Adding dynamat to doors = huge improvement

pentoncm
pentoncm Posts: 379
edited January 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Last weekend I added dynamat to the stock speaker enclosures in my doors and i'm hearing a BIG difference. There is so much more clean midbass and the blending between my components and my sub is much better now. Previously i had cut 125Hz by -4db because it was so noisy but now the midbass is so clear that i raised it up to -2db and this caused me to raise most of my other eq settings as well resulting in a much more balanced sound. I also was able to drop my crossover points for my components and sub. Front db6501s hpf at 50hz (12db/octave from headunit), and i've also added another 12db/octave at the amp at about 50hz, this made the kickdrum clearer and separate from deep bass notes. Likewise I have the db1212 lpf at 50hz (18db/octave). The stock enclosure was quite big because it angled the speakers similar to door pods but not sticking out of the door as much. Anyway the enclosure was made of plastic so no wonder i was missing bass/midbass out of the db components. I covered the entire enclosure and the speakers are mounted directly on a layer of dynamat and the sides are contacting dynamat. In addition the area surrounding the speakers is heavily dampened as well.
Audison Bit Ten
Kenwood X595
Polk MM6501
Polk MM1240
Mtx 704x
Alpine MRX50
Post edited by pentoncm on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2011
    As a general rule, you can never have too much Dynamat.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited January 2011
    Dynamat and ensolite are a great combo, the first time you do it can get messy and sloppy, but take your time and cut out the proper holes for bits and pieces and you are good to go. The edead stuff works well too.
  • greyford1979
    greyford1979 Posts: 749
    edited January 2011
    Love the stuff, just hate to install it lol:tongue:
    I love animals, they're delicious!