the latest on the system...

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited August 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
im getting through to thezeb, theyre coming around slowly but surely
in the end, if they dont, theyll be getting a blown amp back anyways...so either way...im getting my amp
im recieving one 550S in the mail shortly, as i understand, its already been shipped
im ordering the wiring etc from sounddomain tomorrow and the stuff from knukonceptz later today or tomorrow
im guessing friday i will have around $300+ to spend on audio
and $215 of that will be going into the savings account that i took the money out of for the wiring
i got the subs back from polk...everything is screwed down cept for 2 screws...i stripped out the heads on the ones that came with them...oops..so i went out and bought some today...so im 2 screws away from having the subs completely done
im going to leave the box in the room for now...wait for the amp to come screw it in...then wait for the wiring to come in...wiring will probably come after amp
but i figured if i waited this long...i can wait a little longer
itll be easier...the back seat and the box are both in my room right now...theyll stay in here until the wiring is put under the carpet
figured itd be easier just to leave them in here...the box weighs 90lbs...well...87...but i dont want to carry it in and out...and the backseat...well i dont need it...lol
later today im going to make a "map" of where all the wiring is going to go on the floor to seperate everything and how all the distribution blocks etc will go
i need to go ahead and order some ring connectors...misc. stuff like that so ill have everything...go to radio shack...get some y splitters for the 5.0s, and hopefully ill have all my bases down so i can just lay it in and hook it up
what should i cut the frequency off at the subs?
85ish?
all this is going to force me to read my manual for my head unit...lol
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    headunit crossovers are **** (even on a deck of the quality of that pioneer) -- u're best to use the crossovers on the amp's themselves for optimum sound quality -- i believe RF has 24 db/octave low pass filters that are phase corrected... with a dial... so just look at it and peg the dial around 85-ish or whatever you are normally happy with... 85-ish oughta be dead on for a polk sub.

all your stuff's in u're room eh?

its like you can just sit on the back seat, with your feet up on the sub box, have a beer and watch some baseball on tv -- you're this close *holds fingers really close together* to being a hillbilly who has a early 70's Buick front car seat in his living room as a couch and one of those big industrial wooden wire spools for a coffee table.

:p

u gotta post up some pics when you're done... 4 amps is gonna look very intimidating to anybody who thinks than can "out audio" you. :D
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    lol...the 201S isnt coming for another month or two
    xm radio is next...then momo4x6s, then the 4th amp
    are wire gauge connectors good?
    ive never had to use one before
    b/c im going to have 8awg going to the 201S but i looked on a website and it said it accepted up to 10awg, called RF and he thought it took 12
    im sure i can stuff 8 in a 10 but probably not in a 12...and if the adapters are worth anything ill get them...but i dont know if theres any unforseen problems with them or not
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    12? dude i dont know any amp thats rigged for 12 gauge.

hell 10 is even ridiculous... its gotta be 8 but i dunno.

you can always just strip a little more than usual (like 1" instead of 1/2") at the end of the wire, and then separate the braided strands in half and snip off half of them (or whatever is necessary to get it in the hole). that would surely work.

........ i'm watching old episodes of star trek-deep space nine -- again its 3 am and i'm in the forum here ... why? can't sleep... anywho -- major kira is pretty cute... lol
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    cutting off the wire is what i was thinking of doing
    and knukonceptz doesnt carry anything smaller than 8 in power wire
    i wish $500 would magically make its way torwards me...i would be a happy man
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    ok i give up...i tried reasoning, then i tried bitching...neither worked
    so the amp i have at home, is going to be blown and sent my back and im going to get my credit card reimbursed
    canceling the other 550S order and getting my credit card reimbursed on that too
    theyre saying they have to check all this billing info and i have to go to the bank to fill out paperwork(not really sure why...)or maybe i have to fill out paperwork for them or something...i just remember yelling at them for being a bunch of a**holes and asking them if i had to fill out any paper work to get my card reimbursed...and i dont
    so im going to do that and send a money order in
    and thatll be the end of it hopefully
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    i'm startin to feel like a real **** for referring you to the zeb to get anything-- i'd been told they were great from others... guess they suck a fatty though...

i'm a little confused about one thing tho --->

why do you have to send them a money order if you want u're money back??

... i dunno what u're exactly doin but if u have to go amp hunting again, sounddomain has some stuff on sale that might make u happy...

Hifonics Nemesis NX600 -- 600 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged -- on sale for $225 (marked 350 minus 125 instant rebate)
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/HIFNX600

Hifonics Zeus 600 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged -- on sale for $280
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/HIFZX6000

Phoenix gold 1200.1 1200 x 1 at 2 ohms -- $480
    http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jmnsergoo
    (speed sound claims to be a dealer with "full mfg warranty" on their abot us page -- id call PG to be sure on that, but SS was cool when i was lookin for DX 10's, didn't have any but they were nice and helpful).

on a side note - i dunno what u're payin for that 200S /201S but its on sale for $120 as well (Punch 200S)

ikesound.com has the 201S for $105
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1388
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    you misunderstood me a little...im going to get my money back on everything...and pretty much start over
    after i get my money back im going to send in a money order instead of using the credit card
    itll put me through a lot less frustration i think
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    ooooohhhhh

starting over is good.

:)

hopefully they wont shaft u in the rear this time.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited August 2003
    ok, ive spent the last hour or so on the internet getting all the wiring and stuff i need
    i added a capacitor and buss bar(to connect the caps) to the sounddomain total
    new total:242.53
    went to carmedia1.com
    ordered the anl fuse holder
    fuse holder: $14
    shipping: 14.39
    now that is a bunch of crap...but even with the price at $28...i could find nothing cheaper
    next stop
    onlinecarstereo.com
    pioneer xm tuner: 139
    pioneer xm antenna: 59
    total: 198
    knukonceptz:
    30 ft 1/0awg
    15 ft 4 awg
    10 ft 8 awg
    total:86.85
    everything ive listed but the knukonceptz stuff will be ordered with a money order cuz i dont want anything else going through my credit card due to past problems with thezeb
    speaking of thezeb
    i called b/c i hadnt gotten my money back for the amp i sent in 1-2 weeks ago...they were sposed to put it back in my credit card account
    talked to a guy who emailed the return dept. to see whats up
    got a message on the machine today
    i gave them the cell number to call, but they called the house anyways and i was at work....****
    but anyways the guy is kind of laughing at the whole situation...which pissed me off...called back...they close at 5
    i get off work at 5...
    so i gotta call back monday
    im also going to get the return authorization for this other amp
    anyways
    none of the stuff has actually been ordered yet...i just have all the paper work done...get the money orders monday...send everything off then
    then as soon as i can im going to order the knukonceptz stuff
    im in no big hurry right now...dont have any amps...
    and i wasnt planning on getting the extra cap...but i did...some the momo 4x6's are out of reach once again...lol
    but thats all for now
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    i go away for 3 days and you buy 500 dollars worth of stuff... my opinion of satellite radio has changed...

after 3 and a half days of driving around through a state park that is like 600++ acres and has no cell phone reception, virtually no radio reception (2 stations maybe, both suck), i found the satellite radio to be giving me its usual reception quality for like 95% of the time, and on rare occasion when i really got into a heavily wooded area it clipped out for a moment and came back...

so i'm back liking it again :)