Receiver

Options
atoul
atoul Posts: 1
Any Help/info is greatly appreciated.

I spent good money on my in-ceiling RC-80, in-wall RC-85, CSi30 center, and psw303 sub, but went a little cheaper on a DE595 Sony receiver (about 200bucks). It claims to have 600 total watts of power but when watching TV or DVD's I have to crank it up to at least 53-55 (up to a max of 70) on the volume to really enjoy the sound, it does sound really, really good though. But it seems i have to nearly max it out to hear it well. Do you think i just have a weak receiver or an incorrect/bad hookup.
--this is in a basebent that is half finished.
thanks.

a.
Post edited by atoul on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Well, the volume issue sounds fairly normal, esspecially if this is your first A/V Receiver. However, your system will only sound as good as your weakest link, and in this case I think the weak link is the Sony. As long as you are happy you have nothing to worry about, the volume issue is natural....

Anyways, welcome to the forums...
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    atoul,

don't be fooled by total watts. I see these high numbers in newspaper ads all the time.. claiming 1200W total power. Which looks impressive.... but when you break it down.. it's not the truth.

In your case... it's probably 100w X 6 = 600 meaning your receiver is basically able to produce 100 w per channel at it's peak. not 600 wpc.

It's normal for some receivers to have to be cranked up like your's. mine is the same way. for me to get any good decent sound quality out of it.. i need to raise mine to about 55 to 65 when watching a DVD. I guess because it's powering all the speakers.... except the sub, it takes more power. In stereo, i only have to crank it to about 45 or 50 and it's loud.

Sounds like your system sounds good to you.. and that's all the matters.

Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: