Question about MM100

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have two of the original MM100 (I don't know if the new ones have the same model name/number) and I was in my car the other day when I heard this popping sound.

I took the sub out that the sound was comming from and one of the speaker leads (inside the speaker) came off the post. Now, the company where I bought the speaker has gone bankrupt within the last month and I was told I can't get a receipt.

Also, if Polk will replace the messed up sub, will they replace it with the same model? (Because I dont really want two different model, one new & one old)

Do I try to solder it back on the post myself?

Please help! Thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    this was a problem with the old mm100s and 120s
    a lot of people have just soldered it back on and have been fine with them afterwards
    just be very careful
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    My subwoofers are about 1 year (maybe a little more) old and I bought them from Colorado Custom Home Entertainment.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    ya if they're stil under warranty (like less than 3 years i think) and u got them from an authorized dealer, polk will probably just give you two new subs...

if not -- solder that sucker on... you can even add 1 inch of 16 gauge wire onto there if you want to prevent it from happening again -- just better solder it damn good or 1- you'll burn the lead, 2- you'll have it fall of... 3- god will hate you.

good luck dude :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    I don't have my original receipt and, like I said in my original post, when I contacted the owner of the company...he wouldn't issue me a receipt because they're going bankrupt.

On another note: What could cause the speaker lead to fall off like that? If I have it soldered back on to the post, is there a chance that it having come off damaged anything else in the sub?

Thanks for the help!

Tyler
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    tyler, u're best just swapping them out - from the way kim sounds, they're gonna hook you up with new ones without a sweat, so jump on it dude.

if you really wanna try to fix the darn thing though -- its not major surgery -- and unless you overheat the tinsel lead wire when u go to solder it, then u wont hurt anything -- if u do overheat it, you can jackup the glue job where the lead goes throgh the cone and toward the coil... hell u can even damage the coil.

its something i reccomend only when warranty is not available, in which case, minor surgery is usually more appealing then forkin out cash for a new sub.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    So I should send them both back? Or if I send just the one back will it get replaced with the same model?

Thanks again
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    what kim is saying is that if you send both...theyll send you 2 of the new models...even though only one is broke
    -Cody