Carver/SRS 1.2TL

Options
Big Dan R
Big Dan R Posts: 131
Can anyone tell me if a Carver M1.5T amp is compatible with the Polk SRS 1.2 TL's? Ive heard unofficially that there might be a common ground incompatability. The power rating is 350/ch
Thanks,
Dan
Post edited by Big Dan R on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,823
    edited August 2003
    Options
    From a previous thread......

"One of the things that George and I talked about this weekend was using Carver and SDA. It would appear from George's literature (he sold Carver products for a while, with that damn fine butt of his) that the Carver m1.5t IS fo' sho' a non-common ground amp (I knew that) but it is also the ONLY non-common ground amp. So if you are using anything other than the m1.5t with your SDA's, you should be good to go."

BDT

You will need to use the AI-1 interconnect cable or build one using a isolation transformer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Big Dan R
    edited August 2003
    Options
    So what does that mean??
    Dan
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Welp, two things: sounds like you don't want to use the Carver M1.5T with the SDA's, and George has a killer **** ... the latter of which seems most significant.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • F1nut
    edited August 2003
    Options
    It simply means that you need to use the AI-1 interconnect cable or make one. You will not be able to use the Carver with the SDA's without either. Of course, you could get a different amp which is a common-ground type and that would solve your problem too.

For the record, I haven't nor do I desire to see George's ****, that statement was from Troy and I've got no idea what the two of them have going on.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Big Dan R
    edited August 2003
    Options
    What exactly is this AI-1 cable and how is it connected? How much does one cost? I guess at this point I would rather go with this cable than get another amp. I can make an amp change in the future if im not satisfied with sound quality.... I just bought the SDA's and have not gotten them yet.
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Dan,

You've got mail.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Again I have to say that I ran my SRS's on a M-1.5t for ten years with just the standard SDA IC and no problem.

I owned a M-500t and returned it as it was not a common ground design and got the 1.5t, which I was told was a common ground design.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Big Dan R
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks Tour for the good news, now I have to get my cable selections, ie speaks, component inters and of course the TL's, and rock on...
    BTW, was born in Cleveland!
    BDR