Digital Coax / Analog Cable Question

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
Hey, I have some questions about hooking up some items. I am a little confused by a couple particular cables.

1) I have a DVD player, and will be using Component Video soon. In order to get DTS, I need a cable.

Would this have to be Digital Coax(SPDI/F Type) cable, or just any old Analog Cable....all RCA connected by the way.

2) I have a Cable box, Comcast, and some of the signal I am receiving is digital...well, I am receiving some broadcasts in digital format, very crisp, and local stuff is grainy. Perhaps its all coming to me digitally, but anyways.

Would I use standard Analog cables for L&R audio, or Digital coaxial for L&R audio?

3) Since the cable provider is sending me digital, should I use the Video output on my box, as oppossed to the F-Type that I am using now?

In this case, I would use a Composite video cable right?

I guess the fact that there are two cables that provide true 75ohm specs is confusing me. 1 is Audio(SPDI/F), 1 is Video(Composite)??

Sorry for length and possible just not thinking, I have had a couple beers, but thanks for the help. :D
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Looks like another thread is similar lemme look down there.....sorry just noticed it as I posted.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Well not really....answer away gentlemen! :D
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I found this link, about 75 ohm issue, I will use Signal Cable as the example then....he offers a composite video and digital coax, both rated at 75 ohms....same?

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9978&highlight=digital+coaxial
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Well this thread is a little informative.....

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7715&highlight=digital+coaxial

PJDAMI!!! I think you and I have the same cable box (Motorola) ....or similar for sure, how are you hooked up, that might clear me up.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Well this thread is a little informative.....

[

ok:cool:

I have ta get another beer after this 1.

LOL:D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm with you Henry, he seemed to be carrying on by himself just fine.

Time for another MHL.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I still don't get it.

OK funny pants, I know where you two guys live you know..... ;)

Welcome to name that cable!!! The show where if you win, Doro sticks his head in his own AAAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!

(Crowd goes Wild)

Digital Out(Orange) - DVD = ???

Video Out(Yellow) - Digital Cable Box = ???

Fook these damn cables!

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Doro,

I will try to answer your questions based on what I do...not necessarily the best or worst way but it works for me:

1) I have a DVD player, and will be using Component Video soon. In order to get DTS, I need a cable.

Would this have to be Digital Coax(SPDI/F Type) cable, or just any old Analog Cable....all RCA connected by the way.

You can use the Digital Coax between your DVD player and your receiver or a digital optical cable and let your receiver / processor decode in DTS. I prefer to use the digital coaxial cable. I have a Monster THX digital coax cable

2) I have a Cable box, Comcast, and some of the signal I am receiving is digital...well, I am receiving some broadcasts in digital format, very crisp, and local stuff is grainy. Perhaps its all coming to me digitally, but anyways.

Would I use standard Analog cables for L&R audio, or Digital coaxial for L&R audio?

I have digital cable, but my cable company does not offer all digital channels yet. So I use both the analog outputs and the digital coax output from my cable box to my receiver. My Rotel then auto detects a digital signl when viewing a digital channel and uses that signal. When an analog channel is viewed the Rotel picks that up too and uses the analog signal. If your cable company is all digital channels then you should only have to use the digital coax out.

3) Since the cable provider is sending me digital, should I use the Video output on my box, as oppossed to the F-Type that I am using now?

In this case, I would use a Composite video cable right?

I guess the fact that there are two cables that provide true 75ohm specs is confusing me. 1 is Audio(SPDI/F), 1 is Video(Composite)??

I am currently using the 'S' video cable outlet on the cable box straight to the tv input 'S' video in. One can route through the receiver as well, but I guess I prefer not to have video signals passing through a receiver where it may or may not affect video and audio performance (two channel listening). This is debatible of course, but if it doesn't have to go through there I'm not going to do it (call me somewhat of a purist). So I have to use the tv remote to change video sources on the tv. Not a biggie for me. Now about the composite...I was always led to believe that 'S' video was better than composite. Mantis mentioned something on a thread a couple of days ago that a high quality composite cable can look better than 'S' video. This depends on the cable and tv. I have yet to experiment with this but will try it out in the near future. I think the 'S' video looks good on the digital cable channels. The analog channels some of them come in with some noise. Not sure if this is the 'S' video cable or just the analog channels just are inferior.

Is this what you are looking for?
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami

I have digital cable, but my cable company does not offer all digital channels yet. So I use both the analog outputs and the digital coax output from my cable box to my receiver. My Rotel then auto detects a digital signl when viewing a digital channel and uses that signal. When an analog channel is viewed the Rotel picks that up too and uses the analog signal. If your cable company is all digital channels then you should only have to use the digital coax out.

I'm a little confused on this aspect of cable. My question stems from the way DTV handles their Audio. All channels broadcast over DTV are on PCM as a default but also if DD is available then the box sends DD to my h/k. There are analog jacks but I don't use them in my system. Cable is not formatted this way?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    DTV is 100% totally digital channels. My cable company is gradually working to get there. right now channels 2 - 99 are still ananlog where I live; channels 100 and above are the digital channels. Hence, my need to still use both digital and analog for sound. Once the cable company goes 100% digital channels then I should only need the PCM digital output.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    PJ- Yes, thanks for the guidance, I think I am figuring it out between threads and here. Looks like you are more digital than my cable provider. I have no SVideo option, but do receive digital broadcasts. I will use the analog outputs as usual and the composite video thru my receiver. I am confusing the wife with the remotes thing, so ease of choosing DVD on the Sony is better on my end.

Cable Box to Receiver - SC Analog 2 and SC Composite Video

Receiver to TV - SC Composite Video(Monitor Out)

DVD Player to Receiver - SC Analog 2 and SC Digital Coaxial(DTS)

DVD Player to TV - SC Composite Video

I think that that is my conclusion from all this.

Is a 75ohm cable a 75ohm cable no matter what? There must be a reason for Digital Coaxial and Composite Video existing, tho' they are rated basically the same aren't they?

Henry - I think you are in my head, I am wondering this in a way also. I just want to ensure I am getting everything I can out of this setup you know what I mean?
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options

Is a 75ohm cable a 75ohm cable no matter what?

Absolutely!

There must be a reason for Digital Coaxial and Composite Video existing, tho' they are rated basically the same aren't they?

Marketing efforts are the reason. The only convenience in composite vidio cables are the color coding.

Its just like our antenna systems in the PCS network except we run 50 Ohm's... 1/2", 1 1/4" or 1 5/8" they are all 50 Ohms across the inner and outer sheaths just like a 75 Ohm cable. The impedance is not measured end to end or that would result in what appeared to be a short.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    doro,

You may have an older box. Can you get an upgrade box with better video output like 'S' video relatively cheap or free? I know my cable provider allows me to switch boxes for free.

Yes, running everything through the receiver is convenient and helps to get rid of remotes. Downside is you need more wires. I don't really know about its affect on video or audio performance or if it affects it at all really.

Henry, I know it is weird. But if I just used the digital coaxial connection between my cable box and receiver I get no sound on channels lower than 100 (analog channels). The cable provider is supposed to be offering HDTV and all digital channels in the near future. At that time I will need to upgrade my box to get the component video out and should be able to use the digital coaxial output for audio on all channels. Right now I get a big difference in volume between the digital channels and analog channels; its quite a pain actually. Can't wait for all digital like DTV has.
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    Right now I get a big difference in volume between the digital channels and analog channels; its quite a pain actually. Can't wait for all digital like DTV has.

I'm surprised and glad you mentioned level differences from digital to analog because over DTV I'll hear this same thing. Probably digital does minimize this effect but I think its entirely the content provider verse the carriers responsibility. For instance on DTV going from MTV too VH1 there is an obvious reduction in volume.

I guess some like it HOT while others NOT but they really should tighten the specs on this.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Pj - I am unsure, a friend from work said he went thru Comcast and received a HDTV box, silver Motorola....I will call tonight and check, but website says nothing except that I have digital cable currently. Comcast is such a pain in the arse sometimes for information.

I would think, or hope the effect is negligible for receiver switching.

Henry - OK, yea that makes sense. Must be marketing, but why is what gets me....Monster Cable doesnt split cable names up like Frank from Signal. I know Frank is squared away, so there MUST be a reason. I will email him and ask. I will post reply.

Open/Short/Load/etc, yeah, I have swept lines so many times, I am a zombie....just wasn't sure if dielectic, composition, rated freq etc really makes a difference if you still measure sheath to weather. It does for us doesn't it. We certainly don't install underated coax for our sites, its all freq specific, like a car antenna. Granted the range may be huge but its specific either way. Audio as it concerns you and me should be cut and dry. RF is different.
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options

Open/Short/Load/etc, yeah, I have swept lines so many times, I am a zombie....just wasn't sure if dielectic, composition, rated freq etc really makes a difference if you still measure sheath to weather. It does for us doesn't it. We certainly don't install underated coax for our sites, its all freq specific, like a car antenna. Granted the range may be huge but its specific either way. Audio as it concerns you and me should be cut and dry. RF is different.

You would be hard pressed to find a u-wave engineer design a liscensed u-wave backhaul with the cable types we use. In reality we should be running eliptical but think about the cost of all the dehydrators and connections. Price to performance would never be justified and has not. Remember that we do operate in a shared band that was at one time extensively used for LOS communications.

PCM which contains our audio is a broadband stream and matching 75 Ohm gozintas and comeoutaz is very important. RF on the other hand is very tough and quirky at times to say the least but at the end of the day the same principals apply.

Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options

Henry - OK, yea that makes sense. Must be marketing, but why is what gets me....Monster Cable doesnt split cable names up like Frank from Signal. I know Frank is squared away, so there MUST be a reason. I will email him and ask. I will post reply.

BTW

Frank is just following a convention so there is no deception at all to be worried about.

Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Henry - Nah, I wasn't worried about deception, Frank is square.

I personally don't like market driven interconnects, it insults me as a consumer. To say that I need a specific kind of cable, even tho' the same properties exist in a lesser known or off brand cable, is insulting. I am generalizing, but thats typically what it is.

This was awhile ago: My friend called up Bose and asked if could purchase and upgraded speaker cable, larger gauge. They stated that there cable was proprietary, and should not be changed or he risked damaging the speakers, and they did not recommend nor sell that kind of item. Now come on.....are you fooking kidding me? Anyways, he went with Monster Cable anyhow, and has nary a problem.

Now does that speak for all Bose users, no, but to me that's like saying if you use the windows in your car instead of the air conditioning, you are at risk of getting hot.

This isn't a Bose discussion, they can go blose some goats for all I care, just an example.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Henry- Oh, and yes I understand you on the cable properties issue :)
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Doro,
    Do you have a digital TV or just an analog TV? Analog TV's don't care if you have digital cable or not. When you guys are saying "DTV" do you mean digital television as in high defintion?
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Chris - Yes, I have a HDTV, I probably should have said that earlier :)

I thought an analog TV would still benefit from the digital broadcast? Perhaps not display HDTV, but still get sharper picture, no?
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ChrisDurano
    Doro,
    Do you have a digital TV or just an analog TV? Analog TV's don't care if you have digital cable or not. When you guys are saying "DTV" do you mean digital television as in high defintion?

I mean Direct TV when I say DTV. Sorry for the confusion.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I think satellite (directv and dishnetwork) does have a better horizontal resolution (somewhere around 400 lines) than digital cable (around 200 lines).
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650