Rt1000 started hummimg, why?

Options
beavis
beavis Posts: 1
edited July 2003 in Speakers
I bought RT1000's a year or so ago, they sound great but lately they have started humming when the amps turn on. Do I need to clean something? Did I hook them up wrong? I have the sub connection connected to the receiver separately, bypassing the internal crossover. Anyone got any thoughts?
Post edited by beavis on

Comments

• Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited July 2003
    Options
    are your amps outboard amps? If so then the Rca cables or the jack might be loose on the amp...

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    lately they have started humming

Maybe they're just in a really good mood!

Sorry :(
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    Options
    It's hard to tell. It could be a transformer, bad capacitor or a bad ground. I suggest you give Polk a call, your speakers are still under warranty. Try hooking them up with speaker wires with jumpers and see if the problem is still there.

Maurice
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    maybe interference from something around your house? i know they are magnetically shilded but my rti100s used to pick up interference from from my neighboor who was using a radio to talk to germany or something stupid like that, his huge antenna was interfereing with everything in my house, from TV's to phones to speakers...drives me nuts. the old **** needs to learn how to send email.

anyway maybe try turning on the amp without any speaker wire or RCA cables hooked up. if it hums then i would assume its an internal problem with the amp, if it stops then maybe its a bad signal coming from the receiver? just guessin here, hope it gave u some ideas
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Airplay,
    The FCC would frown on your neighbor interfering with your life...

beavis,

Welcome to the Club.

Some good advice above. Also could be corrosion on your RCA jacks and/or speaker terminations. Try making and breaking all IC's, banana plugs etc. a few times.

Or could just be it forgot the words... :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If he is a Ham operator his is certainly within the power contraints of the FCC(if he's licensed)< If he's on CB or side band (ssb) and is transmitting over 5 watts for AM or something like 7-20 on side band that is against the law.. interferring with any church, or government intercomm or such is also illegal.. or something like that, I was in CB/side band for years.. never liked the ham stuff, to many rules. I liked my tube linears to much..

on a side note, maybe the speakers are like that Silvester stallone movie, where he humms when he races, hmmm hmm hmmm, maybe they want to be winners LOL
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp