System question...

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I currently have 2 MM100's (one out of commission) and I'm looking into buying a new amp for them. Now, currently I have 8 guage power/ground run.

The amp that I want to get is the MTX 801D. If I'm not mistaken, this amp has a power rating of 800 watts RMS @ 2ohms. This would be perfect for my subs, correct? Is the current 8 guage power/ground wires thick enough for this amp? Also, if I add a capacitor to my system, how do I wire it correctly?

Any and all help/suggestions appreciated! Thanks!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    yes those are the correct specs for that amp
    far as 8awg, i would seriously consider 4awg
    at www.knukonceptz.com they have it for $.99 a foot, which is probably the cheapest youll find anywhere, the only other thing you might have to replace is the fuse holder if its too small
    as far as a capacitor, it will come with instructions on how to charge it, after being charged this is what you do
    run the power wire from your battery to the fuse to the capacitor
    there are two screws on the capacitor one power, and one ground
    run the power wire to the cap, then run a seperate power wire from cap to amp
    then you want to ground your capacitor on the ground side...and run another wire from the ground to the ground on your amp...so youll ground your cap and amp at the same place
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited July 2003
    I have a question about Grounding the Cap. I have my BD500 grounded to the Cap and then to a seat bolt. Did the same with my Power 550x on its own cap. Is there a problem by doing this? I ask because everyone says to run seperate Ground leads. My previous car had 3 MTX Thunders grounded the same way for over 1 1/2 years. Never had a problem.
    Thanks
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    well on my truck it has "gunk" to not let dust or anything in from the outside
    but as long as its a nice "clean" ground i wouldnt see why not...
    but its not that big of a deal(to me)to drill a hole under the carpet where no one will ever see it...
    but you said it worked for you for 1 1/2 yrs so unless theres a reason i dont know of...i wouldnt see why not
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    801D's will do fine -- if u wanna get a price break look for a 6500D somewhere on closeout -- its the same damn amp... 6500D = at least 500 x 1 at 12.5 volts / roughly 775 x 1 at 14.4 volts -- 801D = at least 500 x 1 at 12.5 v / roughly 800 x 1 at 14.4

i'm more of an 81000D / 1501D guy myself though...

you'll need 4 gauge for the 801 -- it'l draw upwards of 70 amps, which would cause problems for 8 gauge... it exceeds the standards of the wire.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge