Elder Scrolls V announced for 11-11-11

Options
munk
munk Posts: 258
edited January 2014 in Video Games
Bethesda announced a couple weeks ago during the video games awards Skyrim is coming.

Now we'll find out if Bethesda can keep the open sandbox or will follow industry standards with the main plot finale being end of game. It doesn't pay as well to include subplots and time when their peers have shrunk these considerably. Any game manufacturer who puts in more gets my dollar, bucking the trend of Halo. I'd be willing to spend more to get more.

Bethesda says the new engine will make you believe you have a new console entirely, not unlike the reaction many had to Oblivion.

Two Worlds goes on sale soon, another open ender I'll have to check out.
I'm hoping capitalism will continue to provide the kind of open ended game many want.
Post edited by munk on

Comments

• punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited January 2011
    Options
    me too. just hope they fix the automatic mob-scaling that Oblivion had.. I don't want the mobs to automatically level as I level.. I shouldn't be fighting epic level road bandits just because I'm cooler..

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • munk
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I didn't like charging magic equipment all the time just to fight road bandits....And you're right about top leveled bandits. Maybe some bandit leaders with enhanced skills, but your average road agent? If he's that good, why is he starving by the side of the road?

I'd like to see more road traffic also- wagons, vagrants, immigrants, coaches, anything. And now Bethesda has figured out how or why to put children in the game- for more realism, I hope the next Elder Scroll has them.
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I have faith in Bethesda and every Elder Scrolls game is a blind buy for me anyway.. I'm sure they'll deliver.

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • munk
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's my home game, my go to, relax in the easy chair and forget the cares of the world game. Oblivion and Morrowind changed my view of video games. Oblivion is still a wonder.

I was one of those who actualy wrote Bethesda once a year and asked them to please bring out Elder Scrolls 5. When my 14 year old heard the news, he wanted to shout.
    He was back from a wrestling meet and it was midnight. I had the top of the screen papered over so he wouldn't see the Bethesda biline, and then played him the promo.

There is a lot of heart in the Elder Scrolls games.
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I really liked oblivion. I think they put a whole lot of effort into it... there was a lot you could do, and I liked the open world. I think the side quests were better than the main one though; those oblivion gates were just redundant. As mentioned, the leveling of bandits and the like was particularly annoying. I'd like to think that after I was hero of cyrodil, or whatever, I would be able to **** slap bandits with no problem. Thankfully, the game was easy to mod and anything you didn't like, you could fix... or someone had already fixed.
  • munk
    edited January 2011
    Options
    games are faced with either leveling up the same old villains or introducting new challenges or both as the hero progresses. I thought it amusing that if you wanted the latest gear, you'd better take it off a bandit. What's the name of that cave full of the black bow bandits and the competition fighting it out? Milk something- anyway, always has the latest gear.

The oblivion gates were tedious to me at first, but later I enjoyed them more. That's only one part of the main quest. I have to give the main quest full credit for a great job. It is actually remarkable that so many of the Guild story lines, and other side quests, are as good.

The oblivion world outside Chorrol always is the same and contains a very powerful bow and arrows. There's a mace too.

Theres also the 'mace of doom' if you want to use the cheat and get to the experimental developement area of the game. I use Goldbrand most of the time, but the truth is the forumula weapons you can make are more powerful, each hit adding exponentially to the damage.

details, shop talk- I don't care much about- its just the game has so much heart, is so well balanced. And there is some humor. The men and women making these games are the new geniuses of our age. We are going to see so much. The new Ennio Morricone's are going into video games; the music scores for Morrowind and Oblivion are by a award winning rising talent.

a video game is going to be like a great book, and a movie, and a comic, and rocknroll, all wound together and participatory, interative. There is nothing like it. I feel like I'm watching the infancy of one of man's greatest art forms. I wonder if Dashell Hammet (sic) would recognize Max Payne?
  • munk
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Gamespot called it, "simply one of the greatest RPG's ever made", and it won game of the year.
    Maybe it's not as entertaining or as repetitive as putting the F word in every other sentence, but it set sales records for its time.

....and you never have to buy it if you don't want to.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Bump!

I picked this up a few weeks ago. I've been looking at it for a year and now it's released on greatest hits. I'm roughly thirty hours into it, and CAN'T put it down! So far it's shaping up to be one of the best games I've ever played. I know I'm a bit behind the ball on this one, but I'll catch up quick.

I'm really focusing on my smithing skills right now, I've been doing the creating iron daggers left and right. From what I've read online that seems to be a good path to start out on. I'm getting fairly close to being able to enchant items, and I may focus less on it once I get to that point.

Anybody have good tips for a young Dragonborn? :smile:
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2014
    Options
    save often,
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited January 2014
    Options
    save often,

Oh, I've already learned that the hard way. lol. I've read online where people we're having framerate issues/crashing when the save file got to a certain size. I'm hoping they have this fixed and is not the case anymore. I'd hate to put in a hundred hours only to not be able to play it anymore.
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2014
    Options
    as well as game issues, there will be ties where you have more than one way of ddoing things, and doing it one way will lock you out of doing other things, not huge issue, but it gives you the option to go back and try the alternative and get more out of it
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Elder Scroll Online comes out in April, can't wait for that.
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2014
    Options
    im excited, but i kinda feel it goes against what the elderscrolls has been, at least for me.I see it as a huge world rpg with hours of gameplay, without waiting for new games to start, no one else to blame for your progress or performance, and you are free to do whatever you want. Sure online will maintain many of these traits, but in a gameworld effected by the actions of other players and limited by your your companions, or lack there of. It makes you dependant on other players, and seems like a remastered copy of WOW. that is just my thoughts as it stands, with only a few youtube video's under my belt for kowledge of it.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I think there's room for both. I love the isolation of playing Skyrim by myself for hours at a time occasionally, but there have been plenty of times where I thought to myself it would be awesome to crank through some of this stuff with my usual group of gaming buddies. It's never going to replace Skyrim for me, but will be a nice supplemental game assuming that it is executed well.

I'd still like to see more content for Skyrim or another installment in the series though, and assume the latter will happen at some point.

I could never get in to WoW, always just too cartoonish for me. ESO looks like an adult version of WoW.
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2014
    Options
    never liked any mmo, and i hope in addition to new installments, and HD re-release of morrowind and oblivion, similar to what was done with the hitman games. i would love to play older TES games on my newer consoles.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I never played any of the earler TES games, but very likely would if they did an HD version of those. I'd love it, but imagine at this point that it would be cost prohibitive to do it correctly. I was not aware they did the Hitman games, will have to check that out.

Serious Sam got an HD version, but it wasn't particularly good. If Bethesda were going to do something similar with the TES games they'd need to do a better job, you can't really half **** it with games like that.
  • seabeerob213
    edited January 2014
    Options
    true, mostly i want morrowind because the earlier games were back when resolution was counted in bits ranging in the 2 digit ballpark, haha, and oblivion was first released for pc and 360.
  • GAMEPHRENIC GOD
    GAMEPHRENIC GOD Posts: 53
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I am sad to announce, I was never able to finish this game; because my Darkbrotherhood initiate was stuck in Darkwain Museum. I am so disappointed and I was so far. No resets or time scale resets allow this to happen or wait time.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I've really enjoyed all the Elder Scrolls & Fallouts and looking forward to see what they are doing with it!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD