Gran Turismo Racers, wheel or controller?

Options
Toxis
Toxis Posts: 5,116
edited February 2011 in Video Games
I know I'm getting GT5 real soon and I hear the steering wheel is the beat way to play. But is it really worth 100-150 bucks? I played GT1, 2 and 3 with controllers but never tried a wheel. So what are you using or what do you prefer? Also if you say wheel, which one are you using and do you like it?
Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
Post edited by Toxis on

Comments

• LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It's a completely different game with a wheel. I bought the original Logitech Driving Force wheel when GT 3 came out. It's still in use with GT 5, though since it was a direct port from PC, it lacks the Playstation-specific buttons that the new ones have.

Worth the money? Every penny. You'll notice that the handling changes with each car, and if you are set up in front of a big screen, it really sucks you into the game.

They have a new wheel out, with more realistic materials, (metal, leather) a clutch pedal, and 6 speed gate shifter @ $300, or the Driving Force GT for half that. Can't go wrong with either one. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/wheels

The only drawback, is how to mount it. I cobbled up a stand modified from an old 2' step ladder, but will be building something a bit more WAF friendly. These are pretty cool though...http://www.logitech.com/en-us/265/6687
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The mounting is the big thing holding me back. I like that office chair in your link, but wowsers at the price.

My coffee table is too low to use unless I sit in the floor, which I'd rather not do.

I'd be curious if anyone here has any neat wheel mounting tips that would make usage more viable and still not break the bank.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • LessisNevermore
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This looks VERY interesting http://www.fanatec.de/ Click on the RennSport Wheel Stand

The Porsche Wheels there look pretty badass too.
  • Toxis
    edited December 2010
    Options
    A buddy of mine has his wheel sitting on a computer desk and is using a 42" pioneer plasma as his gaming monitor. I will be using my 92" screen and don't have any way of mounting a wheel so I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations. Keep it coming guys! I don't know how long I can hold out on buying this game lol

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited December 2010
    Options
    the quick and dirty way to do it is to mount the wheel to a board (a piece of shelf from a broken bookshelf or whatever) and then you can set that on your knees anywhere you sit. It's not perfect, but it works better than not having it mounted to anything at all. It's the way we have been playing it.

I find the game somewhat more challenging with the wheel, but I've only had the wheel for 2 days. It is way more realistic with the wheel, so I like the wheel better, thus far.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You need the wheel plus the chair and all the controls.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Toxis
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Such as?

• LessisNevermore
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Such as this. Stand
    You didn't mention a budget, this one is $130, and it's big brother is 10 times the price.

One definitely has more WAF than the other.....:biggrin:
  • cnoat
    cnoat Posts: 315
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The wheel.You can bulid your own chair.
    Parasound Avc-1800
    Mains-Rti 12 -Parasound 1500a
    Center-Csi5-Parasound 1000a
    Rears-Rti 8-Parasound 750a
    Sub SVS Ultra Tv 12
    Diamondback and King Cobra IC's
    AQ T4 SC
  • Toxis
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What wheel is everyone using? Any have a clutch pedal that isn't $300?

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Toxis wrote: »
    Such as?

This is what I put in for my son a year ago.

1) Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
    G25 Racing Wheel
    2) Playseat racing chair.
    Racing Chair
    3) PS3 Formula One Championship Edition
    PS3 F1 Game
    4 Polk Audio SurroundBar SDA Instant Home Theater
    Polk SDA - IHT
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • LessisNevermore
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What wheel is everyone using? Any have a clutch pedal that isn't $300?

None that I'm aware of.....

You could look for the previous Logitech model, the G25. It's discontinued, so should be found for less, if you can find one. Buttons are assignable within the game.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2010
    Options
    cnoat wrote: »
    The wheel.You can bulid your own chair.

Wheel and seat is so much fun. I've seen some nice ones on Youtube.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • ballen823
    ballen823 Posts: 110
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I just picked up the DFGT wheel and mounted it on a $10 TV tray from Target. It certainly has it's drawbacks, but works for the time being. It's a whole new experience with the wheel - some stuff is easier, but as you get further into the game, it gets tough without a sufficient wheel stand to brace the wheel (think high speed and hard turns).

I think the cheapest way to create a wheel stand would be with PVC.
  • Toxis
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Went ahead and snagged the DFGT and GT5. Love it but have the wheel rigged. Might keep an eye out for a car seat and build something but other than $100-150, any stand suggestions??

• ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited December 2010
    Options
    So, has anyone used steering wheels with GT5?
    Does it feel like a car simulator with the wheels?
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ysss wrote: »
    So, has anyone used steering wheels with GT5?
    Does it feel like a car simulator with the wheels?

So did you read ANY of the above posts, or are you just trying to get to 100 to sell something?

:confused:
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Z3$BER78
    Z3$BER78 Posts: 20
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I just got GT5 last week and am loving it so far but I'm definitely wishing I had the wheel! Especially when I'm trying to drive that damn kart, haha. The controller sucks but it's all I got so far.
    HK AVR 2600, Polk RT16's, RT12's, CS350, Sony PS3
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i've used the controller only on GT3 and 4 but will be getting a new wheel when I get GT5. Anyone else have more links or pics of their setup? Need ideas to see what's feasible for as little $ as possible.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited January 2011
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    So did you read ANY of the above posts, or are you just trying to get to 100 to sell something?

:confused:

Oh get off your high horse and cure your xenoobphobia. If someone wants to get to 100, they'd be spamming comments not asking questions.

There were less than a handful of 'report' of experience with wheels above my post and they were talking about how 'fun' or 'different' playing with the wheel was.

I was pretty specific in asking if playing GT5 with a wheel makes it a 'car simulator' like experience. The realism factor of it.

Now excuse me so I can get off my soapbox to start working on my 100 post target at 1-2 posts a day.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Went ahead and snagged the DFGT and GT5. Love it but have the wheel rigged. Might keep an eye out for a car seat and build something but other than $100-150, any stand suggestions??

Hit the junkyard and look for 92-93 Acura Integra seats. Shouldn't cost more than $40, and they're pretty decent.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Earthy
    Earthy Posts: 488
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I got a seat from a Subaru WRX. It has no even mounting points, so I fabricated rails for it. Built a 2x4 frame and stuck a G27 on it. It's nothing special, but solid enough. I have logged enough miles to circle the globe a few times. I'll try and snap a picture to post.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    Parasound Halo A51
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Everyone I've talked to said that adding a wheel will shave seconds off of race times, I know from my experience that holding lines on the nascar challenges/races is tough. A couple of buddies of mine have gotten seats out of cars and fab'd a setup with them, but I haven't had a chance to use them.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I have yet to get the full game (haven't gotten around to it), but I did use my Logitech wheel / pedal for Prologue and it helped alot. Of course finding a good place to set it up is tough in my living room so I haven't played it in a while.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs