Sr6500 comps

BOWLMAN
BOWLMAN Posts: 47
edited January 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
I purchased a set of SR6500s to replace my MMC6500 comps. I have a PA500.4 AMP and for now run them passive thru the crossovers,bi-amped.Would there be a problem running off my factory head unit?Would this affect the sound.[FORD F150extended cab.}I am planning on buying a new HU at some point. I am looking for simple set-up.
Post edited by BOWLMAN on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2011
    You can take the crossovers out of the path as long as your hu lets you set an active network. Lpf for your sub + hpf and lpf for your mids and then hpf for your tweets. Your factory hu won't let you do all that. So you'll have to stay passive.

Although, you can run the 6500 mid full range and run the tweets via your xover. Thats an option you can try. BTW congrats on snagging what is now a collectors item.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited January 2011
    Please let me know the differance in sound. I also have MMC6500 bi-amped with PA500.4, curious to hear the difference SR6500 bi-amped would make.

And yes, you'll have to stay with passive x-overs since your stock unit doesn't allow for active set-up, not even most of aftermarket h/us do so make sure to do your research before buying a new headunit to make sure it can do active.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2011
    Vital dow does your MMC6500s sound with your PA500.4?
    Mine are currently hooked to a phoenix gold 2 channel amp. and sound pretty darn good.With out a sub. I plan on hooking up my PA500.4 to them to see how they sound compared to my SR6500s when I get them hooked up.

The shop I am getting my SR6500s may have 2 more setts of used SR6500s available,hopefully cheap.The good thing is he used to be autherised dealer.
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2011
    Thank you arun1963 I will try your suggestion and see how I like it.
  • arun1963
    edited January 2011
    I have run the momo's bi-amped passively, then active and then the sr's active, all off the 500.4.

It's unfair to compare the sr's with the momos in any which way. While the momo's are excellent mid priced speakers, the sr's hold their own and then some, with speakers 2.5 times their list price. I know this for a fact.

Bi-amping the momos will give more power to each driver and the sound will be more dynamic. It will also let you tame the tweets a bit, via the gains on the amp.

With the srs, remember to keep the tweets more on axis. Stock sail panels may not be the best place for them.

I would run a sub with the momos for sure. While the srs dig down to 50hz without an issue, depending on the music you listen to, a small sub in a sealed box running bridged off your 2 ch amp along with the bi-amped srs, may just open up a new world of sound for you.
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2011
    arun1963
    I know there is no comparison between the MMC6500s and the SR6500s, just trying to hear how much difference between each stage leading up to the SRs.
    As much as I hate subs,I will eventually install one.I do have a MM1024 DVC SUB. Just have not hooked it up.
    Thanks for the input, I will be asking more questions.
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you hate subs, then you have never heard one set up correctly.

+ 1

As for how my MMCs sound amped by PA500.4 - now they are freaking incredible. When i first got them i run them off just front amp channels. Hated it. IMO MMCs tweets are way to bright so i couldn't even turn the volume up to really hear that midbass punch/kick mmcs are known for without highs piercing my ears. Once bi-amped i was able to turn highs down enough to have a perfect balance of tweets and woofer and these speakers became my favorite i've ever owned (or heard for that matter)

btw - maybe a bit off topic but - wonder if new MM6501's would give me that same balance... They aren't bi-amp'able and all reviews mention how bassy/punchy they are. I'd replace my MMC with MMs if sound was the same to have rear amp channels available.....
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2011
    reported
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    reported

huh?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2011
    george daniel
    What does reported mean?
    All I am trying to do is ask questions in order to set up my truck stereo better..
    I am not a spammer or scammer..
  • arun1963
    edited January 2011
    Vital wrote: »
    huh?
    BOWLMAN wrote: »
    george daniel
    What does reported mean?
    All I am trying to do is ask questions in order to set up my truck stereo better..
    I am not a spammer or scammer..

There was a spam post which was removed.
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2011
    george daniel,
    I am sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion with regards to your post.Please forgive me..
    arun1963, Thank you for correcting me.
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2011
    DSkip,
    You are correct in the fact that I have not heard a proper sub setup in car audio. I would like to find someone in my area that has a quality setup so I could listen to it.
    I have been more into 2-channel audio,and have spent alot of money on home stereo and home theater.
    One thing I can say is my mind changes with age.
  • arun1963
    edited January 2011
    You can get very close to a home 2ch setup sound in a car. If that is what you want, then you're on the right forum. Let us know what your goal is.
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    DSkip wrote: »
    A solid 2 ch reproduction can be done in a car environment. It just takes a lot more effort than doing so in a room. A sub is vital in a car. However, I also feel it is vital in the majority of most systems, even ones with large towers.

I just felt that it was very vital to quote this :biggrin:
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, ya gotta have a sub. Most people associate subs with the 18 year old living next door with a pair of 18's blasting thru the neighborhood. That's an abuse of subs. Subs are necessary for the best SQ as you cant get much lower than 40 Hz out of a mid and to get that it has to be good quality in a very beefy install with a lot of power.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2011
    Thank you for all the advise.
    One thing I did not factor in was all the work and cost of quality sound.I have had alot of fun with it. As soon as I learn something about tuning and setup,I will be able too get into trouble.Maybe some day I will install some temperary subs in the bed of my truck just to shake up the neighbors.
    I will be posting back for more help ..
  • sickicw
    sickicw Posts: 456
    edited January 2011
    I noticed you were adding sr6500s to the ford f150. Any special install you have to do to get them to fit? the factory speakers are 6x8.

Im about to buy a 2010 f150 super cab. I have one pair of sr5250 and am thinking of getting another pair from crutchfield, or just buy some used 6500. I am happy will my home theater lsi setup crossed over at 60hz. i was told that the 5250 would be find for this, but the specs have a +-3db limit at 60hz. The rez freq is around 72hz and then im assuming it drops off 3db at 60hz. im just a little concerned that if i buy another 5250 and cross it over at 60hz that i will lose some of the bass in the 70-60hz range. any comments?
    Speakers: LSi9 x 2, LSic, LSiFX x 2, Velodyne HGS-15
    Amps & Power: Rockford Fosgate T8004 x 3, Cascade Audio APS-55 power supplies x 5, and 1 farad capacitor.
    Electronics: Denon 3806, Toshiba HD-A1, & Sony KDL46XBR2
    Accessories: Anti-IC interconnects, 8 Mondo Traps from Realtraps, and Salamander furniture.
  • BOWLMAN
    edited January 2011
    sickicw,
    I started with the MMC 5250s and they were fine.I went to the MMC6500s to get more mid bass. I am installing SR6500s insted of SR5250s because I got them for a great price.The only thing on my 04 F150 install was to make an adapter out of plywood to fit the SR6500s in the mounting hole and to space the speaker out.I mounted them in the doors,like the factory speakers.I use only front speakers with the rear turned off.
    The SR5250s are a great fit,you will like them as well as the SR6500s. Just add a sub..
  • arun1963
    edited January 2011
    Are the doors sealed?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2011
    The 5250's will handle 63 Hz with no problem especially if your doors are plenty dead with dynamat. They'll handle 50 Hz with very good output but theyll bottom out a lot easier cause 50 is where a lot of the punch is. So if you listen to punchy music like jazz at high levels, you might wanna try 63 for a cutoff and experiment with slopes.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D