Amp setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrummerMP
DrummerMP Posts: 17
edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am setting up a 5.1 surround sound in my "99" Si, consisting 1 mm6 for center, 1 pair mm6 each in kick panels, doors, and rear. Sub has 3 mm104.
I need advise as to what polk/momo amplifiers I should use to get the best competition sound out of this setup.
Thanks.
DrummerMP
Post edited by DrummerMP on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    well there are only 3 momo amps -- a 500 x 1 at 2 ohms mono sub amp / a 150 x 2 at 4 ohms 2 channel / and a 75 x 4 at 4 ohms amp.

since I am a power junkie...

I would do as follows.

Run a C300.2 to each set of front momo components, this will give you 150 watts to each momo component up front.

Then I'd run a C300.2 bridged to each momo sub .... this will give you 500 watts to each sub.

I dunno what to tell you about the center channel, since there is not a little momo amp to bridge to it... I'd just try to find something that's 200 x 1 bridged from another company like alpine or whatever "looks" good next to a while shitload of polk amps.

so that's 5 C300.2's ... that's an assload of money. and another amp too.

You can go low power and do the C400.4 to all your fronts -- that'd give you 75 wats per channel, and then you're still stick using three C300.2's for the subs cuz you want that 500 watt mark. for the center again u're still stuck lookin for a little one.

Personally -- I wouldn't do any of that -- I don't think those amps are right for your setup. It's nothign against the amps themselves -- its against the lack of options -- which is to be expected in the first year of an amp lineup -- i'm sure if they do well and customers buy, then next year or the year after we'll see more models.

I'd be looking toward something like that Orion 800.4 that another person in these boards got -- its 100 x 4 at 4 ohms --- that'll drive all your fronts...

and then to keep the same amp line you can do like an Orion 2500D to give you about 700 watts per sub at 1.33 ohms.

for the center channel you could do an Orion 2002 -- puts out 200 x 1 bridged into 4 ohms .... perfect for a center.

now look where you're at -- you've got three amplifiers that are all properly matched and working with greater efficiency than 6 amplifiers which means more wiring, and 3 of them will function with less efficiency than the 2500D, which means more battery drain.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited August 2003
    OR, you could run two C400.4 using the active crossover (fronts and rears), one C300.2 bridged for the center channel, and a C500.1 for the subwoofers.

~JB
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    justin how is he going to do that??? bridge a 500 watt amp to a center channel speaker? sounds like a waste for 450 dollars to me.

and run a 500 watt 2 ohm stable mono amp to three 4 ohm subs that want 400 watts each?

after rereading the original post, i see something i'd overlooked... using the two C400.4's as justin said is the way to go --- however...

run the first C400.4 to the 4 front speakers (he said he's got two pair of components up front - one in doors, one in kicks)... then, run another C400.4 with the rear stage of it hooked to the rear speakers and the front stage bridged to the center channel (give ya 200 x 1 to the center channel).

that takes care of highs... and quite nicely actually. still gotta run three C300.2's to the subs though... you dont want anything less than 400 watts on a momo sub.... 500 would be even better.

it would be a good setup though... whole lotta work, but a very admirable setup.

what are you using for surround sound processing ??
  • DrummerMP
    edited August 2003
    Thanks for the ideas. I had no idea my setup would require so many amps, especially using 5 of the polk/momo. My goal is to include polk/momo amps and speakers for my setup. If what was recommended is the best way to go without excess parts, then so be it.
    I am using the pioneer AVM9000R dolby digital 5.1 surround processor.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited August 2003
    I didn't see before that you had 3 woofers. You have to use 3 DVC woofers if you want to run them off a C500.1 amp. See the diagram below. I would suggest either buying another MM104 for a 4-woofer configuration, or taking selling one of your MM104 and use a 2-woofer configuration. Of course, you could always buy 3 C500.1 amps :)

Although the amps may run at a lower impedance, the C500.1 is built and rated at be stable at 2 Ohms and above.

~JB
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    justin - as none of us yet have had these things in our hands and you guys have... has anyone "torture tested" the 500w mono amp with a 1.33 ohm load for like a week or two runnin full power just daily drivin and whatever?

if so - do you think it's kosher to do? specs and ratings aside... is it feesible to run it at 1.33? just curious, and considering a "mini system" (yes anything under about 2000 watts is "mini" now :) ) for a "camp-mobile" --- (old) 250 standard cab pickup 4x4 with every conceiveable useful thing (roof rack, class 3 hitch, winch, yada yada)... three 200 w 10's might be pimpin (175-ish each oughta do fine in a little area).
  • DrummerMP
    edited August 2003
    If I am to add a forth MM104 sub to the setup, how many amps total would the system require?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    if you did 4 momo 10" 4 ohm subs / 1 momo 6.5" component (half a set) for your center channel / two pair of momo components up front (one in kick / one in door) / and one pair of momo components in back...

you would - MINIMUM... require the following.

TWO polk C400.4 amps
    ... one to run the two pair of front components.
    ... one with front stage bridged to the center channel, rear stage pushes rear components.

TWO polk C500.1 amps
    ... two 10" momo subs to EACH amp.

now look -- those polk sub amps only do like 500 watts dude... that's not enough for TWO 10" of the big momo subs... but its perfect for the baby-momo's... the new momo carbon fiber series ones that just came out come in 10" / 12" and 15" models. the 10" are 4 ohm coil, 300 watts rms (so 250 is fine), and are gonna be more sensitive than the big momo 10's which means they'll be louder, cleaner, clearer than the big momo 10's.

I think that with 4 subs, you can easily do 4 of the new momo carbon fiber 10" subs and have it be PLENTY LOUD.

at least that's what i'd do if i was building a 5.1 system out of all polk stuff right now.
  • DrummerMP
    edited August 2003
    Thanks for the reply. Right now I have all the speakers including three big momo 10's. I was wondering if adding a forth big momo 10 would make the amp configuration easier and most efficient. If not I guess I would end up using three polk C500.1 amps, one for each sub, and two C400.4 for the 5 components.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    three C500.1's is not a good idea -- that'll only give you 250 watts per sub. the 500.1 does 500 x 1 at 2 ohms -- not 4 ohms -- a single momo 10 is 4 ohms. i mean if you're gonna only do 250 watts per sub then you might as well do 4 subs off 2 amps instead of 3 amps on 3 subs -- you'll get exactly the same power per speaker.

if you're gonna do one amp per sub - do a C300.2 -- it is 500 x 1 bridged into 4 ohms which is "way mega gooder" :)

i mean i still think u can do the two C400.4's for your highs and get some other amp for the 3 subs -- like something that's stable at 1.33 ohms and will do about 1200 watts or better.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge

now look -- those polk sub amps only do like 500 watts dude... that's not enough for TWO 10" of the big momo subs... but its perfect for the baby-momo's... the new momo carbon fiber series ones that just came out come in 10" / 12" and 15" models. the 10" are 4 ohm coil, 300 watts rms (so 250 is fine), and are gonna be more sensitive than the big momo 10's which means they'll be louder, cleaner, clearer than the big momo 10's.

We've run a pair of MM124's off an Alpine MRD-M500 with great results in Bill Kohl's car, among others. More power is always great if you've got it (and don't abuse it), but 250 watts per MM104 or MM124 is fine.

A fourth MM124 can be added and run each pair off a 500.1.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by DrummerMP
    I am setting up a 5.1 surround sound in my "99" Si, consisting 1 mm6 for center, 1 pair mm6 each in kick panels, doors, and rear. Sub has 3 mm104.
    I need advise as to what polk/momo amplifiers I should use to get the best competition sound out of this setup.
    Thanks.
    DrummerMP

Why the extra pair of MM6's in the kicks?

I'd go MM6 in either the kicks or doors, 1/2 MM6 for center, and a pair of whatever you like in the rear.

You could run a 400.4 to the center and rears, and use a 300.2 for the front stage (kicks or doors). This way the front stage is more equally powered (the two channels of the 400.4 bridged to the MM6 center will be closer to the stereo output of the 300.2 running left and right channels.

Then use the two 500.1's for subs.