Guess what I got today?

CPHILHOWER
CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I finally got my new Futura Adventurer HT's installed on my ARE rims. The size is 265/70/16. The wheel wells sure look small now. Rides more like a "Truck". Just need to get my Speedo recalibrated.
Chris
Post edited by CPHILHOWER on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    265??? eek

somebody is creepin up on wantin swampers...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    i have 265/75/r16 firestone wilderness a/t's
    i want bigger...but i cant fit anything bigger on the front...itll scrape...if i hit a bump hard enough they scrape now...
    i could fit some 285s on the back i think
    but i dont want my truck high in the back and low in front
    maybe someday ill get spacers....
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    Stock size was P235/70/16 on 16X7 rims. These tires are about 1.5" bigger than stock. The ride is more like a F350 than an Escape. In fact these are the standard tires on the Expedition.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    expedition = cargo van with pretty paint... blah :P
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    my tires were stock tires off a 2002 z71
    theyre wearing down...i dont want to shell out the money for new ones...
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    My stock tires were 29.2" according to TR. The new tires are 30.4" according to website.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    i want a Big Wheel with hard plastic molded 'stock' tires :)
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    265/70R16's are 30.6"x10.4"
    i hate metric
    percentages and crap...ugh
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    Here is a photo. I hope it works. My camera seems to be having an OFF day. 3 pairs of batteries and still doesnt work for more than 1 photo.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    chris's gi-normous tires = result of **** envy -- dr. ruth says so...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    Pshaw! Those are NOT huge tires! I have 295/45/18's and they are about 29 inches tall but 11.5 inches wide. They still are not HUGE tires!

Now my friend has a Jeep CJ with 33x15x15 Dick Cepek tires on it. Now THOSE are huge tires!

Anyway, I always liked the Adventurer HT's. Plain tire, no frills with an aggressive enough tread for a good deal of 'froadin' but relativly quiet and stable on the highway. They have a 65K treadwear warranty too, don't they? For like 60-70 bucks a piece, defintly a good buy!

Those wheels look good too! Much better than the stock 4 spoke wheels. Those look like ****.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    295/45R18=28.4"x11.6"
    33"x15"?
    those tires must be hard to find...ive never seen any
    the widest ive seen 33s are 13.5
    ill be happy with a z71 with a 4" suspension lift or so and 35x15s
    lol
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited July 2003
    Goodyear says 28.8 icnhes tall by 11.5 inches wide. Each manufacturer is different and teh sizes allow something like a 5% difference in the range of sizes.

As far as the 33x15's, the tires have a 15 inch section width. They are mounted on 12.5 inch wide wheels but the catalog lists them as thier section width and mounted width because clearances are affected by balloned side-walls. They list the tires as 33x15x15. So they are 33 inches tall by 15 inches wide (section width) and mounted on a 15 inch wheel. He has to order them from a catalog he gets for off-roading gear. But as far as 'froadin' tires go, it doesn't get much better than Dick Cepek. They are expensive but you get a hell of a tire for your money.

By the way, section width is different than mounted width. Section width is the distance between the edges of the side walls when mounted. The mounted width (usually listed as width) is the distance between the beads when mounted. That is usually a range. The 33's I spoke of have a range from 10 inches wide to like 13 or 14 inches wide. They can goto 15 inches wide but require bead-locks. The mounted width usually corresponds to the tread width which isn't always as wide as the tire. But for off-road tires, you want a large footprint to distribute weight and power as evenly as possible. I've seen guys mount 15 inch wide tires of 12.5-13 inch wheels to get the extra sidewall protection to keep from chewing up beadlocks and add some boyancy for mud-bogging.

• sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    i want mickey thompsons!
    BF Goodrich A/T's will do though...
    i have a friend that has a 97 or so jeep and hes putting a 3.5" susp lift and 33s(Dont know the width)and swaybar disconnects...he should have it lifted by the end of next month...thatll be a fun jeep
    my dad had an old 74 CJ with 31 10.50 with some really aggressive tread...dont remember the brand
    lock the hubs and that jeep would get through just about anything
    went through an irrigation ditch with mud/water coming up to the bumper...didnt spin a tire...i wish we still had it...
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    I know a couple of guys on the Escapecentral website that have even bigger than me. P265/75/16. I cant use them, I have the factory splash guards. And have about 1/2" clearance.
    Chris
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited July 2003
    The stock rims were 16x7 and 5 spoke aluminum. The Ht's have a 60k tread warranty. Only cost me $310 with tax for all 4. Being that I have an Employee discount and the tires were on sale for $70 each.
    Chris
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited July 2003
    Just bought a new F-150 this weekend. It came stock with some 17" 5-spoke aluminum rims and some P265/70R17 tires. They're nice..

Yes it was raining when I got home...damn that new car shine was already ruined :)
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • Jstas
    edited July 2003
    Those Goodyears are total ****. My dad's 2000 F-150 had the same tires. They barely lasted 25,000 miles and they have a 35K treadwear warranty. He replaced them with Bridgestone Duelers that now have ~6500 miles on them and still look new.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    the wrangler rRTS are too "grippy"-- they were putting them on durango's stock and people were like "WTF is this ****!?!!?!"

everyone i've ever seen with those tires btiches about treadlife / ride quality / and road noise.

goodyear's best tire ( overall in general based on quality of ride, treadware, reliability in all seasons, and reasonable price) was the old workhorse tire... then they had to make it a workhorse sport or whatever the hell it was and all of a sudden it changed completely -- cant even get anything like the old WH from them anymore.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited July 2003
    Tony.....DUMP THOSE TIRES! I had them on my Rodeo....OMFG the worst ride I have ever experienced.

Head on over to http://forums.vmag.com/ and you will see a bunch of message boards for different vehicles. The F-150 is listed there. Any ways head there and post a message about what tires would best suit your truck. May take a full day but someone will respond. A lot of Truck and SUV enthusiasts frequent there. I had a lot of tough questions answered about my Rodeo. If they do not know the answer they will direct you in the right direction.

I went with Yokohama's for my ride. It was like night and day. I cannot find a lot of Yokohama fans, but the reviews on them were very good. But a lot of people do recommend what others here did. The Goodyears, or the BF Goodrich.

OK one more thing.......if you really want to get in depth with the tires, see the reviews, specs, and such.....plus actual consumer reviews....head over to http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp this site kicks **** for tire shopping!!! When you find the tire you like or are interested in click on the photo of the tire. It will give you the specs, and underneath the specs there are reviews of the tire from actual consumers. Then you will get a general idea of what the tire is like.

Hope this helps...Avsfan
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    ... you went from a Rodeo to an Avalanche?

hell, THAT'S "night and day" in itself.

the only way that coulda got more drastic would be if you went from a Fiat (tiny little italian car smaller than a honda civic) to a Sierra 3500 diesel.
  • avelanchefan
    edited July 2003
    No I drive a Rodeo.....I am a fan of the Colorado Avalanche:D
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    ive never seen an older avalanche i liked but once
    i think plastic trucks are worthless
    and while ill probably never own a truck that isnt GM, i can honestly say that with all that plastic, they looked like total crap
    i also think the fender wells are too tall and not wide enough
    so any size tire is going to look small b/c you cant fit a big tire b/c the fender is not wide enough yet it still has this huge amount of space on top
    the only one i liked was lifted with 38s...but who wouldnt like that?
    the new ones look very nice, gm finally figured out that by taking off the plastic off the bottom, they look much better...they look like a truck
    and i like the way they look
    and as far as tires go...i want loud tires!
    i want ppl to hear my tires in their car going down the highway
    lol
    same with exhaust
    i need some flow masters
    not the ones that "putt", but the ones that "purr", i want it to sound good, not just to be annoying...lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by avelanchefan
    No I drive a Rodeo.....I am a fan of the Colorado Avalanche:D

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .... man i'm dumb.... i kept wonderin "where in an avalanche is he gonna fit a 12" sub ??"

its all starting to make sense.... the neurons collided with the morons inside my head and suddenly my brain rebooted.
  • avelanchefan
    edited July 2003
    lol

good one pbd
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa