Gaming on XBox 360 in Multiple Rooms

Options
Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited December 2010 in Video Games
I have an XBox 360 Slim 250GB w/Kinect and an XBox 360 Jasper unit. The Slim is my main console, and is hooked up on the 120" screen. My older unit is in my bedroom hooked up to the LCD screen. I don't always want to game on my PJ and would sometimes like to game in my room.

The question -- is it possible to switch between each console without having to download my XBox Live profile EVERY single time I switch consoles? It takes forever. From what I've noticed, if I game on one machine on XBox Live it invalidates the XBox Live account on my other console until I recover it on that console.

Currently I use flash drives to save games I want to play between the two consoles, and that works fine.

I do not want to pay for another account. I'll put up with the hassle if I have to, but I can't imagine I'm the only person who wants to be able to game on the same profile in multiple rooms.
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Put your gamertag on a USB or one of those MS memory cards and just do it that way also.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2010
    Options
    As far as I know, you can't. You can only copy to a flash drive and then off of the flash drive and onto your hard drive or internal memory. I don't believe you can keep stuff on it other than to transfer it, unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    As far as I know, you can't. You can only copy to a flash drive and then off of the flash drive and onto your hard drive or internal memory. I don't believe you can keep stuff on it other than to transfer it, unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.

Don't think so this was done intentionally so you cannot share a gamertag.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited December 2010
    Options
    aboroth00 wrote: »
    Don't think so this was done intentionally so you cannot share a gamertag.

+1 on what he said...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited December 2010
    Options
    My spidey sense is tingling.

Anyway, I played around briefly with the backing up of a profile to USB and it did work, I just don't recall the specifics. I might have had to backup and restore the profile each time, but it was much faster than the online recovery process.

I'm getting my second xbox online after Christmas so I haven't played with it too much, but I'm not expecting it to be painless. Hopefully at some point MS will come out with an update to allow local network sharing of profiles amongst the consoles in the house.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • mmadden28
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Actually, I recall moving my profile to a USB, then I pulled the USB out. When I went to login with my profile, it was not listed. As soon as I plugged the USB token in it showed up. So maybe it does work without backup/restore, but has the inconveience of requiring you to move the USB drive around (along with the potential for getting lost). I'll have to go try this again.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2010
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    My spidey sense is tingling.

Anyway, I played around briefly with the backing up of a profile to USB and it did work, I just don't recall the specifics. I might have had to backup and restore the profile each time, but it was much faster than the online recovery process.

I'm getting my second xbox online after Christmas so I haven't played with it too much, but I'm not expecting it to be painless. Hopefully at some point MS will come out with an update to allow local network sharing of profiles amongst the consoles in the house.

I hope so, because this is what I had intended to do when I bought the new 250GB + Kinect. I had prepared for having to download my profile each time, but yeah...takes like 5+ minutes for me.

If not, no biggie, my girlfriend will be moving in pretty soon and taking over the old XBox for the most part anyways.
  • mmadden28
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'm getting a 2nd console for convenience mainly--I move it between rooms depending on whether I want to play in HD, or if my kids want to play (they can live w/o HD) and I want the TV available, then I can boot them to another room. Right now with one console I don't really have it tucked into the entertainment center neatly because I want it to be easily available for moving. If I get a 2nd console then I can make it all nice and neat again. But it has to be near seamless for it to work.

Yeah we could do separate silver (free) memberships, but Gamer score, achievements and game saves are important.

Ultimately a shared local network profile would be an ideal solution, even if it could be stored on a network drive or something, or some way to keep the two consoles in sync, esp with respect to game saves and purchased Live games.

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2010
    Options
    When I posted my response I meant that you would have to transfer to the hard drive. Again way faster than recovering. Which takes 15 minutes....or what seems like 15 minutes
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i hate this as well. my profile is on both xboxes but to switch between i'd have to do recovery or whatever is described herein. we do have 2 accounts, of course. but sometimes i wanna play MY xbox live on the smaller 65" but never do due to laziness. sure wish there were a better way. ESPECIALLY if i decide to roll with a 3rd box.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • mmadden28
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I wonder if you have two of the same lineage Xbox 360 (older hard drive mount vs new one), if you could just swap the hard drives as you move around? So when I'm done gaming in one room and want to move to the next room to game or watch Netflix, etc, just take the hard drive out.
    Again the lack of two units prevents me from testing this out, I'm wondering if the xBox detects this and has to re-register itself or something lame like that. Wait I do still have my old 20GB HDD, maybe I can test this....

• mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I have had two Xbox 360s for some time now and all you have to do is keep your XBL gamer tag and saves on a USB drive. Just copy the profile onto the USB stick and then you can login to your account straight off the USB drive.

There is no need to recover gamertags or to copy the account more than once.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection