Where to put that SVS 20-39 PCi

Options
kberg
kberg Posts: 974
Gang,

Take a look at my system below. Can anyone provide some input as to where the SVS sub should go? Right now I have room behind the entertainment system where my Infinity sub currently is, as well as where the DVD tower currently is. Which place would be better? The reason I ask is because of the nearby door wall which might be too close to the sub if the sub is in the corner and cause too much door wall "rattling" - although my Infinity sub doesn't cause the door wall to rattle, the SVS may, yes?

Also, will reflections be sacrificed if the sub is placed where the DVD tower currently is?

I just want to get an idea where the sub would be best placed in advance. The last thing I want to do is move everything out of the corner, only to have to move the sub back out because of the possible concern above.

Thanks in advance.
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2003
    Options
    my advice is start in the corner which is most convenient. If the door rattles then fix the rattle:D

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks - having trouble getting that picture up - standby...
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2003
    Options
    http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspeakers&RoomsPt3.pdf

I have tamed many rattles - it's just part of the game with a powerful sub. Go where the sub sounds the best at the listening position.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Here's a pic in a temporary location...

http://www.surmount.com/oac/KB.html
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    If you place the PCi where the DVD tower currently is, you will probably rattle stuff in the equipment rack a bit, and expect to knock those knick-knacks off the oak fireplace mantle unless they are glued down.

Doc

SVS
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks, Doc. Ok, then. Behind the rack and in the corner it will likely go. Although just as a test (and before I bug a buddy of mine to help me move it there), I may just test it in the DVD tower location.

Also, take a look at the second picture I just posted in my link above, showing the right corner. I could move my computer desk further down the wall to make room for the sub and put it in that corner. Or, do you think it would still be better directly behind the entertainment center?

Perhaps the answer is "put it where it sounds best to you", but I wanted to ask for some experienced advice anyway.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2003
    Options
    i would try it...you might find that having it next to a certain thing makes that certain thing vibrate like crazy...good luck
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    edited out
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Does anyone have concerns with bass being that close to the electronics in the tv set? I had my modest PSW 350 behind my big screen tv in the corner as well and got concerned about the bass shortening the life of my tv and / or dislocating the lenses. So I moved it about five feet to the right but still in between my speakers.

But then I notice that a lot of folks have subs behind or right next to the tv. I guess it is okay (I did it for over a year behind the tv with no problems) but I guess it just makes me kind of nervous.

Am I being too overprotective??

Sorry kberg for hijacking just a little but it's sort of related to what you are going to do. By the way I feel that behind the tv is the way to go in your setup as well. Now if we could just get some peace of mind with the electronics I'll be joining ya!

PJ
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I would prefer my tv to fall over because of a subwoofer than die for no apparent reason...lol

that is just me...hehe
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    Sorry kberg for hijacking just a little but it's sort of related to what you are going to do. By the way I feel that behind the tv is the way to go in your setup as well. Now if we could just get some peace of mind with the electronics I'll be joining ya!

PJ

pjdami - No, your comment is VERY MUCH related and with the shear power of the SVS subs, I think it's a VERY relevant concern, so I am wondering the same thing too.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    Does anyone have concerns with bass being that close to the electronics in the tv set?

PJ

Nope... I need a tune up soon from CC on my Sony. If BASS detunes my optics then I don't want those optics and will move this RPTV. so far so good though.

:D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yes, electronics are of course suspectible to vibration. I have my rack several feet from my sub for that reason.

But my HDTV is right next to it and it is taking a toll on the TV. The screen has a small crease in it and the convergence needs to be reset regularly. I need to move the sub, but the room acoustics are perfect where it is right now, so I've been hesitant.

SVS
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited August 2003
    Options
    But my HDTV is right next to it and it is taking a toll on the TV. The screen has a small crease in it and the convergence needs to be reset regularly. I need to move the sub, but the room acoustics are perfect where it is right now, so I've been hesitant.

Preference of sound over video.... I love it. Yes, I have a HD rear projection tv too and this was a concern with the convergence / lenses movement I had even with the PSW 350. My tv cost me a little over two grand, and I didn't opt for the extended warranty on it.

A lot of us here may have only had our rigs for a year or two with the powerful subs and everything and we just haven't seen the effects on the tv life just yet if the tv is too close to the sub. Not to jinx any of us for sure (knocking on wood), but something to consider. Now they need to make bulletproof tvs

Looks like a projector with a screen is the ultimate way to go once the price comes down even more. Ron-Ps setup looks really nice...