sub enclosure (sealed or bandpass?)

i have the 88 supra and i recently had 200 watts hooked up to my gnx124 it hit great in my dual bandpass comp box even with a crappy amp well now i have a 800 watt pyramid amp hooked up to it. now i know that the bandpass box is the best for a hatchback but i figure that with that many watts going to the sub that perhaps a sealed box would be better for lower notes. second is it a good idea to put 800 watts to my gnx124? it hits but i cant really tell how well cuz my plexiglass is cracked on the sealed side. any advice would be great thanx.
Post edited by polkaudiosupra101 on

Comments

• slack56
    slack56 Posts: 68
    edited November 2001
    Forget the bandpass, all they are good for is ghetto bass and one note wonder subs. If you are hurting for space use a sealed box since they can be smaller. A sealed box will also help prevent damage from all that power. Also, you will probably hear less cone noise at high volumes with a sealed box since you are only a couple of feet away from the sub. If you are looking for max bass that sounds good, buy a ported box that is the ideal size and is properly tuned for your speaker. With either box point that sub to the rear and enjoy your trip to hearing loss city.

Polk Dog
  • djsSHO
    djsSHO Posts: 36
    edited November 2001
    First, polk subs are not designed for ported enclosures.....

Second, bandpass boxes can sound good if built correctly. I have built a sealed enclosure and a bandpass box for my MOMO 12, and the bandpass is by far louder at all frequencies for most listening,...ie hard rock, rap, r&b, bass discs, so i dunno what you are even talking about....

Build a sealed enclosure if you've never made boxes before, as they are easier to build and cost less. If you wanna experiment more than build the bandpass box, as they will be louder.....

My $.02, take it for what it's worth...

You won't be disappointed with a custom bandpass box...

Even my roommate with a soundstream 12 converted from ported to sealed after he heard the difference it made it sound quality and punchiness of the bass.....
    Derek S.
    1994 MTX SHO
    Polk MOMO 12"
  • polkaudiosupra101
    polkaudiosupra101 Posts: 48
    edited November 2001
    i was saying would a sealed box be better because i have 800 watts going to the gnx124 and the peak power is only 400 i was askin if a sealed box would be better because it would help the sub handle the power and i need to know if the gnx124 can handle 800 watts safely and i already have it in a competition dual bandpass box but the front plexiglasas is cracked so i cant tell if the sub sounds good with the 800 watts goin to it so i have it hooked up to 400 stereo (not bridged, although there is no other sub hooked up) so if any1 has any other advice as far as power goes then by all means please tell me. by the way i have a 800 watt pyramid amp if that helps, also it seems like the sub hit harder (punchier) when i had it hooked up to the 200 watt pioneer does anyone know why? thanx. peace
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2001
    Alright im sorry to say this, but ur pyramid amp, is NOT pushing 800 watts, look at the facts, pyramid makes amps that say 2000 watts. considering then they only push 800 watts, now an amp that says it pushes 800 is probably pushing 250-300 watts. <
    just my .02&1/2 cents.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • polkaudiosupra101
    edited November 2001
    uh yeah rms. you sure you should be replying to things you probably dont have any experience on? thanx anyways
  • Systems
    edited November 2001
    I have way more experience on car audio than u could achieve in ur life. What are u some 16 year old kid?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Keep it civil kids.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • polkaudiosupra101
    edited November 2001
    if you know "so much" then please explain why its much louder when its hooked up my sub to only 400 watts on my pyramid (and according to you the amps only pushing out about what 150 watts?) then when i had it hooked up to the pioneer 200 watt amp? and its extremely loud when its hooked up to the 800 watt mono ; almost four times louder than the 200 watt amp it almost makes sense?........huh. please explain away (unless every amp just lies about its rms and peak power)
  • Systems
    edited November 2001
    Alright sorry to get off on the wrong foot with ya, all i was stating earlier, was that Pyramid (and many others) is natorious for stating unobtainable power ratings, so Yes to answer the question SOME companys state false power ratings, or power ratings with the most OPTIMAL settings required to reach them. Me and a co-worker wanted to see just how much the difference was. We hooked my old system (4 10' mtx 6000) with my mtx 81000D. Then we hooked up his Legacy 1400 amp, the difference was very great, i mean, one would barely rattle the trunk, the other made it sound like it was coming apart. Now the mtx only pushes 1000peak, but yet the legacy was 1400 watts peak. Ok now to answer ur question, the reason it sounds BETTER when hooked up to a pioneer is because its a better quality amp. A Pyramid runs 15kH-30kH frequency response, while a Pioneer 10Hz-15kHz frequency response, meaning that the Pyramid wont get all of the low notes that u want, it will pick up higher frequency notes like voices or more instrumental notes.The signal to noise ratio is another reason why it could be. The pioneer has a signal-to-noise ration of 103dB and the Pyramid 90dB. Now the reason it sounds LOUDER is because yes it still is more watts running to the sub than the 200 watt peak (160 rms I believe) than the 800 watt peak Pyramid which I KNOW doesnt run more than 350 watts rms.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • polkaudiosupra101
    edited November 2001
    how do you KNOW the pyramid doesnt run more that 350 rms? and i am not experiencing the frequency problems with the amp. now that i have my 2-4"s, 2-6 1/2"s(coaxials), and my 2-5x7"s(coaxials) (even when i had only 2 4"s i didnt experience any high bass notes i could pull out with the built in crossover), i am very very very very happy with that 800 watt amp it hits HARD!!! it was sounding funky b4 cuz it wasnt balanced. so please i would honestly like to know why you dont believe my pyramid doesnt push more than 350 watts. thanx
  • polkaudiosupra101
    edited November 2001
    you no make sense................ you say polk audio subs arent meant for ported enclosures, then you say that i wont be dissapointed witht a custom bandpass box and then you go on to say that even your roomate switched from a ported to a sealed box after he heard yours. so which should i use??? please explain cuz im stil tryin to decide what to use. although i laid my box down with the plexiglass up and the holes towards the back of the car and it seemed to hit harder, or louder......whatever. thanx
  • Systems
    edited November 2001
    Originally posted by polkaudiosupra101
    i was saying would a sealed box be better because i have 800 watts going to the gnx124 and the peak power is only 400 i was askin if a sealed box would be better because it would help the sub handle the power and i need to know if the gnx124 can handle 800 watts safely and i already have it in a competition dual bandpass box but the front plexiglasas is cracked so i cant tell if the sub sounds good with the 800 watts goin to it so i have it hooked up to 400 stereo (not bridged, although there is no other sub hooked up) so if any1 has any other advice as far as power goes then by all means please tell me. by the way i have a 800 watt pyramid amp if that helps, also it seems like the sub hit harder (punchier) when i had it hooked up to the 200 watt pioneer does anyone know why? thanx. peace

OK KID. U said "if you know "so much" then explain...". I explained to to u why, and you arent happy with the answer I gave u so u reply "blah blah blah" (I mean that right there shows so much sign of inteligence) and in the above u ask "so if any1 has any other advice as far as power goes then by all means please tell me", i give u advice as far as power goes, and you didnt like the fact, that maybe its because you dont have a very high quality amp. I gave u comparisons and stats, but yet u are still to stubborn to admit it. So kid stop getting all pissy faced at me because ur to cheap to go out and buy a decent amp and to stubborn to admit that ur wrong. Good bye and good night.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • polkaudiosupra101
    edited November 2001
    i was not putting bla bla bla reffering to you "mr. intelligence" i was simply putting that as bla bla bla this is a lot of stuff that has been written on this subject! and cheap amp??? what statistics and comparisons? please remind me; the only factual information that i have gotten out of your bad advice is that you are obviously threatened by people who question your intelligence clearly suggesting that you doubt your own intelligence because you consitently attack mine un-antagonized. so yes i do NOT appreciate your OPINION on how "unworthy" my amp is because you have shown no "factual information" to convince me that my amp is indeed a peice of crap. and i invite you to get a decibel reader or whatever its called (you should know you are the expert) and please, please, please check the loudness of the bass inside my car...........or maybe you keep pushin that my amp is a peice of crap because i got a better deal??? i would get upset too although attacking a 17 year olds intelligence and experience wouldn't be the way i would handle it but hey what do i know.. right??

by the way you still didn't answer my question; how do you know that my amp only puts out 350 rms. there's some factual info you can give. so please pull out whatever rusty information you have stuck in your head that you heard from a friend or whatever and by all means try to pass it off to me as if it were a fact. thanx anyways

scott (the ignorant 17 year old)
  • polkaudiosupra101
    edited November 2001
    you dont even know what series pyramid amp im running. or wait theyre all the same they lie about that too!
  • slack56
    slack56 Posts: 68
    edited November 2001
    Who cares,
    Interesting forum, everyone is so opinionated. I'm sure a Momo sub can sound good in a bandpass box otherwise no one would use them. Where are they in a trunk, the back of a van or SUV, or in the back of a hatchback perhaps a pickup. In a Supra I would think that space would be at a premium. Building a custom bandpass is extremely difficult to get right without some experience. I'm sure the momo would sound great in a sealed or bandpass box.
    Since the momo was designed for small sealed enclosures why not take advantage of it. Personally I prefer the faster transient response of a sealed sub.
    I wasn't aware the Momo couldn't be ported, a serious drawback? Only for Db starved systems and a 12" Momo with a decent amp will pound that little car. I'll stick with JL's thank you.
    Another advantage to the Bandpass is cone noise is non existent. If I were you I would replace the plexiglass and use the bandpass. Then build a sealed box and experiment between the two. A little word of advice, if you build a sealed box, build a box a tank could run over. And triple seal it, any air leak will seriously degrade performance

Polk Dog
  • polkaudiosupra101
    edited November 2001
    thanx but were talking about the gnx124 i am experimenting between sealed and bandpass. and actually i like the sealed one alot. but i think if i got my bandpass comp bvox retuned to my gnx124 i think the bandpass would hit a lot harder with less power. thanx

scott
  • Systems
    edited November 2001
    Hey guys! The GNX woofers work outstanding in ported enclosures from what I have been seeing. Scott, give Kim Jasper a call at Polk Audio's customer service department (800) 377-7655. I hear that he and Thom have been doing extensive testing on the new GNX woofers. Depending on the music(s) that you listen to, I am sure that he can come up with an enclosure that will work out best for you.

On another note, these forums can be extremely beneficial when used as they were intended. Let's give each other a break. After all, some of the guys that are brave enough to be asking their questions here are eager to learn but are affraid to ask someone in person. This is the only way that they can ask questions and not be affraid to do so. Our answers often come from our personal experiences. The info that we offer them might give them different options or ways to save money, time and/or headaches. Our "hobby" or "life" is fun. Let's share that fun!

Keep it between the ditches, rubber side down, and enought rubber on the wheels to make it back to the tire store!
    Dino
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    I belive the above post is of some of the dumbest material I have ever read in my life -- legacy / pyramid / what's next? pyle?

"my crap sub can beat up your crap sub"

why am i even reading this? oh ya.. i remember -- i was bored to death and started scouring the archived stuff.

:)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2003
    If that is an example of the kind of users that were here, no wonder these forums have such a low participation rate!

Ugh! They throughly butchered the sealed vs. bandpass argument too! It hurts my brain to read any of it!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2003
    WEll..I thought it was funny myself. The Question was asked...can I use the Pyramid amp...wich is 800w on my subs...

Basicaly..he was told yes.. due to the pyramid amp does not make rated power and the subs would be fine.

I agree. Pyramid equipement is the bottom of the barrel..but they also sell more car audio then anyone else...

I dont believe he was bashing the pyramid either...he was stating a fact..that every experienced person involved in car audio knows...

on another note... the bandpass vs. sealed.... blah

Bandpass will be louder...if thats what you want... but wont sound as good as the sealed...the boxes have totaly diff characteristics...and should not be compared IMO

peace
    :p
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    ... i just read the whole thread and came out of it thinking "and they think WE'RE bad".

har he har har :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge