Tweeter Mounting Options

pentoncm
pentoncm Posts: 379
edited January 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Currently I have db6501s and the tweeter is in the stock location next to the woofer low in the door. My driver side tweeter is almost 90 degrees off axis and the passenger one is probably around 30 degrees off axis. I really want to mount the tweeters up high so that I can actually hear some highs coming from the left side. Having my tweeters at such different angles makes my near side dull sounding and the far side overly bright and there is virtually no way of balancing it.

I plan on upgrading my headunit next fall to the alpine CDA-117 for TA and parametric eq, and also I want to add imprint for three way active.

I would like to go ahead anyway and move the tweeters so that they are more on axis. Where is a good spot? I've read a lot about the A pillars and aiming the tweeters towards the opposing sides headrest or aiming towards the middle of the opposing door window.

Thanks for suggestions.
Audison Bit Ten
Kenwood X595
Polk MM6501
Polk MM1240
Mtx 704x
Alpine MRX50
Post edited by pentoncm on

Comments

• pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited January 2011
    Just to add, I measured the path lengths for each driver to my ear. The difference between the woofers in the doors and the spot on the A pillar that is ear level is about 2-3 inches on both the driver and passenger side. Is this close enough so that there will not be significant phase issues?
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2011
    Thatll be fine. You can always flip the wires of the tweeters so theyll be out of phase with the mids.

The A pillar is the best place. An inch or two above the highest point on the dash is where they usually work best. And yes, aim them towards the opposite head rest. You dont want that near tweet to be too on axis cause itll beam like a lazer.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D