Confused... Polk Momo or Db series? Which one better?

phongnguyent
phongnguyent Posts: 34
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
If i am reading the website right. the momo are the best.. but why are the momo cheaper than the db series?

I'm just trying to get the best speakers for my truck..
2000 4runner limited

and if anyone can tell me the correct size for my truck i would REALLY APPRECIATE IT...

mobiletoys say
Speaker Opening Size: 6 1/2" front
Speaker Depth: 2 1/2" front

Speaker Opening Size: 5 1/4" rear
Speaker Depth: 2 1/2" rear

but polk gives me 6-3/4" db6750 (by the car fit guide) .... and no speakers for rear..

And if you guyz can give me everything i need for my truck... amp.. speakers.. whatever is the best.. i would glady appreciate it again...

Thanks.
Tony Nguyen
Also personal question does polk outperfrom sony, alpine, and so on and so forth?
Post edited by phongnguyent on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2003
    You're probably confused by some of the threads on here. There was a line years ago called dB, and that was the best at the time. With the new lines that are coming out now we have db (good), Momo carbon series (better), and Momo classic (best).

I've been out of retail for a while so I'm not sure on the speakers' sizes. I'd check Crutchfield.com, they have a very good fit guide.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    Um, if you have a 4Runner Limited, the reason you may have trouble fitting speakers is because you may have a "premium" audio system. If that is the case then it probably does not use standard sized speakers. It's not difficult to get around but you will not be able to use the factory wiring. You will need to run all of your own power, ground, signal and speaker wires.

Other problems could be where teh speakers are located. Some stock speakers are very thin and small and very many aftermarket speakers can be much larger depth wise than a stock speaker. If that is the case, there may not be an aftermarket speaker available to fit the rear positions of your vehicle. You may need to do some custom work with spacers and such.

As for the difference between speakers, Thom would be the guy to know best since he works for Polk Audio.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    i went to www.crutchfield.com and entered in your car and it recommened 6 3/4" speakers
    and the db675's would fit
    they did not list a rear speaker either, try to email or call toyota and see if theyll give you the size and mounting depth on the speaker
    or go to your local car audio shops and ask if theyve installed speakers in similar vehicles and see if they know
    most audio shops will have a book to tell you what fits and what doesnt too
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    well assuming that if u're got a prem sys and need to rewire... that's all well and good

but either way -- why dont u just pull the door off, look inside, pull out the factor speaker and measure the diameter of the hole that is in the panel -- then measure the depth between the panel and the first obstruction

butt those up against the mounting hole diameters listed as factory specs and work from there.

whether u choose the new "DB Junior" or the momo coaxials is gonna depend on how hard you want to push your audio system and what exactly you're lookin for -- when u get a clear idea of exactly wht u're after, how much u wanna spend, and how loud you want it -- then u can make that choice.

from what's been noted - both appear to be good speaker lines.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • phongnguyent
    phongnguyent Posts: 34
    edited July 2003
    another question.. about the mm6 in particular... what is the difrence with component system? if i am correct, it comes with subs and tweeters....

isnt that the job of the 10inch or more speaker in the back? or does those sub play vocal regular speaker sound too?

in other words, what is the difference between mm6 and mmc650? which one should i go with? or should i again go with the dx...

so db6500 OR MMC650? MMC525 OR db525? or mm6?

i am planning to get the 2000 watts each fosgate 10's sub for da back... my friend has it in his car and its awesome... nice clear punch..... any critiques on this would also be appreciated before i buy...

and once again thanks everyone for ya help
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by phongnguyent
    another question.. about the mm6 in particular... what is the difrence with component system? if i am correct, it comes with subs and tweeters....

isnt that the job of the 10inch or more speaker in the back? or does those sub play vocal regular speaker sound too?

The MM6 system comes with a pair of mids, a pair of tweeters, and a pair of passive crossovers. The 6.5" mids play down pretty low, but can't match a true subwoofer.

in other words, what is the difference between mm6 and mmc650? which one should i go with? or should i again go with the dx...

The are completely completely different. The MM6 mid is an oversized driver (6.75") and is difficult to fit in a lot of vehicles. The MM6's tweeters are larger than those on the MMC's. The MM6 will outperform the MMC650, but depending on your taste it might not be by a huge margin. The MM6 will handle more power and will play lower.

so db6500 OR MMC650? MMC525 OR db525? or mm6?

It all depends on what you're after. Are you going to amplify the entire system at some point? How much are you looking to spend? Try to listen to them and see which sounds best to you.