Few stupid PA/SR related install questions

Options
Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited December 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm finally getting real close to finishing up my fiberglass enclosure for SR124-DVC.
Carpet and poly is really all that's left.

Not the "latest" pic but close enought:

SU1BRzAxMDMuanBn.jpg

Time for stupid questions now. I think i know the answer to both but rather ask to make sure.

1. Wiring PA1200.1 and SR124-DVC:
I know of Crutchfield's diagram as well as diagram on SR's manual but both refer to mono amp with 2 speaker wire outs + and -
PA1200.1 has 4 of them - 2 +'s and 2-'s
I'm supposed to simly use just 1 set of + and - and disregard seconf set right?
If i understand this correctly second set is to be used if i was to add second sub.

SU1BRzAxMDEuanBn-1-1.jpg

2. Seal ring

There's a seal ring that comes with SRs that is to be installed between sub and enclosure to prevent airleaks. It's far from a weather strip most people use - it's a lot harder/denser and almost doesn't flex/compress when you screw sub in. I see how it wound work on let's say mdf but when it even comes to carpet on top of mdf - i'm not so sure it'll flex enought to really seal up enclosure (where the sub going in).
Logic tells me Polk got it covered and all should be good but looking/touchin that seal ring tells me logic could be more of a "wishfull thinking".
I actually layed that ring in between 2 pieces of mdf to see how much it'll "flex/bend" to seal up but it really didn't flex at all. I used 12 screws all around for that tight **** and it just didn't flex at all.....
Am i mindscrewing myself here??
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Use one set of terminals or both, they do the same thing and the amp will see a 2 ohm load regardless. Polk just used dual terminals to make it a little easier.

I'd use the seal that came with the sub. Trust in thy Polk engineers. :wink:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Man, you are going to love that sub.
  • Vital
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^^ haha! yeah, i'm sure i will :)
    One thing that might mess it up is that i already know of it's "holy greatness" based on sooooooo many posts/reviews/feedbacks on it that i actually expect it now. I'd be better if i had no idea what it does, install it and go "WOOOOOOOWWW" lol
    Then again i woun't get it if it wasn't for all those posts/reviews/feedbacks.....

Either way coming from 12''db in vented to 12''SR in sealed should be a big difference in itself.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The sub is very musical, I didn't get the "slam" I use to get from my Memphis or JL, but overall I liked this sub much more than others. A great balance, and beautiful piece.
  • Vital
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Quick "sanity" check before this sub sees power tomorrow, just wanna make sure i wired it correctly for 2 ohms load (to be powered by PA1200.1). Sub is dual voice coil, black is ground, white is hot.

SU1BRzAxNDAuanBn.jpg
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Vital
    edited December 2010
    Options
    blueboxer wrote: »
    Man, you are going to love that sub.

SU1BRzAxNDkuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzAxNTIuanBn.jpg

Sub only has 6-7 hours of play time so it's too early give it a full review but:

1. this sub in sealed enclosure has RIDICULOUS (in a good way) punch/kick. Maybe i won't need rear fill afterall, sounds like when it's fully broken in it'll give me all the punch i ever wanted. It already does lol, i can only imagine what it'll sound like in 2 weeks.
    2. Coming from 12'' db sub in ported i'll need some time to get used to not hearing those loooow frequencies.

I mostly listen to either hardcore techno which is all about kick/punch or dubstep/drum'n'bass which is all about bass. Well, hardcore now sounds just like it should - hard as **** fast punchy kicks but dubstep seems to be missing those looow, extended basswaves. I hope by the time SR is fully broken in i'll get those lows back but i do realize that that's a trade off from going from ported to sealed.
    Overall i'm VERY pleased with it. A lot of reviews on it mentioned how "musical" it is which i never really understood but i think i now know what they were talking about, very "musical" it is :)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2010
    Options
    All that work on the box and you didn't even flush the sub in!!!!

Looks really good though.

Also, don't confuse 'low frequencies' with 'boosted frequencies'.

I don't know what kind of box you had the DB in, but I can almost guarantee the SR in a sealed enclosure will play lower in the frequency range. What you're missing was a ported box's natural boost at the tuning frequency.

So hows the amp rack going to look when its done?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Vital
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Today half way to work this sub just started to BOOOOM (in the VERY best meaning of this word lol) I quess it's on it's way to be broken in. It only got 15-ish hours of playtime as of now so it's way to early to really review it but as of this morning i'm REALLY starting to like it.

Now that i think of it - u're right, i should have flushed it but too late now... well, maybe when i'm bored i'll cut out another piece of wood, cover it in the same carpet and install it on top, really not much work there.

As for amprack - it will basically have the same design but i'll also add Tru SSLD6i to it, maybe another set of comps (thinking of MM6501 in the front and use MMC's woofers in the rear doors), plexiglass, leds and fans if needed.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ