Someone please enlighten me!!!!

2»

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2011
    Gonna get better. Got some Morel domes on the way to go with some tweets in the A pillars. That's gonna make a huge difference. Ill be able to get my mids and tweets to work together since theyll be less than inch from each other and on the same axis. Plus having them up high, I dont have to worry about legs getting in the way. I can't wait.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2011
    1. For a start, you need to hear good sound in a car. MECA has a show in Durant OK on 3/5/11. A couple of hours drive north on US-75. Listen to some of the sq cars, who knows you may run into Mac there. Sit in one of the cars, close your eyes and listen.

2. Damping will reduce the noise level in the car, yes. But you'll never get it down to 0. After a point you will hit diminishing returns. Plus, noise is only one of the issues. You also have to account for reflections and cancellations there from. There's more.

3. I run 2 amps rated at about 800 watts between them. I have probably never 'heard' the effect of 800 watts, ever. Based on the way my gains are set, a huge chunk of this power is tucked away for 'head room', so that i don't run out of clean power when hearing a dynamic transient.

4. We can go on with this debate but the fact is, car and home audio are two very different 'kettle of fish'. Perhaps the one common denominator is that you have to teach yourself to listen. The ability to focus in on the sound, while blanking out your mind, will let you hear a lot more. Then again doing this with a decent home setup wil make you notice a lot of details and you'll enjoy it. In a car this will only reinforce whats wrong. Suddenly you're seeing a lot of pot holes that you were oblivious to.

[QUOTEYou guys are kinda making it sound harder than pole-vaulting with a coffee straw.][/QUOTE]

:meh: thats baby stuff. :smile:
  • arun1963
    edited February 2011
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Gonna get better. Got some Morel domes on the way to go with some tweets in the A pillars. That's gonna make a huge difference. Ill be able to get my mids and tweets to work together since theyll be less than inch from each other and on the same axis. Plus having them up high, I dont have to worry about legs getting in the way. I can't wait.

Are you going to try running an extra pair of mids? I know you can make it work. :wink:
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited February 2011
    I've listened to a few SQ cars, and I completely agree that they're amazing. My Bose is crap compared to them, but it gets the job done.

However, nowhere in my post did I compare sitting down and listening to SQ cars to the typical noise that you incur in a standard vehicle... just that it's bull**** that need 2kW to hear in a car, and that amplifiers have come a long way in the past 20 years. I've only been balls deep for car audio for 10 years now, so I'll take your word.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    edited February 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »
    I've listened to a few SQ cars, and I completely agree that they're amazing. My Bose is crap compared to them, but it gets the job done.

However, nowhere in my post did I compare sitting down and listening to SQ cars to the typical noise that you incur in a standard vehicle... just that it's bull**** that need 2kW to hear in a car, and that amplifiers have come a long way in the past 20 years. I've only been balls deep for car audio for 10 years now, so I'll take your word.

Balls deep, huh? For 10 years?

Sweet.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • JimAckley
    edited February 2011
    Jstas wrote: »
    Balls deep, huh? For 10 years?

Sweet.

That's some pretty valuable input there bro.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    edited February 2011
    Would you rather I brag about my level of experience? I don't associate it with my genitals but you'll still be embarrassed.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • JimAckley
    edited February 2011
    touche. Sorry I'm having a less-than-ideal day and am letting my emotions run a bit. I'll hush now.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2011
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Are you going to try running an extra pair of mids? I know you can make it work. :wink:

No just one pair. The mids will be 500-5000 then the tweets from there to start. Probably cut the mids of at 4K @ 12db then the tweets off at 6.3 @ 12db for starters and go from there. I'm gonna cut into my doors so I can get my SR 6's in there to handle 500 and down.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    edited February 2011
    MacLeod wrote: »
    No just one pair. The mids will be 500-5000 then the tweets from there to start. Probably cut the mids of at 4K @ 12db then the tweets off at 6.3 @ 12db for starters and go from there. I'm gonna cut into my doors so I can get my SR 6's in there to handle 500 and down.

.....So we will never know if SDA with a processor, works in a car. You have to admit tho that as a concept, the principle behind SDA was kinda tailor made for a near-field and reflective environment.

Not very sure on this, but I think mounting the mids and tweets close to each other and on the same axis, would reduce the brassiness a bit.

Which may also mean that you can run the mids and tweets closer in terms of a xover point and use steeper slopes for sharper imaging. Then again, you have tons of eq for each driver. So I'm probably talking out of my hat.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited February 2011
    thanks for all those explainations Jstas and Ben. way useful.

I used to love car audio back in highschool but my Teaching Company CD's can only sound so good. :biggrin:
    design is where science and art break even.