New upgrade path

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,579
edited January 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I am going to be a man and admit something...I WAS WRONG!!!

I discovered today that I have either a rear blown channel in my MTX amp, or a bad crossover on my Polk db6501 components. So I decided to see if I could tell a difference between the volume all the way up with all speakers and just the fronts....

I COULDNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am going to find out if its the amp or the crossover thats bad next weekend.

This is what I am thinking if its the amp....re-wiring the rears to the headunit and/or possibly replacing them outright w/ much much cheaper speakers and storing the db's for a later date....

Then purchasing a 125x2 Sundown amp for just the fronts and call it a day....

The other option if its the amp, I could get a 100x4 Sundown amp...but I dont know if I need that...

My only thought is that if I get the 4 channel amp no matter what I get next (looking like a truck rather than the caddy) I can either run 2 sets of speakers, or one set of components for the front, leave the rears on the headunit.....

thoughts????
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2011
    Id be surprised if your MTX amp is crapped out. Those things are pretty bulletproof. Id think youd have a better chance of bad wiring or a problem with the crossover. It would be easier to find out - just switch the left and right rear speaker inputs on the amp. If the bad one switches sides, you know the amp is fine.

As for rears, they do add to the overall output but chances are youd only notice it with an SPL meter.

Not sure what to tell you for an upgrade path cause Im really in the anti-rear speakers camp.

If you end up going with a new amp, Id suggest a big beefy 2 channel and then run a high quality set of front speakers in your new ride. 4 channels are more flexible in that you can bi-amp your speakers for greater tuning flexibility but if youre wanting a "plug and play" setup, 2 channel is the way to go.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D