carver tfm15cb lights

Options
warlocks1
warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
edited July 2003 in Electronics
I own 3 Carver TFM-15CB's and 2 of them have burnt out lights. Has anyone ever changed them? If so, where do you get the bulbs and how hard is it? Thanks, Jeff
Post edited by warlocks1 on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Here's the number for Sunfire... 425-335-4748.

All Carver gear is still supported. I'm sure they still have the parts and the service manual for your TFM, but suggest you look at ebay for a manual. An ebay copy will likely be both cheaper and better quality.

I've never owned a TFM, but I would not think changing the light would be very difficult to do.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Just to warn you before you go and purchase one of those service manuals off of EBay. I did that when trying to replace my M-500t's lights and I found it very very little help in both finding the right bulb and replacing it correctly. I never did replace the bulbs (mainly because I couldnt find any LED's with the same ratings as the bulbs) but keep us posted on how this goes for you, as I am interested and many others I am sure are, carver is pretty popular here and those lights go out all the time.
  • Tour2ma
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Cer,
    Did you call Carver (Sunfire) CS?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • warlocks1
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I really don't won't to buy a service manual. I am not real concerned about the lights as they are hidden behind a door. I was just wondering in case I ever decide to sell.
    Cer, how do you like the 500t? I got a 500 (non T) at a garage sale for $10.00. The RCA post was broken and the binding post were missing. I have an Audio dealer in the area fixing it for me. They are charging $169.00. I assume it is worth it. I have 3 TFM15's bridged for my fronts and center and a Carver 1.0t for my sides. I am planning on replacing my Adcom 555 with the M500. Thanks, Jeff
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Warlocks - Try this place for a modestly priced service manual. I used them for my NAD gear, excellent original scans with heavy paper and loom bound, for $7.99/ each. He is on Ebay also.

www.vintageaudiomanuals.com
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • warlocks1
    edited July 2003
    Options
  • Ceruleance
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Tour, I haven't called Carver/sunfire yet because im a lazy **** I have free time in august (im a full time student) and will probably get it done then. Warlocks, sorry to say it man, but I think you are getting a bad deal. Im not saying that for the hours he spends and the parts and everything that they are overcharging, just that if you are any good with a soldering iron you can do the install yourself most likely, unless some of the network is also gone, which may be the case considering the proximity to the posts.

This is for all forum members, for speaker parts, go here: http://www.amabilidade2002.com/index.htm
    They have a huge selection of quality stuff and although they appear to only deal in bulk, they will quote you a rate for smaller quantities. Gold plated banana plugs? Monster cable charges 20.00 for 4 ends, I got 20 of them (enough for every end of every wire in a 5 channel system) for 20, including shipping.

On my feelings about the M-500t: I think its great, I prefer it's sound over the M-1.0t, although I havent done much extensive A and Bing. Mantis apparently thinks Carver sucks, and they may, I have no real experience, but its the most I can afford, and it kicks most receiver's butts.

About the parts website, it's a company based in Portugal, and so you have to send them a bank cheque to order (bank cheques cost like 6 bucks.) If anyone is planning on ordering, we should get together some sort of bulk order and then once the parts get state side someone can disseminate them in manila envelopes through first class mail for next to nothing. Let me know if anyone is interested, I may put in an order soon.
  • warlocks1
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The wires connecting the binding posts were cut too short to reattach. The tech has to run new wires and they go underneath the board and all around the amp. The RCA plugs were broken and they clip or solder underneath the main board. I am not skilled enough to disconnect everything, lift up the board and figure out how to attach the rca's and the binding post wires then try to put everything back together and hope it works.
  • Ceruleance
    edited July 2003
    Options
    dude, I just realized you live like right next to me, Which yard sales are you going to man? I need to get my butt over there
  • Tour2ma
    edited July 2003
    Options
    wl1,

You did fine.

M-500t's in good condition sell for $300+ on ebay. Have only seen one M-500 listed and to my surprise it sold for about the same.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• warlocks1
    edited July 2003
    Options
    CER, where do you live? Most of the yard sales I go to are in Burke/Springfield. I only hit a couple this year due to kids swin meets. I usually find a couple of good items a year. This and a Sansui integrated amp were the only finds so far.
  • Ceruleance
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I live off of popes head road. I'm gonna get out to some yard sales this month if I can. How many do you usually goto before you find something worthwhile?
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    This is my objective also, after hearing some good news about seeing things at auctions.

Hey Cer, we should try and hit some estate auctions down in McLean/ Great Falls and Potomac....they may have some sleepers there...interested?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • warlocks1
    edited July 2003
    Options
    It is all hit or miss. I have gone to hundreds of yard sales without finding anything. You just never know. The key is to get up early and go to single family homes. I have never found any good equipment at townhouses
  • Ceruleance
    edited July 2003
    Options
    warlocks that makes sense about town houses, would suck to buy excellent equipment and never get it past like 50% of what it can do without getting a citation or something.

dorok, good thinking about the estate sales. I have always been interested in checking these out after seeing ebay auctions for cool stuff people say they picked up at estate sales, but I never see them advertised or anything. I am actually in potomac MD all the time, let me know if you know of anything, I am definitely interested
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Cer- OK no problem. I will keep my eyes open and the Washington Post in search mode. I'll let you know if anything looks good.