Are GXR subs sensitive to airspace?

Options
bluranger
bluranger Posts: 1
edited July 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I got 2 10" polk GXR's installed in my single cab ranger in a 2 seperate boxes w/ about .45-.5^3ft of airspace a piece(.65 recc.) and i'm just wondering if these subs are really sensative to airspace like some others are?

They sound decent to me but if i were able to give them .65^3ft a piece would there be a bigger difference in bass i know there will be a little but is it worth it?
Post edited by bluranger on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    Options
    make a compromise.... stuff the living **** out of the box.

its readily agreed that by using heavy polyfill stuffing in a box you can "fake gain" up to 20% air space... thus the woofer will act just like it was in 20% bigger a box.

so 5 * 120% = 6 ... close enough to give u an idea if its worth building a new box.

do 1/2 pound polyfill or maybe a little less in each box. (pound will cost u like 8 bucks tops).

easy fix. and if u dont like u -- u pull it out and u lost 8 bucks... whereas if u build / buy new boxes.. u're stuck w/ em.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Why pay 8 bucks when you can goto a fabric or arts and crafts store and get the same stuff for 2-3 bucks? Infact, last time I got polyfil from Crutchfeild, the arts and crafts store down the street from me had the exact same thing for 5.50. They had a cheaper one for 3.79
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    Options
    yeah, jstas is right, dont go to any car audio site and buy that stuff...they find a new use for it and jack up the price whereas hobby lobby, walmart, etc has the same stuff for usually half the price
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    well what if i just LIKE haveing it say "Speaker Enclosure Fill" on the box.... huh... huh... HUH..?!?!!?!!?!!?

ya..... 'yo mamma'

actually to be totally honest, the last time i "bought" polyfill i didn't even "buy" it... i ordered like 300 bucks worth of dynamat and probably another 500 in wiring and terminals and batt terminals and fuse holders and **** and i needed 40 feet of 0 gauge but they only had 32 feet in stock, so they offered to give me the 4 pounds of polyfill for free if i'd take 32 feet of the silver 0 gauge and a "credit" for 8 more feet of it when they got it in stock.

damngood customer service ill tell ya! not like **** Domain.com -- low prices and they sell refurbed Phoenix Gold Titanium 500.1's for 200 bucks!!!! but they're total **** monkeys.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    Options
    where did you order all that stuff at?
    sounddomain are a bunch of ****...sending me one amp without a birth sheet and one amp that didnt work...then when i try and return the amp that worked they said it wasnt in original condition...****
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    cody u've been in th eheat too long man... i thought u ordered your two amps from THE ZEB.com ???

sounddomain is **** for completely other reasons... lol.

i ordered all that at Crotch-Felt... thought i had said so *looks up* ... woops, guess i didn't... their prices are high but they really are nice people.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Options
    dude, just get yer blasted money back from those cow-rustlers...

they ahve 30 day satisfaction guarantee... yell for it... if not .. call RF and have them yell at them...

and when u get u're loot back... look at this...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3037653067&category=18797

295 bucks + shipping... its a factory refurb but the guy has nearly 1200 feedbacks and 100% positive... 81000D go BOOM BOOOM BOOOOM BOOOOOOOOOOM and give cody BASS BASSS BASSSSSSS BASSSSSSSSS. (dont worry you'd still need al the wiring that you bought except one of the distribution blocks... everything else u'd need cuz 81000D no go boom boom without no juicey juice).

and if u blow it up, mitek is nice about repairing ****... they dont ask you to morgage your house.

"allright... this is my BOOM STICK!" - Bruce Campbell, the Army of Darkness.

i'm just disappointed the new 1501D shows a marked degrading of quality among mtx amps...

1000D = damping factor of 500 and less than 1% thd
    8100D = damping factor of 200 and less than 2% thd
    1501D = damping factor of 100 and "about" 2% thd.

oh here.. look at this shizzle...
    http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/headtohead/punch.cfm

• sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    Options
    oops...i did order it from the zeb...my bad...i ordered my cap from sd and didnt have any problems...my mistake
    -Cody