Soundstream

KaosTsoc
KaosTsoc Posts: 372
edited January 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was looking at sub amps. I know that alpine PDX are good, and efficient, and are right now my number one choice. However when looking around today, and kept seeing soundstream coming up, and Im wondering if they make a good amp? Also how do they compair to the PDX?

Thanks.
2006 Prerunner Access Cab
5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
Pioneer P860 Head Unit
Polk Audio MM6501
Alpine PDX F-6
Two SR124(SVC)
Alpine PDX M12
Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
Post edited by KaosTsoc on

Comments

• eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited December 2010
    not sure about thier lower lines but i just put an hru.4 into my truck in the last 24hrs running my hertz millie/hybrid audio front stage active and i couldnt be happier with it....fyi it is a monster in size.
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited December 2010
    Soundstream USED to make some very very solid amps.
    PDX amps have noise issues.
    Just read reviews. I have some people in my area that use Soundstream and they like them just fine.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    edited December 2010
    Soundstream USED to make some very very solid amps.
    PDX amps have noise issues.
    Just read reviews. I have some people in my area that use Soundstream and they like them just fine.

Uhhh....no, they still do.

PDX amps do not have noise issues either. The only time I have ever heard a PDX amp with noise issues was listening to a rig that the kid wired up using a rear seatbelt anchor as a ground point. Installation is everything. A poor install can make the best amps you've ever seen perform like complete crap.

As far as Soundstream goes, they have a long and storied history in the car audio world. They were the bees knees at one point and highly coveted for their clean, reliable power. The bonus was they made GOBS of it. They were grossly under-rated too, usually by 50% or more. Alot of it had to do with the output circuit designs and the very progressive distortion curves they had. Worked alot like a tube amp. They were a standard that quite a few other companies were chasing at the time.

There was a time there in the late 90's when the economy had gone to hell and the car audio world suffered because nobody had the spare change to spend on it. Soundstream felt the pinch and quality control went down the tubes. They recovered around 2002-2003 and started making decent products again. The first ones I got after they pulled their heads out of their butts was the Van Gogh series which I helped a member here install in his truck. They were purty! But better than that, my God! The sound, the power, they were very impressive especially since two big amps ran him just under a grand! I can't remember how much power we put in but it was over 2,000 watts I think.

A couple years ago, they updated the old Reference series with new electronics to take advantage of modern technology. The big blue Reference series is what gave Soundstream their name. The new ones are every bit as good as the old ones from what I've seen. They are cheaper now too! They don't look much different from the old late 80's originals and build quality is similar. The only thing I can think of is parts are cheaper now and they had very little development costs since the designs were already fleshed out 20 years ago.

Yeah, if you want a Soundstream, the Reference series is hard to beat and it's honestly a legend in the car audio world. Unlike stuff from modern Orion, Phoenix Gold and such, it isn't a shell of it's former self either.

http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProducts/Amplifiers/reference.htm

Although, if you're looking for a good amp, Polk Audio's offerings will serve to impress and even though they are not cheap, they seem to be worth every penny. Soundstream is a good alternative though.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited December 2010
    FYI - on eBay there are daily Polk PA 660 for sale from BestBuyOutlet. These are used units that are generally going for $80-90.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • polk cult
    polk cult Posts: 10
    edited January 2011
    Old school Soundstream is legendary in the car audio field. After a few lean years, a lapse in quality control and a drastically changing mobile audio market, Soundstream came back with an impressive line of products to fit most any budget. The new reference line is very, very good and the rubicons are a great deal for the money. Too bad the human reigns didn't survive... truely an audiphile quality amp.
  • Jstas
    edited January 2011
    They still have a Human Reign line. They call it Human Reign Unleashed or something. No more fancy cover with the face coming out of the amp though.

http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProducts/Amplifiers/humanreign.htm

• polk cult
    edited January 2011
    The new human reigns have been discontinued as well :(
  • Jstas
    edited January 2011
    Since when? They are in the 2010 catalog. It's only been 2011 for 1 day.

• polk cult
    edited January 2011
    Jstas wrote: »
    Since when? They are in the 2010 catalog. It's only been 2011 for 1 day.

Sad but true. Sometime mid summer last year the plug was pulled, the ones ya see sellin for. $400.00-500.00 are the last of em. VERY highly recommend them... at that price its a steal. The HRU.2 is all but sold out now :( and I still need one!!!
  • eprater1
    edited January 2011
    They are discontinued but out there to be had.i picked this one up about a month ago and just finished the install of it yesterday. it is very clear.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited January 2011
    eprater1 wrote: »
    not sure about thier lower lines but i just put an hru.4 into my truck in the last 24hrs running my hertz millie/hybrid audio front stage active and i couldnt be happier with it....fyi it is a monster in size.

What kind of truck did you put this in?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• KaosTsoc
    edited January 2011
    Sorry have not been on, been pretty busy. Well at least they are good. As for Polk amps, I have been looking at them for the comps in the front, they only bad thing is that polk does not make an amp that puts out enough power to power two SR 12's. However Soundstream does, and it is good to know they are that good. I was thinking of the alpin M12, but after reading everything, it does not look like it will put out the 1500 watts that im looking for. Again soundstream does, and from what I have seen they have good prices on their stuff if you buy direct, worse case I buy for a place that has them cheeper, but again they are the cheepest so far the power im looking for, and seem to built good as well. At least they have to be better than the crunch amp im using now lol. Does anyone know much about their tower of power sires?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• eprater1
    edited January 2011
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    What kind of truck did you put this in?

Thanks.

Everything went into my 2006 F-350 single rear wheel Crew cab Lariat. Putting the lift kit and tires on it in the next month or so as soon as the tires on it get a little more worn.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited January 2011
    eprater1 wrote: »
    Everything went into my 2006 F-350 single rear wheel Crew cab Lariat. Putting the lift kit and tires on it in the next month or so as soon as the tires on it get a little more worn.

Ah. Ok, so you have more room than I do. I have a tacoma access cab, so space will be some what of an issue, maybe. It depends on how I set it all up. Install looks good though.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2011
    The first ones I got after they pulled their heads out of their butts was the Van Gogh series which I helped a member here install in his truck. They were purty! But better than that, my God! The sound, the power, they were very impressive especially since two big amps ran him just under a grand! I can't remember how much power we put in but it was over 2,000 watts I think.

Yeah Buddy. That rig f#ckin rocked... IIRC we put all Van Gogh Series, Vga 1600.2 and a VGA 500.4 pushing a pair of Momo 10" DVC's and a pair of MMc6500's in a F150 ex Cab. **** burnt up three alternators...:biggrin:

I still got all of it, too:wink:
  • KaosTsoc
    edited January 2011
    Ok. So, now that I know soundstream is good. Does anybody know about Massive Audio amps. There is a guy I know around here that builds audio systems, and he says that massive audio makes good amps, and they are super small, and efficient. So, does any know about them, or heard of them.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• Outfitter03
    Outfitter03 Posts: 563
    edited January 2011
    Spam Reported.