Rotel RSX-965

Options
acdds
acdds Posts: 253
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Does anyone know something about this receiver? It is 75x5. I can pick one up for $450 (dealer demo). It cannot decode DTS-ES, PLII, or Dolby EX and it is 5.1. It does have a 5.1 input for 5.1 stereo ability (I think, but I do 90% HT and 10%music) However, I am not sure I have the room to add a rear center so 6.1 or 7.1 may not be an option for me. Looking over the forum, there are a lot of good things said about Rotel sound and power. Any thoughts if this is a good receiver for the price?
Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
DVD = Denon DV-2900
Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
(Carver m1.5t)
Center = CSi40
Side surrounds = Fxi30's
Sony 12" sub
TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
Rti38's
Post edited by acdds on

Comments

• Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I remember seeing a review in Home Theater Magazine. I believe it is about 3-4 yrs old. A very good sounding receiver compared to the main stream (japanese) brands, typical of rotel.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'd snag it. In fact, if you don't... get it for me!

Seriously, it's a little old. It was replaced by the current RSX-1055. As long as it has the features that you want/need... go for it!
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'd jump all over that too. Will the dealer give you any warranty?

It may be 75 X 5 but should give you a full 75 X 5 hi-amp power; my RSX-1055 does 100 X 2 for two channel music. I'd be willing to bet the RSX-965 does the same.

Dude, its a Rotel....... enough said...

here is the owner's manual for more info....

http://www.rotel.com/support/pdfs/manuals/RSX965.pdf

And there are two 2000 year reviews for it on this page:

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Audio/Receivers/Receiver_Reviews/Surround_Sound_Receivers/2000/

This will also make an excellent pre-amp / pro if you want to add a Rotel 5 channel amp later (or something else).
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The dealer will give me the full 5 year warranty and also I can return it if I don't like it. I was researching it and found that some people had problems decoding DTS signals. The dealer said that I can return it for a refund or trade it for a Denon 2803 for $700 (I would pay the difference). I am having trouble making my mind up because the Rotel is not really upgradeable and the Denon is 7.1 ready. Any thoughts about which is the better model to buy (according to sound quality in a home theater set-up)?
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I agree, its a Rotel, fine piece of equipment, and 5.1 surround is no slouch when set up correctly. It is the basis for all the other formats and is extremely well supported.

My AVR is 6.1 ready, but I have more things to do before I worry about a rear channel. I would pick it up, and judge for yourself.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    acdds,

Well you have a tough call to make here bud. I believe for sound quality the Rotel is hard to beat. The Denon will give you sound quality and beuceup ("many" as we say in Louisiana pronounced boo - cooo) features that the Rotel may be lackiing. To me, it all boils down to sound quality, and while the Denon is no slouch by any means with your system, I would have to listen to the Rotel with that five year warranty and great amps in that receiver and give it a whirl just to see if it gives you a grin from ear to ear.

That's a $1,200 Rotel receiver you are staring right in the face just a few years ago my friend. Rotel has its bugs no doubt, but it seems like you have a no risk purchase here if you can return it and I would put my money on Rotel here just to listen and try it out.