to use sr6500 x overs, or go fully active???

polk cult
polk cult Posts: 10
edited January 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can anyone pipe in on what the advantages might be /not be if I bi-amp the x-overs on my sr6500s? Or should I go active? Like another member here, I too have a Soundstream HRU.4 and want to use it on my sr6500 for the front sound stage. I can run em fully active off the amp, but read somewhere on this forum how well thought out the SR x-overs were.
Post edited by polk cult on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2011
    It depends on what youre looking for.

If youre not wanting to spend a lot of time with trial and error trying different settings and tuning, run them straight off the x-overs. Cant go wrong there.

If you dont mind a little tuning, bi-amp them thru the x-overs. This way you dont have to worry about the proper crossover frequency, youll just adjust the gains of the tweeter channels to better blend in with the mids.

Or if you want to do some tuning and get the best SQ possible, run them fully active and experiment with the best settings.

The best I found, and this has been in 3 different cars now, is cut both the mid and tweet off at 4 KHz @ 24 db/oct.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D