Any drummers on the forum play electric drums?

zarrdoss
zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
edited March 2011 in The Clubhouse
I used to play drums a long time ago never played any gigs or anything just for the hell of it. I have had several acoustic sets some were real nice but I have always lived out in the sticks where bothering neighbors was not a problem but now thats a different story, plus the wife factor. I am thinking electric drums and was wondering if anyone on the forum plays em? It seems Yamaha and Roland are the best but I don't have 7k to spend on Roland V drums was going to put a cap on it of 1k for the time being, here are some of the sets I was thinking about.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-DM10-Studio-Drum-Kit?sku=712761

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Simmons-SD9K-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=483503

there is also this older used Roland set and I can get it for 600 but have to buy a new bass trigger for use of a double pedal. so it wouldn't be much cheaper.
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/msg/2091903487.html

I am not looking to play gigs with this or with anyone for that matter but I do play pretty aggressive and want something that will stand up. Thanks for reading!
Post edited by zarrdoss on

Comments

• jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited January 2011
    http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-DTXPLORER-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=490906

I bought this set for my son for Christmas. His acoustic set is a Tama Rockstar. He wanted something to play late at night so Dad could sleep:wink:He wanted a more expensive set but I set the budget at around $500. He says it does not compare to playing his acoustc set. You can spend big bucks on electronic sets. Good Luck with your pursuit.

Jim
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited January 2011
    I really like that Alesis kit. More specifically, the pads. They're larger, easier targets, and feel more like acoustic drums. Not sure about currently, but the pads used to be made by Hart Dynamics, who make fantastic stuff. Best triggers I've used.

I've had that same Roland TD-7 kit since they came out. It's a very versatile little kit with GREAT sounds. Best of the lot, IMO. The sounds are completely customizable. Fair warning though, the manual absolutely sucks. All the info is there, but Roland should shoot their technical writers in the head, and start over. :biggrin: $600 is still quite high, unless in mint condition. I paid ~$1300 brand new-around 1996:eek:

Of the lot, and if I were buying today, I'd go for the Alesis. I think they are a close second to Roland for quality of sound samples. I suggest you head to a Guitar Center, and play on all of them. Hopefully, they'll have a salesman with some knowledge of these kits to help you.
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    Thank you for your replys. I have arrived at that decission on the Alesis, the Roland is in excellent condition and lightly used but cannot justify the price, a friend of mine works in the pawn shop and they are in the hole 650 on it, so they are already taking a loss just to get rid of it.
    Guitar center does not have that particular kit and I was looking at Musicians friend because they take Bill me later. Sad thing is I can get a acoustic 8 piece double bass kit complete with hardwear and Zildjian cymbals for less. I just have to move so I can play it. But might be moving anyway. so well see.
  • LessisNevermore
    edited January 2011
    Good choice. Not sure if you knew, Musician's Friend used to be the internet presence of Guitar Center. They have separate sites now, but are still under same umbrella. If you find a great price on MF, GC will generally match.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited January 2011
    I really depends on playing style. If you beat the hell out of a set, buy whatever will hold up to your style. If you play alot of intricate snare rudiments with finesse, you will really appreciate a mesh style head that feels lot more like an acoustic snare. Toms aren't as critical in this matter and success with a double bass on a digital set is dependent on great triggers and great pedal. Don't skimp on quality in the areas that are most important to you, and you should be good. Digital sets make mixing and matching a set easier too, since hardware is similar on most brands. I like Roland and Yamaha with Alesis just behind the top 2.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited January 2011
    I have a hybrid Alesis (DM5 Module) Hart Dynamics (Acupads) setup as well as the Ecymbal that looks and feels like a real cymbal not the rubber ones. The Hart pads are one of the best feeling pads I have ever tried. They use real drumheads but are almost silent they make a thud sound. They aren't quite as muted as mesh but feel more realistic. The Roland ones are nice but are to bouncy and cost prohibitive IMHO.

If you are serious about feel you need to try them out. I had a DTXpress kit first but transferring what I did from Electronic to Acoustic felt awkward at best.

The new top line Alesis sound module is awesome and expandable as is the Yamaha one. Pearl just got back into this as well and has a set that looks real and there module is supposed to be pretty good and expandable too.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,523
    edited January 2011
    i know its probably late the td-4 is 899 with a 200 mail in rebate....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    have not got anything yet, went and played a few at Guitar center and didn't really like them as much as acoustic, I did see this and it seemed to play real nice and for the money I might just have to find a way to sound proof a portion of the basement.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percussion-Pro-8-piece-Double-Bass-Drum-Set-with-Black-Lugs-484089-i1455884.gc

and thanks again everyone!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,169
    edited January 2011
    I can picture you behind a kit!!! It's been 20 years for me.
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    been about 7 years for me here is by best old set

Attachment not found.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,169
    edited January 2011
    NICE!!!!! Kevin if you can play by all means get another set... I have been thinking about it off and on for the last two years,I just don't have the space other then the garage..
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    Thanks, thats one of the reasons I was thinking electric. or if space is the issue, one like this

Attachment not found.
  • LessisNevermore
    edited January 2011
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    have not got anything yet, went and played a few at Guitar center and didn't really like them as much as acoustic, I did see this and it seemed to play real nice and for the money I might just have to find a way to sound proof a portion of the basement.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percussion-Pro-8-piece-Double-Bass-Drum-Set-with-Black-Lugs-484089-i1455884.gc

and thanks again everyone!

Nice looking Pearl kit!, Which model?

If you are considering an acoustic kit in that general price range, I'd look at PDP. The hardware on the Sound Perc. kits might look like Pearl hardware, but there is a vast difference in quality. (think stripped threads when tightening stands, etc.) IMO, you could do better for the money.

I bought my God-son a 7 pc. PDP (by DW) kit a couple years ago. The shells are poplar, and have no business sounding as good as they do, (~$800) for the price. Lacquer finish too. Very good hardware. I am still impressed by their sound every time I sit behind them, even with the 'crappy' stock heads.
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    Thanks, it was an export. the SP set at Guitar center looked pretty well made and they said they have not had any problems with it or complaints besides the heads were not that great. The hard wear looks identical to Pearl, probably the same thing made in China. I know I would replace them as well as the pedals and hi hat stand but still in the deciding phase.
  • Joe08867
    edited January 2011
    If I were going lower end real kits I would look at Mapex then Tama, Pearl or Orange County Percussion. PDP is more Higher Middle Class IMHO and if you don't mind the price are very nice kits and the hardware is really DW stuff with a different name.

Price wise the Mapex Stuff is hard to beat. Real Maple shells, good sturdy hardware and lots of finish choices.

I Have an older Pearl set myself in odd Sizes that I custom ordered with Birch inner and Maple outer plies. 24"Bass 13 and 14" Mounted toms, 16 and 18" Floor toms and three different snares, 6.5x14 bell brass, 3x13 brass piccolo and 5.5x14 9ply maple. All Paiste Cymbals and there are a ton of them, 4 crashes, 2 splashes, 2 rides and 2 Hi Hats 13 and 14".
  • LessisNevermore
    edited January 2011
    Pics! Let's see 'em. Especially all the Paiste's. (I have a bit of a cymbal fetish myself):biggrin:

Did OCDP come out with a budget line? They used to be the mucho $$$ flavor of the month "custom-made" drums. I know they started making some to sell at Guitar Center, but IIRC, they were still pretty pricey.

If you stick with PDP's mid-line, they are still in the budget realm. Even their TOTL maple kits are very reasonably priced.
    Gretsch is making some very nice kits on the cheap too.
  • Joe08867
    edited January 2011
    I have to look around for pics. The kit is stacked at the moment and the band is not getting back together. :(

I have been using the Electronic Kit at home for some time now.
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    Yes pics please. I did add a bunch of stuff to that set about 6 more cymbals a gong some roto-toms and octabons. but never bothered to taks a pic. duh.
  • LessisNevermore
    edited January 2011
    Here's part of mine.

P8300881.jpg

Gotta love it. I gave up brand loyalty to cymbal makers years ago. Now, if I find one that I like the sound of, and it fits with the rest, I'll find room for it.:biggrin:
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    :eek:Holly $h!t:eek: thats allot of drums
  • madfin
    madfin Posts: 11
    edited January 2011
    Attachment not found.

Purchase what you can affored. i made a mistake by purchasing the Yamaha DTX basic model. After spending 2K later this is what i have now! :wink:
  • madfin
    edited January 2011
  • madfin
    edited January 2011
    CIMG1699.jpg

CIMG1700.jpg

I've added 3/4 inch plixie glass to my windows so that my nieghbors can't noise.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,523
    edited January 2011
    DDrum is one of our best sellers in all price points :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    madfin wrote: »
    CIMG1698.jpg

nice kit!

I am looking at this one from guitar center because I can get it for 600 after the mail in rebates and store discounts, but still have some thinking to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsErTub8zI
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    OK I have decided on the Roland TD-4k2, I am going to get it for 8 plus tax and get a 200 mail in rebate. I am going to get a SP double bass pedal from Musicians Friend and a better ride cymbal along with a decent throne. I went up there the other day and had time to mess with it and had allot of fun with it. If I stick with it and future living conditions will accommodate I will probably get another acoustic set but for the time being this is the most practical. Thanks for all your replies and input, I will post pics when I get it all and set up.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.
  • LessisNevermore
    edited January 2011
    madfin wrote: »
    CIMG1698.jpg

Very nice kit! How do you like the Butkicker?
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    OK I have decided on the Roland TD-4k2, I am going to get it for 8 plus tax and get a 200 mail in rebate. I am going to get a SP double bass pedal from Musicians Friend and a better ride cymbal along with a decent throne. I went up there the other day and had time to mess with it and had allot of fun with it. If I stick with it and future living conditions will accommodate I will probably get another acoustic set but for the time being this is the most practical. Thanks for all your replies and input, I will post pics when I get it all and set up.

Nice choice, and great deal on it!
  • zarrdoss
    edited January 2011
    thanks, it actually the td-4s a step above what I listed.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited January 2011
    First Act 5-Pad Digital Drum Set-today on Woot
    $14.99

http://www.woot.com/
  • zarrdoss
    edited February 2011
    Well I got it and all set up, so far I really like it, not as fatiguing on the ears as acoustic and knowing that my neighbors cant hear me is a plus. It seems to be really well made and easy to adjust, after I adjusted everything the way I wanted it it sounds pretty damn good and feels real close to acoustic. The double bass pedal I got is a cheapy but really surprised me and I have had a Tama Iron cobra double bass. I also got an additional better quality ride cymbal and boom arm for it. Now if I can just remember/learn how to play, lol.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.