In the works to buy the SVS 20-39PCi

kberg
kberg Posts: 974
Well, after a LOT of "discussion" with the Mrs., and the fact that I just received a reimbursement check for about $100 from my former employer, yesterday my wife said to me, "Shall I cash this reimbursement check so you can put it towards your speaker?". That was not said with great enthusiasm, but at LEAST it was said!

Along with other cash saved up I'm now $368 short of getting the 20-39 PCi. So, this deal appears to be in the making. I just hope the price of the sub doesn't go up before I have the cash saved up!
Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
Display: JVC HD-56G786
DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
Post edited by kberg on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited July 2003
    Kberg - 1 step closer baby!!! Get a paper route or mow lawns, get that money! :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2003
    Paper routes and mowing lawns? No, no, no. You've got to be more modern and sell blood plasma!
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited July 2003
    kberg:

If I determine that a PC+ would be a huge improvement over my PCi, I may just have a twelve month old 20-39 for sale.

If you're interested in saving some cash, and don't mind having a used unit, let me know. I should have my mind made up in the next week or so.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    I posted over in the other thread too. Malik will have one for sale too in a few weeks.

The 20-39PC+ has about a 5-6 dB performance advantage below 30 Hz over the 20-39PCi. It also has somewhat less distortion, but both are remarkably low anyway.

You also get:

- the triple flared ports and port plugs for variable tuning (20, 16, 12), although the stock tune works the best

- 0-180 continuously variable phase control

- 4 position (25, 20, 16, 12) SS filter

- 525 watt BASH amp

The PC+ advantage will probably be most noticeable in a larger room. If you have never bottomed out the PCi and you play it as loud as you want, then I don't see the need.

From a FR and extension standpoint, they will measure almost identically in stock tune. The PC+ can be tuned deeper but it's not muh of a benefit since in stock tune its flat to about 18 Hz in room. I always ran mine in stock tune unless I was **** around running sweeps or experimenting, etc.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kberg
    edited July 2003
    Gang,

Thanks for any potential offers for a used 20-39 PCi. What I plan to do first is get a better idea of how long it might take me to save for the balance of what I need to buy from SVS, and if that seems too long, I'll consider a used unit, if one is still available for sale at that time - if not, my tough luck and I'll keep saving for a new one.

KB
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited July 2003
    mjk, shoot me an email or a PM if you decide to let go of that PCi
  • mjk91383
    edited July 2003
    Good to hear, Ceruleance.

I should know by the middle of next week whether or not I'll make the upgrade. If she does go, you'll be the first one to know.
  • mjk91383
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    The PC+ advantage will probably be most noticeable in a larger room. If you have never bottomed out the PCi and you play it as loud as you want, then I don't see the need.

From a FR and extension standpoint, they will measure almost identically in stock tune. The PC+ can be tuned deeper but it's not muh of a benefit since in stock tune its flat to about 18 Hz in room. I always ran mine in stock tune unless I was **** around running sweeps or experimenting, etc.

Thanks for the advice, Doc.

The only reason I started to consider upgrading to a PC+ was the fact that I just moved back in with my grandparents (unemployment sucks), and the theater room is nearly 11' x 32' x 7', or four times the size of my old place. The flooring has also changed from wood to concrete slab. Needless to say, I just can't seem to feel the bass like I used to.

I was thinking of going for a PB-2+, but with my grandparents bedroom right above the theater, I would never be able to really push that sub like I'd want to. They hate the PCi as it is, but I've got to have some bass. I've never bottomed the PCi, but then again, I rarely have the chance to play it at reference level. If I'm lucky, I might just hit 15-20 dB below that point.

Part of me wants to me the plunge, but I'm not really sure if it'll be worth the extra cash. If I can't play the PCi like I want to, I'm sure as hell not going to be able to drive a PC+ at my desired level.

Decisions, decisions... I'll keep you updated.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by mjk91383
    The flooring has also changed from wood to concrete slab.

Oh lucky you. Concrete flooring is the BOMB for sound quality. The concrete floor is acoustically inert and cannot transmit vibrations. Bass will never sound so good and once you go concrete, nothing else really satisfies in the bass department. IMO, the only thing you want to "feel" is air pressure.

Yes, that's a huge room and it will suck the life out of any single 12" sub. Even an Ultra would have a hard time shaking that room. I'd see how hard you can push the PCi in that new room before your GPs **** or it bottoms, whichever comes first. If it bottoms before they ****, then get the PC+.

Also, please post your impression on the SQ with a concrete floor.

Doc

SVS
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    u can sell ur blood? is it worth alot? i could use some money, how much blood do i gotta make and sell before i have an SVS? :p
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited July 2003
    You can sell all manner of body resources, and for varying amounts of reimbursement; I sold my dingus to get my 800i's.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Hey gang,

Just received some more cash today that I can apply to the SVS 20-39 PCi. I only need $114 more to place an order. Maybe the wife will agree to an "advance" for this amount, since initially she was hit with a $600 estimate before I started saving. Will keep ya posted.

I'm wondering whether I should wait for the lower-priced box subs to be released by SVS, but something tells me that their performance wouldn't match up to the 20-39 PCi, being about half the cost.

Doc?

KB
  • donahue
    donahue Posts: 125
    edited August 2003
    kberg,

I just purchased the PB1-ISD from SVS and it is very nice. Although it's a bit large, I could not bring myself to buy the cylinder sub. My wife is not impressed with how large the box sub is, so I'm sure she would not like the cylinder at all.

Ray
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Actually, the cylinder sub would work out best for me because I have my entertainment system in a corner of the room, with my Infinity box sub currently behind it. The 16" diameter cylinder sub would take up less space than the 20" deep, 18" wide box sub, and it would not force me to pull my system out from the corner any more than it is right now. The height of 39" is irrelevant since it would be behind the system in the corner just like my current sub is.

Btw, congrats on your SVS purchase! Looking forward to mine.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited August 2003
    The cylinder design is the "no-compromise" subwoofer in the SVS line-up. The ultimate expression of form follows function. If aesthetics allow, get the cylinder.

SVS
  • kberg
    edited August 2003
    Yeah, and the cylinder being where it will go will also not compromise my marital relationship by taking up even MORE family room space than my whole system already has! :)