Question about SDA's re: mono amps

Options
dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
edited July 2003 in Speakers
OK....I'm looking at some SDA-2's and I've done alot of searching here and noticed references to avoid using mono amps with the interconnect cable. Can some kind person please explain what-up with this mysterious looking cable and with using mono amps?
Exactly how does this cable connect up to your amp and how come you can't use monos? What kind of power do these require?
I saw where they should be positioned 3' from each side wall...are they intended to be flush up against the back wall? Any other idiosyncracies? I also notice there were some revisions to this speaker...a's and b's etc....were there design flaws with the original SDA-2's and are they a big deal?
Thanks in advance!
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ok,I need to make this short, so here goes.......you do not connect the interface cable to the amp(s), it runs between each speaker and cancels crosstalk to give you true stereo. If you have a non-common ground amp or mono blocks then you will need to use the AI-1 interface cable or make one yourself using a isolation transformer. For power, use a high current design of around 200 wpc...a little less is ok as long as it's clean and more is always better. Yes, they have to be 3' from any side wall, about 6' to 8' apart and between 5" to 18" from the back wall with no toe-in. Awesome speakers that will put a **** eaten grin on your face everytime!!! :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dragon1952
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Awesome speakers that will put a **** eaten grin on your face everytime!!!

Woo hoo!!! :D
    Thanks for the info buddy!

So....from doing some more searching it appears the AI-1 interface cable/monoblock scheme will not work with certain model year/revisions of the SDA's. Anyone know more about this?
    These are SDA-2's but not sure what year or serial numbers.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • scottdawg
    scottdawg Posts: 166
    edited July 2003
    Options
    My SDA2's are pre1987 with the dual blade interconnect cable and cannot use the A1-I cable. The 1987 and later with the blade/pin interconnect can use the A1-I.
  • dragon1952
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks dawg
  • twochannel
    twochannel Posts: 171
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have the original version of the SDA-SRS's and I am using Adcom 565 mono blocks. Adcom advised me to plug both amps into the same wall receptacle and use a small length of speaker wire bridged between the negative speaker terminals of both amps, thus giving them common ground. I also had to use the same type wire for the bridge as I am using for the speakers, probably to correct any impedance problem.
    The bridge must be in place or the speakers will be become damaged.
  • dragon1952
    edited July 2003
    Options
    No ****! Hmmmm.....so this should work with the sda-2's too, huh?
    I'm actually using two stereo amps in bridged mode.
  • twochannel
    twochannel Posts: 171
    edited July 2003
    Options
    dragon,
    I had two Adcom 555's bi-wired before I bought the 565 mono blocks. I could not mono the 555's, or I would have, with the SRS's because of the low impedance generated in the SDA crossover network. These speakers are rated at 4 ohms but drop to around 1 ohm when played.
    Now reality! I called Adcom tech. Adcom 555's can handle as low as 1 ohm load in stereo mode. In mono mode, the bridging of the electronics inside the amplifier will raise that figure to 2 ohms. The 555's cannot drive a 1 ohm load in bridged mode. The 555's got pretty warm with the SDA-SRS's in stereo mode. They would have cooked in bridged mode if I had tried it.
    "When in doubt, call the manufacturer."
  • dragon1952
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Well ....I failed miserably in my bid attempts :(
    Some low-life got those babies for $152! Jumped in right at the end and trumped my $150 :mad: That's what I get for being so friggin' cheap, but NOBODY was bidding on these suckers! There was like 2 bids up until about 2 min left with the highest being $100. I guess I don't really need a third pair of floor standers anyway :D

But appreciate all the responses....thanks!