whats up with sony

sirogenous
sirogenous Posts: 57
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
For those like myself who may have damaged or perhaps lost or gotten stolen their Sony car stereo face plates, and were put off by sony's incredibly high price tag, you may find their pricing a bit strange to follow. As some models now have exact replacements that did not and at cut in half prices. Two months ago the Sony website listed my 8050's replacement faceplate to be $240. And that was for a universal faceplate to work with their ES series units. 2 weeks ago they had my exact replacement listed and for $120 U.S. and it arrived standard U.S. mail in 4 days from the time I placed the order.
Post edited by sirogenous on

Comments

• C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited July 2003
    I don't really understand how the pricing is, but I would say that I agree with pricing replacement faceplates really high. I mean sure, there are people like Jstas who's faceplace just went out on him and if he needed a replacement, it would be nice to have one cheap. But there are people who get their **** stolen even though the faceplate was removed from the stereo and then those thieves can get a replacement for 40, and sell the thing for 100. I don't know. It's just my opinion though...

Or maybe they should price them cheaply for anyone who has a receipt of purchase... something like that... so you could get your replacement for like 40, while someone who doesn't have a receipt would pay the 240.
    "The Big C"
  • sirogenous
    edited July 2003
    All I am going to say is that it is my opinion also, that Sony could have done a much better job at being sure that I show them a purchase receipt with matching SN # before selling me the faceplate. But then again, if you think about it from a manufactures standpoint, the fact that their decks get stolen from time to time means that more decks will be purchased to make up for the thefts. Theoretically it would be stupid to consider the people who do the stealing, are going to be a part of the their sales market. After all...why would a thief pay for something when they would rather try and get it for free. And of those of us who do buy products new, it's a safe call for marketing analysists to predict we'll go out and get a brand new replacement, thus increasing their annual sales by nearly the same precentage that get stolen. Hey...maybe the theives all work for Sony. If you've ever had to take in one of their products for service, you'd swear you just had your wallet stolen at the prices they charge for labor when labor isn't covered under warranty. Did someone say CHUA-CHING
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    if your faceplate is stolen - ebay is the best place to look for a replacemtn...

its kind of funny bust most stolen faces end up on ebay anyways -- u may actually buy back your original one in theory -- theif makes 30 - 50 bucks... u are happy that u didn't have to pay 200 from the MFG...

this is how life works... it sucks.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sirogenous
    edited July 2003
    Actually my faceplate was damaged due to being stepped on.

I refuse to ever own anything that might be stolen. I know how rotten I feel when something of mine gets stolen from me, I would hate knowing that I was supporting something or someone that would cause another to suffer the same sense of loss and violation. Plus, let'em go out and earn their way thru life like everyone else.

Although, I would definitely take back what was once in my possesion. but I'll be damn if I'm gonna be made to pay for it twice. No matter how you look at it, the only difference between people who buy stolen goods and the ones who commit the actual act of stealing is that one thief just happens to be paying the other thief money to steal for them.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    well i completely agree with your moral statement there... however, in teh grand scheme of life, i'd rather pay 40 bones for my plate back than 200 for a new one...

kinda like when somebody steals your wallet with your credit cards, vital paperwork, family photos, and 50 bucks in cash...

99% of the time u see an ad in the paper that says "wallet lost... please return to such and such, you can keep the cash"

i dont like it -- i think 90% of the world is dishonest and should be shot... but u gotta live with it sometiemes.
  • sirogenous
    edited July 2003
    Yeah, I hear ya. Only in the minds of mankind does such a thing as justice exist. That's why as long as there's blood to suck there will be parasites who'll feed. :rolleyes:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    we need to bring pirates back -- they stole stuff and did bad things but at least they did so while looking really cool, runnin around with gorgeous women, and sitting on an island drinking rum for 3 days...

go see pirates of the caribbean... great movie. :)