in time. My Digital Power cord from Signal, when first used on my TV was really grainy...but gets better every day. It has about 30 hours on it. The Magic Power is thicker, so you may need exactly what he has mentioned.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcarlson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'm going to be using it on my integrated amp. I was thinking of leaving it on with an FM tuner when I'm not home.

I'm just wondering if it would need some high current. Seeing that I won't be home I don't want to crank it too loud.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I think just leaving your amp on (idle) will draw enough current to burn in your new cord...

No one can give you an exact amount of hours, but leaving the amp on for two or three days should cover the majority of time needed...

You could play a source at low volume and that might speed up the process a bit, but I don't think it's something you should be too concerned about. Just normal use should have the cord running at optimal performance within a week or two...what's the rush, you have a lifetime to enjoy it!

Later,
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • dcarlson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'm pretty impatient when it comes to new stuff, I always want it now. :D Besides, I waited 2 weeks to get the sucker in the mail.

I do play my system quite often, at least a few hours a day. I am very curious to hear the results.

• dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yea that would work, music and bass heavy media just make it faster.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcarlson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Man, what a beast of a cable. The pics don't do the size justice.

Out of the box, sound is pretty weak. Can't wait till burn in.

• dcarlson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    7 hours in and it's starting to sound quite a bit better than out of the box.

• dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Options
    SWEET! DUDE! SWEET!
  • bryanr72
    bryanr72 Posts: 53
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Please tell me what you are talking about.....a digital power cord.....WTF?
    -Bryan

Equipment Used:
    AVR: Sony STR-DA3000ES Digital 7.1
    Front: RT2000i
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: f/x500i
    Surr. Back: FXi50
    Floor Sub: Infinity BU2
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Signal Cable offers two levels of upgraded power cords....the Magic Power and Digital Power.

http://www.signalcable.com/power_cables.html

Some simple comments.

The Digital Power cord would be for less demanding equipment, such as TV's as he suggests.

Magic Power would be for high end, anything with high current draw under load.
  • dcarlson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    So far, I'm a little disappointed in the Power Cord. I've got about 40+ hours on it and there is a major lack of mid bass. The highs are very clear and pretty forward. I haven't given up yet though. I'm going to continue to try and burn it in. Frank recommends 50+ hours burn in.

Does anyone else use the MagicPower cord? Any thoughts on the sound?

Derick.

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Derick,
    I have several of them. Do you hook 'em up through power conditioner? One thing I noticed, on my Monster HTS8000, if I used it thru it, the bass is less defined and tight. Hence, I bypassed the Monster, straight to the wall. On my other system, Panamax 5500, I run it through, and also replace the stock cord of the Pana with another MP. So far so good...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dcarlson
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Straight into the wall. I figured that would be the best. I only have a relatively cheap powerbar. I'll try and plug it into the power bar see if there's a difference.