i want these grilles!

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=222507&page=2
who the hell would you go to to get these things made?
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    ... this is why i need to learn to glass... i look at this car and i say "my god... if only i could build kick panels like that..." and "goddamn i wish i could make a door panel look like that".

beautiful, and i mean beautiful install... very classy.

the grilles--i dunno, go to josh... lol... prolly not the answer u wanted cody...lol
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2003
    Those grills were SLA'd here at Polk. There's no chance of getting them unless you want to spend a huge amount of money, and it's not worth it because the material is so easily destroyed.

Have you seen the new Polk/ Momo coax grills? They are very similar- not exactly like the sub grills but they are a spoke grill with a nice silver finish. They'll be available very soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2003
    Those grills were made in-house here at Polk on an SLA laser cutting machine. They were one of a kinds made when we were trying to convince everybody that we should make a spoke style grill to match the sub grills. Anyday now, the new Momo coaxials will hit the stores with a grill similar to those, so don't spend hundreds of dollars getting those grills made. We also have a replacement grill coming out for the MM6 that matches the coaxials. The SLA material was brittle and weak anyways. The new DB line also has a spoke style grill.
    Polk/Momo
    Polk DB series
    My Civic
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    Why didn't you use the SLA grilles to make a mold? It wouldn't have to be fiberglas or anything. It could have been epoxy resin. That stuff would be strong enough to use as a grille. At least as strong as the current plastic MOMO grilles.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    molds are fantastic -- allows you to use a stronger material for any purose...

perfect example is the rear fender extention (shroud that goes over the tail light assemblies and along the entire rear portion under the trunk from trunk to bumper) on the cadillac...

made of really **** old 70's rubber... guy in texas made a mold and remade them out of ABS plastic -- charged me 150 bucks shipped with a lifetime "the crack due to defect in material and u get new ones" warranty.

i imagine it's gotta be not too easy to make a mold of something though... once you harden the thing in plaster you've gotta saw it in half and get it out (or am i way off base?)...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    those grilles look sweet though
    i already have the mm6 installed in my truck...and it would be impossible(Well, not impossible, but a lot more work than i want to do)to get those grilles to work...but i could find a use for them somewhere
    they look sweet
    im going to take a class on how to glass and maybe even carbon fiber someday...maybe
    but man that car looks sweet
    -Cody
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2003
    Thanks! If you like carbon, check out the WRX we just did.
    WRX
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    any chance on me sending my truck to polk and having them deck it out???
    worth a try...
    -Cody