Polk Monitor 7 price?

Options
chandler9a
chandler9a Posts: 877
edited July 2014 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys. I tried searching but couldn't find much on the price for a used pair of Monitor 7's in mint condition.

Anyone have an idea what you would pay? I ran into a pair at my local stereo shop where I bought my SDA 2A's for $200 (they were higher but I know the guys and they needed them out of the way).

The price tag on the Monitor 7's now is too high but I wanted to make them an offer if they continued to sit there with no interest from other buyers. I would eventually throw some RDO's in them so I have to keep that in mind. They currently have SL-2000's. I have some Peerless tweets lying around but I believe this model is a later one so I don't think I can put those in?

Anyways, just something I was thinking about and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Post edited by chandler9a on

Comments

• DON73
    DON73 Posts: 516
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Depends on condition and how badly you want them. I've seen very few on
    e-bay and they go for around $200 there if they're in near mint condition. They're great speakers. You might try $150. If they're in excellent to mint I think I'd go $200 out the door for the speakers and some speaker wire.
    Don't make any offer till you've heard them.
    Some here find little gems at their Goodwill Store:smile: Someone may tell you they're not worth over $50.:biggrin: Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
    TO ERR IS HUMAN. TO FORGIVE IS CANINE.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,041
    edited January 2011
    Options
    If they are mint, and you don't need to ship them (that way they will stay mint), I would give $150 all day.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Try $90 and go up a little from there if needed.:smile:
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited January 2011
    Options
    They regularly go for around $100-150 depending on condition. $200 is a bit on the high side IMO, but if the condition is excellent and you don't have to have them shipped, I'd say it's worth it...but I'd try to talk them down.

They can be found for cheaper with some patience. I got my Peerless Monitor 7A's for $20 at a local auction house.:cool: That was an extraordinarily good deal though, admittedly.:smile:
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • chandler9a
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Thanks guys, thats kind of what I was thinking. The problem (as usual) is that I don't exactly need them, at all. But they are hard to come by locally so I just wanted to feel it out.

I don't think they will sell easily around here for the price they are asking because most people are looking for smaller stuff but I will wait a while and maybe offer something later on.

Thanks again
  • DON73
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Let us know how this turns out. Whenever I find something I really want I'll deal till I get it. NEED has little to do with collecting. I don't need the 13 large frame blue S&W revolvers I have and I surely don't NEED all the speakers I have and I'm still looking:biggrin::biggrin:
  • chandler9a
    edited January 2011
    Options
    DON73 wrote: »
    Let us know how this turns out. Whenever I find something I really want I'll deal till I get it. NEED has little to do with collecting. I don't need the 13 large frame blue S&W revolvers I have and I surely don't NEED all the speakers I have and I'm still looking:biggrin::biggrin:

You are correct there. One thought I had was to trade my Klipsch RB-35's for them. I like the Klipsch for the purpose they serve but I know I'd probably like the sound of those Monitor 7's even more.

To add to it, I still need to put aside some money to replace the xovers on some SDA 2.3's I have in the basement!
  • greybeard
    greybeard Posts: 60
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Late to reply, but I have purchased two pairs of M7s, both with Peerless. One set was $95 in decent shape, the other was $125 in better shape and included stands. This is in the Washington DC area in the past 2 years. Don't know if prices vary with location.
  • chandler9a
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the info Greybeard, those are the kind of prices I was thinking of when seriously considering this model. Hopefully I can grab them if they do decide to part with them at a lower price.
  • DON73
    edited January 2011
    Options
    greybeard wrote: »
    Late to reply, but I have purchased two pairs of M7s, both with Peerless. One set was $95 in decent shape, the other was $125 in better shape and included stands. This is in the Washington DC area in the past 2 years. Don't know if prices vary with location.

Lord what have I done that makes these bargains escape me?
  • Pastor Bill
    Pastor Bill Posts: 130
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Don73:

Your statement about 13 N frames makes me drool. Talk with me.
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Pastor Bill - keep in mind that you're replying to a thread that's over 3-1/2 years old here. Don73 may not be on the lookout for anyone addressing him here. However, once you hit 10 posts, you can send him a PM if you want to.
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks, TK. This ought to allow me the PM function.
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

• Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks, TK. This ought to allow me the PM function.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Little helpful hint. If you go to their (hit their name) profile you can see when they last visited/posted on CP
    Randy/Maine
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the hint, Boston...but the prospect of talking N frame handguns with a fellow enthusiast affected my memory.