HU Recomendations

spackelman
spackelman Posts: 31
edited January 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys,

My Pioneer unit craped out (DEH-P960MP) - great sound, when it worked...

Anyway, in the hunt for a new HU -

Currently running Polk speakers (no sub-woofer or amp) fantastic sound, no complaints.

Budget = about $300 - only criteria - CD player and built in bluetooth - no ipod or iphone...

Just looking for clean, crisp, occasionly loud sound.

Funny part - re-installed my oem unit and it fired right up...after yrs on the shelf.

Vehicle - 2002 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks in advance
Post edited by spackelman on

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,071
    edited January 2011
    I always stick with Pioneer and buy the model that suits my budget. They make great car gear.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2011
    Like anything else...go used if you want a bit more bang for your buck (if you're serious about SQ).

I have this same HU but w/o Bluetooth (the 794) and absolutely love it - http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX994/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X994.html?tp=5684

Great HU to build a system from IMO.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2011
    Big fan of anything Alpine. Have had several of their products and have never had anything but great service out of them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2011
    The p960 has a 13 band eq, time alignment etc. Were you using all these functions? If yes then you need to be a bit selective. If you aren't fussed about these features and weren't using them, then like Skip said a 100-150 unit will give you what you want.

Pio, Alpine, Mid level Kenny, Clarion are all good brands for basic units.
  • spackelman
    edited January 2011
    arun1963 wrote: »
    The p960 has a 13 band eq, time alignment etc. Were you using all these functions? If yes then you need to be a bit selective. If you aren't fussed about these features and weren't using them, then like Skip said a 100-150 unit will give you what you want.

Pio, Alpine, Mid level Kenny, Clarion are all good brands for basic units.

I was using the equalizer quite a bit, but not so much the time alignment.

Would prefer a unit with an adjustable equalizer, not just pre-sets.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again....
  • spackelman
    edited January 2011
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Big fan of anything Alpine. Have had several of their products and have never had anything but great service out of them.

Never experienced an Alpine. but Alpine is on top of my hit list.
  • eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited January 2011
    buy a used pioneer prs 800 or prs 880 off of ebay you will not be disappointed. i have seen them go as low as 95.00
  • eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited January 2011
    u can get a bt adapter for an extra 80.00
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    edited January 2011
    Pioneer, Kenwood, Ecloipse, Alpinee...really can't go wrong with any of them. They are all well built with looooong standing reputations. They all have features you're looking for at prices you can afford.

Like what was already mentioned, you can go used too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!