Dr. Spec - SVS PB-4 Impression?

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
Dr. Spec,
just curious if you have heard the mother ship in action? It peeks my curiosity, albeit the price will prevent me from getting one anytime soon. It caught my interest since it let you choose the finish, and Ebony is one of the choice. It would be very cool to match this with the LSi Ebony. But, sound wise, I haven't read any reviews. At this price range, I would imagine it will compete head-to-head with REL Stadium III. Your thoughts? thanks...
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Here is a recent review (Audioguy) from someone who bought TWO B4-Plus subs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=141642&perpage=20&pagenumber=56

There are a couple of owners at HTF - do a search for the B4-Plus or the B4+ and see what comes up.

The designation is B4-Plus - this is a passive sub. The "P" (if it were present in the model designation) would stand for powered. About 2,000-2,500 watts continuous high current power is the right range for an amp. The Crown K2 is a popular choice.

I have not heard one, nor will I probably anytime in the near future. I know an owner in Cananda and I have an open invite, but it's a hike.

If I ever get over to the SVS R&D and manufacturing facility in Ohio, I'll probably audition one there.

You can get an unfinished one for $2000 even, although SVS does not advertise that fact heavily, it is a popular seller.

An HTF owner had one perfectly matched to his Rockets and posted pics - it looks fabulous.

You're joking about the REL Stadium III, right?

Take a look at the TOTL REL Studio III:

Two 10" long throw drivers
    500 watts continuous power
    27x24x22
    One 6" transmission line port
    93 pounds

Now take a look at the SVS PB2-Plus:

Two 12" long throw drivers
    900 watts continuous power
    28x25x18
    Three 4" dual flared vents
    105 pounds

From a performance standpoint, the PB2-Plus will outperform the Stadium III. The B4-Plus will leave it for dead; they are not even on the same playing field.

Perhaps a better match-up from an aesthetics standpoint will be the PB2-Ultra. It's based on the PB2-Plus, but with a furniture grade wood finish and two TV-12 Ultra drivers. Figure on a decent performance bump over the PB2-Plus with about 1,000 watts continuous, an extra 2 dB max SPL, and a price tag of around $2,000.

Here's what REL has going for it:

1) Extremely high quality build, fit, and finish - REL reeks of quality.

2) The high and low level balanced inputs (Neutrik/XLR) allow for separate and simultaneuous volume and frequency inputs. The REL connection system has unparalleled flexibility.

Here's what REL has against it:

1) You are paying for the import cost, the name, and the dealer and sales distribution network.

2) No one in the U.S. has ever run one through an independent, rigorous performance test from a professional reviewer for FR, THD, IMD, SPL, extension, etc. In the subwoofer business, numbers talk and mystique walks.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Doc,
    thanks for the comments. Whoa, I got spanked on this one :D :eek:

With no data points at all, I was strictly basing my statements on the approximate pricing range (Stadium is about $3k and B-4 is about $3.8k) but, thanks for the information...

I can't imagine TOTL REL since I know its price is way up there! Now, I can see a PB-1 in my future for my second system (back to reality here) and it seems the PB-2 Ultra might be prettier (better WAF ) although PB-1 looks pretty conservative. These prices that you mentioned, are those advertised?

Thanks again, Doc...!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/news.htm

Go here for the latest and greatest on all SVS future products, including estimated costs.

Actually, what might be a VERY nice sub for you would be the forthcoming PB1-Plus. It will be a larger and better performing version of the PB1-ISD, with a dB-12 "Plus" woofer, three 3" flared vents, and the 525 watt Bash amp. From a performance standpoint, it will be like a PC-Plus cylinder sub - in other words extremely potent. The nice thing is it will have a furniture grade wood exterior available in 5 different finishes. Figure about $1,000 even.

The PB1-ISD now comes in different colors if the textured finish does it for you. It adds $50 to the cost for a total of $650.

Doc

SVS
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Doc, thanks for the info...
    Till then you might want to look over the first review written on this sub. Super-user Ed Mullen is just your typical family-man with a photographic memory and an expert in both ballistics and industrial environmental controls. He's also emerged as one of the most thorough subwoofer reviewers we've run into lately. Did we mention that SVS customers are a special breed? Fortunately YOU don't need to need to know "the effective trajectory and range of NATO 5.56 ball ammunition", but for the time being you do need to be more patient than folks waiting for run-of-the-mill subwoofers made by one of the other subwoofer OEMs out there.

Great acknowledgement there, Doc...and don't you ever think of quitting the forum! :D:D we need you here!

I am now thinking seriously on getting the PB1- Plus...timing would be perfect since we are looking at October time frame, right where I want to reward myself with early christmas present... :)
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Yep, that's me. :o:o

I think the PB1-Plus will be an extremely good seller. SVS has always realized the market for furniture grade box subs. It just had to prove itself on the performance front first with the cylinders and now has the sales volume and the cash flow to expand into the box market and do it right.

They are essentially borrowing technology and experience and performance from the cylinder subs and applying it directly to an appropriately sized box. It's really quite simple when you think about it. A sub can't tell what the enclosure shape is - if it doesn't flex and has about the same internal volume, it will sound identical. So they use the same amps, drivers, vents and just stuff it into a different shaped enclosure. It will be virtually impossible to tell a 20-39PC-Plus and a PB1-Plus apart sonically.

Doc

SVS