Sub- forward or down/up

Options
Fastmerc
Fastmerc Posts: 99
Hello again folks,

Well I think I know the answer to this question but I am asking anyway. I am remodeling a house I purchased and I am designing the entertainment wall. I currently have a 15" sub in a custom enclose tuned to about 25Htz. I built the box with the theory of a downfiring sub only I like to see my speaker. So I constructed a plexiglass top to act as the "floor" and faced it up. It has served me well for years. (I should be able to join the PWC)

Anyhow, My new room is pretty darn big(13w x 31L), concrete slab, three walls are block, one standard interior wall. I am building the entertain wall along the 13' side to make all my components and TV flush.(Except for my mains which will be out front slightly.) On the left side of the wall is the A\C return vent. So I proposed to make an equal sized opening in the right side of the wall and recess the sub.

Finally, my question :D If I recess the sub and take off the plexi to make if forward firing will I lose alot of bass or might it be better to stand it up but build a second box in the wall to sort of act like a horn? Or maybe some other suggestions?

Thanks,
Brett

I forgot to mention in order to keep the mains equidistant to each other and the listening position I really dont have room to just put the sub in the corner as I normally would.
Mains: RT20Ps
Center: CS350LS
R. Surround: RT16s
R. Center: CS350LS
F. Effects: LS/FX
Sub: Titanic 15
Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
TV: 55 LED LCD
Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
Speaker Cable:MC
Post edited by Fastmerc on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2003
    Options
    if you have room i would recomen on putting down a sub floor out of presure treated 2x4 or 2x2 and insolate. this will give you a few things you can run cabble under the floor of you have a cisplay monotor or just for seperateing wires. also warmth slab on grade concrete tiled is very cold and the floor will give warmth and also bring down your heat regesters.

to the sub q

a down flirtung sub is the same as a foward. you might get a boost at certan fr with the distance of the plate but that is it. i have alot of bass but the bass is not as boomey as it would be in a first floor room.

just make the wall a little bit bigger or buld a new sub enclorser. or maybe try ib if your ht is sealed from the rest of the basement that would be awsome.
  • Fastmerc
    Fastmerc Posts: 99
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Thanks Ganz,
    I dont have the room for a lifted floor as you suggested as the room hieght is only 7.5ft as oppossed to standard 8.

Anyone else have any input here?
    Mains: RT20Ps
    Center: CS350LS
    R. Surround: RT16s
    R. Center: CS350LS
    F. Effects: LS/FX
    Sub: Titanic 15
    Reciever: Yamaha RX-Z1
    TV: 55 LED LCD
    Interconnects:AR, RSF, MC
    Speaker Cable:MC