Looking for 2 or 3-way comps with LOTS of midbass and soft tweets

Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited February 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
One of the woofers on my current bi-amped Polk Audio MMC6500's is cutting in and out. Could be blown, could be some wire/connection issues. I'll try to troubleshoot it but would like to prepare myself for the worst and start lookign at something else to replace it in case it is blown.

Soooo.....

What i'm looking for:
1. VERY punchy kick/bass, distinctive lower midrange and midbass
2. Pleasant, soft tweeters, no "ear piercing"
3. Bi-amp'able but that's not a must.
4. Good looking x-over since it'll be displayed in my amp rack but that's not a must either, sound itself is a lot more important.
5. 6.5'' woofer since that's what my door cut out is, can't make it bigger since door panel will not fit back without heavy modification (don't wanna do that)

What i have to power it with:
Polk Audio PA500.4 that does
90 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
125 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
250 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

Why 2-way:
Below in red is "why not"

If bi-amp'able - All is nice and easy - front amp channels to tweets, rear to woofers
In that case i don't have any more amp channels to be used for additional speakers if i ever wanted them
If not bi-amp'able - i can always use another set of woofers in rear doors to play additional midbass/lower midrange.

Why 3-way:
Below in red is "why not"
From what i know there's always more midbass from 3-ways since there's a midbass/lower midrande dedicated woofer.
Would still like it to be half-way bi-amp'able (if such a thing even exists)
Meaning i can use front amp channels for tweets and midrage and rear for midbass
Will need to figure out where the hell to install midrange since i don't have an opening for it but that's doible i guess as long as results justify the means

Budget: around $300 but not too much more then that.

Honestly the only points of refferences i got is Polk products since that's what i've been using for a while so only SR6500 (which is discontinued and close to impossible to get now) and MM6501 come to mind. I'm sure there's a bunch of other options out there i'm not even aware of, any help/tips/feedback would be appriciated.
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2011
    I think, speakers that have a heavy punch in the mid bass a.k.a. focals, bostons, jbl etc, by default seem to have bright tweets. Extra impact in the mid bass eats into midrange clarity. This will almost by default mean that the tweet has to cover for this loss. Not a very scientific explanation I'm afraid :smile:. Anyway this is one type of sound.

Then you have speakers where the mid bass has high energy but maybe not as much mass. I would put the SR's, Morels, TB etc into this category. These speakers have a more detailed midrange and hence better imaging cues. Part of it could also be the fact that these mids play higher than the first lot. Here the tweets just seem brighten up the upper mids a bit and fill in the highs. The sound is more laid back. The two sounds are very different.

If you're shopping for speakers I would suggest that you hear as many as you can before deciding. I think the sr-5250 are still available in some places for about $350 or so.
  • thesurfer
    thesurfer Posts: 574
    edited January 2011
    Sounds like the rti6, is right up your ally,, been replaced, so you can get them cheap,,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2011
    thesurfer wrote: »
    Sounds like the rti6, is right up your ally,, been replaced, so you can get them cheap,,

In a car?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    edited January 2011
    Dude, really? DXi series, hands down.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/dxi/index.php?s=dxi6500

The silk polymer 1" dome is about as close and you can get to the stellar Polk dB3000 silk dome from the mid-90's. Not screechy at all and excellent off-axis response. Closest one to it is the DX3000: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/recent/dx3000/

The DXi set looks to have a similar silk/polymer composite dome tweeter and at $240 retail for a 6.5" component set, it's hard to beat.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    Before anything else i just realized i forgot to include very important factor here - while i want them to get loud SQ is my main priority. Best of both worlds if you will but sq takes the main stage here.

Also midbass i'm looking for is a "techno" kind of midbass - more of a kick/punch as opposed to "rap" kind - extended, low and boomy.
    arun1963 wrote: »
    I think, speakers that have a heavy punch in the mid bass a.k.a. focals, bostons, jbl etc, by default seem to have bright tweets. Extra impact in the mid bass eats into midrange clarity. This will almost by default mean that the tweet has to cover for this loss. Not a very scientific explanation I'm afraid :smile:. Anyway this is one type of sound.

Makes perfect sense lol
    Kinda like my techno/rap kind of midbass LOL
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Then you have speakers where the mid bass has high energy but maybe not as much mass. I would put the SR's, Morels, TB etc into this category. These speakers have a more detailed midrange and hence better imaging cues. Part of it could also be the fact that these mids play higher than the first lot. Here the tweets just seem brighten up the upper mids a bit and fill in the highs. The sound is more laid back. The two sounds are very different.

If you're shopping for speakers I would suggest that you hear as many as you can before deciding. I think the sr-5250 are still available in some places for about $350 or so.

I believe i'm looking for a "second group".
    If someone can post a link to 5250 for or under $350 i'll def concider.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Dude, really? DXi series, hands down.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/dxi/index.php?s=dxi6500

The silk polymer 1" dome is about as close and you can get to the stellar Polk dB3000 silk dome from the mid-90's. Not screechy at all and excellent off-axis response. Closest one to it is the DX3000: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/recent/dx3000/

The DXi set looks to have a similar silk/polymer composite dome tweeter and at $240 retail for a 6.5" component set, it's hard to beat.

Honestly i really don't know much about DXi but to me they look like re-named/re-marketed db's which aren't bad speakers by any means but i can't imagine liking going back to db/dxi after bi-amped momos. Just like SR is a different league comparing to momos momo's are different league comparing to db.
    If anything i'd add a few more bucks and get new MM6501, i'm sure they are better then DXi
    DSkip wrote: »
    I've been debating parting with my MMC6500's, and if I decide to do so I'll give you a heads up if you are interested.

Def interested but i need to see if i can troubleshoot mine first. it COULD be just wiring/connections
    DSkip wrote: »
    don't be turned off by their 5.25" stature. These can still handle the low notes as well as many 6.5" speakers can.

To be honest that IS why i'm hessitating on getting them lol. If i could lay my hands on cheaper SR6500 i'd buy them - 5250.... idk... it's 5250 lol

How are SRs not bi-amped?
    I can always add a dedicated midbass to SR5250 if needed and use my amp's rear channels for them.

Also - how would you guys rate DLS and Hertz? (ones that are in my price range, maybe up to $400 a set, might even find some more expensive ones used so they would still be within my budget)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    Anyone?
    DLS?
    Hertz?
    SR5250? not bi-amped?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2011
    Depends on the series. A set of SR5250's up against a $300-350 set of Hertz or DLS speakers, the Polks will win hands down.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    How are SR5250's not bi-amped?
    If i go with them i'll run them bi-amped for at least some time then (depending on how i like them) will either stay with it or will add some midbass speakers which means i'll need to free up my amp's rear channels.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2011
    As long as you attenuate the tweeters, they're great. That's the only benefit of biamping, more flexibility in tuning the tweeters but the crossover has an attenuation feature so you can still get pretty close.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    edited January 2011
    Vital wrote: »
    How are SR5250's not bi-amped?

Not sure why you keep asking this, but for the record the xovers on the sr's, allow you to bi-amp.
    Vital wrote: »
    If i go with them i'll run them bi-amped for at least some time then (depending on how i like them) will either stay with it or will add some midbass speakers which means i'll need to free up my amp's rear channels.

If you're running a sub you may not feel the need for a separate mid bass.
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    My MMC6500's are not blown, it was lose connection but a "new comps" bug bit me lol.
    Got an opportunity to pick up SR5250. Not sure on the exact price but it will be in my range.

Is it really worth it to replace MMC6500 with SR5250 only for the sake of "new comps"?
    I remember someone here saying 5250 don't go to low, only about 60 or so but since i'm also running SR124 sub cut at 60Hz i'm sure i'll be just fine.
    Really nothing to complain about MMC except for it's harsh tweeters when not bi-amped thus i'd like some feedback on MMC6500 vs SR5250
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2011
    Just to throw it in here, SR5250's go on sale from time to time at Fry's Electronics.

Check out a store locally or go online, I've seen them for as little as 299.99
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, problem with Fry's is that there are no locations on east coast. I called a few locations a while ago when SR5250s were on that sale - everyone told me they can not ship and honor that price, it has to be local walk-in and in some stores even have to have a fryer in hand showing that sale price.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2011
    Lame.

Well if you don't find anything anytime soon and they're on sale out here I'll give you a shout. Don't mind sending a pair out there (long as you pay for the item+shipping). There are 2 Fry's locations out here (one is 40mins away, other is an hr away).
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2011
    I was going to suggest CDT, but then saw that your problem was solved. :smile:
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    Even thou my MMC5600s are all good i was still in "let's get some SRs" mode so just paid for used but supposably in perfect condition, not even fully broken in yet SR5250, should have it by the end of the week.

Any comments of active 3-way out of SR5250 and woofers from MMC6500 ?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2011
    Should work. I ran a 3 way in my Dodge Ram using the 5250's and the SR 6's for midbass. I love the 5250 mids so any chance to use them, you should.

• Vital
    edited January 2011
    Thanx guys, i'm freaking psyched :)
    What frequency range are we talking about here for an active 3-way??

Also - (just thinking outloud since i don't really know much about SRs yet AND i don't have an active x-over yet so SRs will be ran bi-amped for now) - just in case SRs aren't gonna cut it for my "club feel hard techno/drum'n'bass" expectations when bi-amped - can i use SR' passive crossovers with SRs tweeters and MMC's woofers?
    Again, last paragraph is just thinking outloud :)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • arun1963
    edited February 2011
    To run a three way, you will either need a 3 way passive xover (the sr xover is a 2 way) or a hu that lets you set an active 3 way or a processor etc.

To my mind the whole point of running 3 ways is to be able to select the xover points that give the best synergy between the drivers and for the acoustics of your car. Hence active. It's tough to take a call on what xover points would be best as again it would depend on the drivers being used and your cars acoustics. However as a general starting point you could look at Sub 20-50/60hz, Mid Bass 50-300hz, Mid Range 300-3 to 4 khz and tweets upwards from there.

One other thing, 3 ways require a lot of work and dsp to get them dialed in right. TA, good eq etc are almost a must.

Here's a link for a list of HU's / processors that will let you go active for a 2way + sub and 3 way+sub. Hope it helps.

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38473
  • Vital
    edited February 2011
    If i go with 3-way active it'll have to be an external x-over as none of double din/navigation units are active and navi is an absolute must for me.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • arun1963
    edited February 2011
    Yes, either stuff like Rane, Behringer which gives you 'active' and TA but no eq, or a processor that does everything.