Wall mount RTi38 or RTi28?

Options
andrewe77
andrewe77 Posts: 17
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Can you use the omni brackets to mount them into drywall or do you need a stud? My basement is being finished with metal studs so I don't have any wood to bite into, unless I put some up before the drywall.
Post edited by andrewe77 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Any bracket for either of those speakers really should be a clamp style bracket. I wouldn't suggest drilling or mounting anything at all into your speaker cabinets.

I mounted my RTi38's on the wall, but had the convenience of wood studs. There are drywall anchors, but the RTi38 in particular is quite heavy for that application. I wouldn't do it myself. The possible failure of one of the anchors ruins a section of your new wall.

Since you have the ability, I would frame around on that wall with wood studs. Just stud on each side of the metal stud, and have the electrician mount the electrical boxes on the wood. I would probably stud that whole room if possible, for the future.

OR just plan on using stands for the speakers, or get towers.

OR have you thought of In-Wall speakers? Polk makes some mighty fine versions. That would be the smoothest, and most non-intrusive way to set up your system. Plus you now have access to run all your speaker wire and boxes.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    Options
    this is a hardware question more than a speaker question, goto your local hardware store, tell them how much the speaker weighs and they will tell you how to get it up there. Most likely if you use special screws (you know those ones with springs that pop out and lock into place once their in the wall? what are those called?) you should be able to do it no problem.

Both speakers have a hole in the power port to allow hanging from a protruding screw.

I've hung a 35 lbs. speaker from my wall using normal screws directly into the drywall, but then again it wasnt long term (maybe 3 weeks? ) and there was a soft couch under the speaker in case of disaster.

In my opinion you should do it, save money on stands, The 38's arent THAT heavy... and the bracket torques some of the gravity force into the wall anyways.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Find a stud

Take a 3 inch hand drive nail, the ones that are roughly 1/8 inch thick. That will hold the RTi38 or i28 up there with ease. Other than that, take a Plastic piece that you put in the dry wall and put a screw in it so the plastic digs into the drywall and will reinforce that. Although I wouldnt do that. Not very sturdy - IMO......

Shefl building or a bracket or the hand drive if you have a stud....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Those same fasteners, and damned if I can remember the name either....also cause you to make the initial hole larger than you need, just to fit the spring and clamp behind the drywall.

Removal of it is possible, but then the end falls off into your empty wall. Not to mention that it will not set off the wall for the bracket to catch it, it will recess itself flush when you tighten it. I think those are the an ill choice for that application.

Certainly check with the hardware store, maybe some genius has thought of a better way to mount a 19 pound, bass thumping object to the wall....who knows.

DING! You could just use a sheet metal screw that was 3 inches long...or something along those lines. There are a bunch of metal fasteners, and you just need two, with about 1/4 of the head set off the wall.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I use a generic Nail Gun Nail for my RT25i.....hasnt fallen or showed signs of falling........
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • andrewe77
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'll explain it again... I'm thinking of buying the RTi28's as my surround speakers. They weigh 14 pounds a piece. I am using metal studs. Will the OmniMount bracket install into the drywall and hold the speaker or does it need to go into a stud?

If it needs a stud, then how has anyone successfully ceiling mounted these speakers as you don't have studs and probably don't have a floor joist in the right place. I would also guess that most of the time, you would be lucky to have a wall stud in the right place where you want to mount the speaker.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Any bracket for either of those speakers really should be a clamp style bracket. I wouldn't suggest drilling or mounting anything at all into your speaker cabinets.

You mention the RTi38 and RTi28 in your header. Regardless of the 19 lbs or 14 lbs, I wouldnt drill into the speaker.

Sure that bracket will work. I believe that you should use a stud, metal or not, IMO. With studs being 16 inches apart, average(Sid?), I think you would be suprised at how well placement works out.
    You could just use a sheet metal screw that was 3 inches long...or something along those lines. There are a bunch of metal fasteners, and you just need two, with about 1/4 of the head set off the wall.

This is all from previous posts. You ultimately have to decide which you feel more comforatble with, we are just tossing out information.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Toggle Bolts is the fastener that no one can think of the name. Took me a minute too.......
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The average house is built 16 inches on center. Then plus one per wall at the end. I *think* there is a truce every 18 to 22 inches, around there in your ceiling. Go up in your attic and measure....lol THIS IS*****IF******it is built right.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ken - DING!!!! You win a plush purple teddy bear, that's what they are....sheesh, what a bugger :)

Trey - YEA! What you said :)
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    Options
    yea toggle bolts!

dorok, toggle bolts can stick out too, you just need to screw it all the way in first to get it clamped down, but then you can back it out to where you need it. I took me a little while to figure this out (this shelving I was installing included toggle bolts) but it works great and is nice and sturdy.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    OH ok, cool, I didn't know that.....in that case then maybe they are a decent alternative.

Thanks Ceruleance :)
  • abergdc
    abergdc Posts: 1
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I've got my RTi28's wall mounted using the mounting bracket built into the back of the speaker. I've got a masonry screw in the wall and the bracket hooks over that screw. I know this doesn't help you but I did wonder, is there something wrong with doing it that way if you can?

Thanks.
  • andrewe77
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have a solution. Thanks to all.