Trying to calibrate SR 5250

Options
newbie5
newbie5 Posts: 9
edited December 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys I'm a newbie here and wanted to know how to calibrate my system. I have a polk pa 1100.5 with sr5250 for front speakers and 5x7 momos for rear and also an old clarion drz9255 head unit. I'm into SQ, so I was wondering if you guys can help me bring my system alive jeje:biggrin:
Post edited by newbie5 on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Well you have one of the legendary hu's. The one unit that would take on the p-800/880 head on. Here's what it gives you.

1. The ability to set an active network. I'd say ditch the rears, bi-amp the sr's and go active. This is your first sq step. Cross the sub/mid around 50-60hz and the mid/tweet around 4-5khz.

2. Time Alignment : The 9255 lets you set TA in steps of 0.7cm that is 0.02ms. Just wow. Measure the distance of each driver from your seating position and dial that in. Then leave the sub where it measured and add delay to the mids and tweets by about 100cm for each driver. Now play around. Extend only the tweets, play with the delay between the two mids / tweets. Get it sounding like one cohesive source.

3. Eq : You get a 5 band parametric eq with independent L/R control. Huge bonus. I would use the 5 band to focus in on the 5 frequencies which have the most L/R response difference.

Band1 - 80hz -1db Left and -3-4db Right, both on Q=1
    Band 2 - 160hz -1 db Left and -5db Right again both on Q=1
    Band 3 - 300-315hz, -5db Left and -1db Right
    Band 4 - 1khz -1db Left and -5db Right on a wide Q curve = 2-3
    Band 5 - 3khz -1db Left and 5db Right on a wide Q curve = 2-3

The key to everything is going active. The bands selected are intuitive and based on average response in a car. They are not absolutes so play around here.

Try and keep the sub/mid xover in the 50-60hz range. Put the sub and mids on the sharpest slope you can get. With the eq settings I'm basically correcting for FR of your mids. I'm not touching your tweets. Just get the tweets on axis and use the L/R gains on the hu to balance the FR on the tweets.
  • newbie5
    newbie5 Posts: 9
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks but what should I do with the cross-over freq for the front speakers?
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Disconnect your rears. Set the fronts at either 50/63hz. see which sounds better.