Looking for a fuse block for 3 wires/fuses

Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited January 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Didn't think it'll be that difficult to find it, need some help here.

I have 2 4g wires coming from the battery to my amps and one 0g for big3
So 3 wires alltogether - two 4g and one 0g

Instead of having an inline fuse for each i'd like to get a fuse block that would have 3 ins and 3 outs with 3 fuses inbetween (one per wire)

Ano has any suggestions???
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited January 2011
    I really like the circuit breaker type...no fuses to replace--

Something along the lines of this...I ended up soldering end caps on the cables:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk0BDuMRHUkm7VZyi_dbZ4M9wVJ-Dl0VG4ViT-RE-IuiR1ijtI

SGP901001.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhca9N-xUrh1J_Qk3DNt2axWiYSuIrgZHk1Gz9X9DPW0rvBfffzsAQl9ngGw

Or perhaps you're looking for something like this:

gfdb4%20agu.jpg
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited January 2011
    Not to take over your thread, but now that this has been brought up I have a question. TNRabbit, aside from not need to replace fuses, what would be the advantage of using the circut breaker style as opposed to a fuse style?

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2011
    First place to look for anything wiring:
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-23
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    Not to take over your thread, but now that this has been brought up I have a question. TNRabbit, aside from not need to replace fuses, what would be the advantage of using the circut breaker style as opposed to a fuse style?

Thanks.

That's about it. It also helps if you need to disconnect power, for which their can be many reasons. Instead of pulling a fuse and hoping you remember where you put it when you need it again, you can just hit a button.
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    exalted512 wrote: »
    First place to look for anything wiring:
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-23
    -Cody

Funny u worded it that way cuz it is the VERY first place i always look at when it comes to wiring lol.

The closest thing they have that would suit my needs is this, but it's not really it either. That's also exacltly the look and shape i'd like to have but it's more of a fused distro block, not fuse block. Im still thinking of getting it if i don't find EXACTLY what i'm after.

https://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-23
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    Or perhaps you're looking for something like this:

gfdb4%20agu.jpg

Yes, that's what i'm looking for BUT everything i find is a fused distro block with something like 0g coming in and 3 4g coming out. Pic you posted looks to be just that - fused distro block, no fuse block.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited January 2011
    KaosTsoc wrote: »

Thanks.

Don't have to buy new fuses... if it pops, you simply reset it.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    Vital wrote: »
    Funny u worded it that way cuz it is the VERY first place i always look at when it comes to wiring lol.

The closest thing they have that would suit my needs is this, but it's not really it either. That's also exacltly the look and shape i'd like to have but it's more of a fused distro block, not fuse block. Im still thinking of getting it if i don't find EXACTLY what i'm after.

https://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-23

That's what I linked you to...lol.

I guess I'm not really understanding why that won't work for you. All 3 lines are coming from the battery, and out to individual sources correct? Then this is perfect.
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited January 2011

I guess I'm not really understanding why that won't work for you. All 3 lines are coming from the battery, and out to individual sources correct? Then this is perfect.
    -Cody

Not really. It's fused distro block. Here's from Knu's info:
    Notes – The KNF-23 offers two input ports. However only one is required to be used in order to power all three fused outputs of the KNF-23 fuse block. This secondardy input port allows the installer to daisy chain additional fuse blocks together or connect a rear mounted battery to the rest of the system without adding extra connection points.

If instead of two 4g wires i run one 0 g from the battery to this block and then split it in two 4g i'm fine.
    BUT there's still my BIG3's 0g wire. Per Knu's note quoted above second input is basically good for nothing lol, i'll still have to use an inline fuse outside of this block. OR i can use my 0g wire as a third fused output but then really i'll be interfiering with amp's power wire coming from the battery.
    It's basically a distro with one 0gauge in and 3 whatever gauge out.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    If instead of two 4g wires i run one 0 g from the battery to this block and then split it in two 4g i'm fine.
    BUT there's still my BIG3's 0g wire. Per Knu's note quoted above second input is basically good for nothing lol, i'll still have to use an inline fuse outside of this block. OR i can use my 0g wire as a third fused output but then really i'll be interfiering with amp's power wire coming from the battery.
    It's basically a distro with one 0gauge in and 3 whatever gauge out.

For your original plan, you wanted to have (2) 4awg and (1) 0awg wires all coming off the battery, correct?
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    Correct.
    3 wires in, 3 wires out and 3 fuses inbetween. 1 fuse for each wire.
    Basically the same thing as having 3 regular inline fuses but in one housing.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Vital
    edited January 2011

-Cody

Ooops, just realized this LOL. I didn't click on the link you posted :redface: as as soon as i saw "www.knu...." i assumed u just posted a link to knu's homepage for me to look thru lol.
    But yeah, that WAS the first thing i looked over before even starting this thread :biggrin:
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    Correct.
    3 wires in, 3 wires out and 3 fuses inbetween. 1 fuse for each wire.
    Basically the same thing as having 3 regular inline fuses but in one housing.

Then if they're all coming off the same source, it doesn't matter if the block has 3 separate inputs, or 1 input. Either way, they're all connected somehow, either at the battery, or at the fuse block.
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    True, but in order for all 3 wires coming out of the block going towards the amps to get the amount of juice needed/wires can provide there has to be double zero gauge wire coming from the battery into this block.
    Same as 0g can evenly split up into two 4gs but cant provide enought juice for three or more 4g wires. That is offcourse true ONLY if all 4g wires actually need to carry all the power to the source.

Btw - don't get me wrong, im not trying to argue here lol, i would actually prefer someone convince me that this block is exactly what I need since I like the look of it, I just don't (yet?) See it as "perfect item" for my needs.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    I still don't see the problem. You were going to run (2) 4awg wires and (1) 1/0 wire to a fuse block, and the same out.

Now you can run (2) 1/0 in, and whatever you want out. It's going to have the same capacity as your initial plan, but it's also going to clean it up a little since you'll have one less wire. Win-win.
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    I still don't see the problem. You were going to run (2) 4awg wires and (1) 1/0 wire to a fuse block, and the same out.

Now you can run (2) 1/0 in, and whatever you want out. It's going to have the same capacity as your initial plan, but it's also going to clean it up a little since you'll have one less wire. Win-win.
    -Cody

U're missing a very important thing here - one of the inputs does not lead to any fuses.
    First input powers up all 3 wires coming out (along with all 3 fuses)
    Second input is for "daisy chainin" which is basically another output, just not fused.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Find a Machinist and have him make it to your specs.

Yeah, the more i try to find a piece i'm after the more i realize that it doesn't exist lol so i'll have to either get creative myself (should be difficult as long as i can find parts needed, including a nice cover) or pay machinist to do this for me.

BTW while we're at it - some time ago some of you might remember i asked how i can hook up 3 fat wires to my battery post since new Nissans have SHITLOADS of stocks fuses there and there's not a single aftermarket terminal post that would work with new Altimas (as well as most new Nissans)
    So i'm getting this terminal block done. Should come out very nice and clean while still holding all my wires securly.

PictureorVideo925.jpg

PictureorVideo926.jpg

And here's what stock clapm looks like:
    SU1HMDA1MDUuanBn.jpg

P.S. what i SHOULD HAVE DONE in the very beginning is get a battery with additional posts dedicated to aftermarket wiring, would make my life a lot easier lol but too late now.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    U're missing a very important thing here - one of the inputs does not lead to any fuses.
    First input powers up all 3 wires coming out (along with all 3 fuses)
    Second input is for "daisy chainin" which is basically another output, just not fused.

You're right. I'm definitely not understanding. Draw a picture?
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    ^^ ?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    I'm not understanding what you're saying...can you draw a picture of what you're wanting to accomplish?
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    Here's what i want (basic 3 separate fuses)

SU1BRzAxNjkuanBn.jpg

Here's how i believe Knu's block works:

SU1BRzAxNzAuanBn.jpg

IF Knu's block allowed for double zero gauge as an input then i'd be fine but single zero gauge wire will not split up properly to feed one 0g and two 4g's.
    what i COULD do with this block is use that second "unfused" in (which in reality is out) for my big3 wire and fuse it outside the block but that's not really what i want. I want to have only 1 fuse block, not block AND an inline fuse next to it.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    It IS a double 1/0 input. The input is one big hunk of metal...all the same piece.

Meaning (2) 1/0 ins, (2) 4 and (1) 1/0 out.
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    The more i look at it the more i realize that what you've been saying makes sense and are you 100% correct.

Now i feel like a complete dumbass LOL.

THANK YOU for getting me closer to sanity!!! haha
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    Happens to everyone:biggrin:
    -Cody
  • Vital
    edited January 2011
    Here's another "sanity check" lol,

Technically alt is powering the battery, not the other way around. SO with this block (or any other one that's not exactly how i wanted it in the beggining - SEPARATED outs/fuses/lines) jiuce will go directly from the alt to my amps without any fuses inbetween, no???

Not sure i like that.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    edited January 2011
    No. It would pass from the alternator, through the alternator fuse on the distribution block, back out the distribution block through ANOTHER fuse (for the amps).

To put it simply...the one that you wanted initially and the one I link to perform the exact same function in every way.

-Cody

Edit:

BTW, knu's HAS separated outs, its the input that's one solid piece.