HDTV at HBombs *Advice Needed*

Options
HBombToo
HBombToo Posts: 5,256
edited July 2003 in Electronics
I finally pulled the trigger on buying an HD receiver. Its the Hughes E86 and so far and the clarity and brilliance on the HDNET is outstanding and all seems good with a couple exceptions.

I thought I read a tidbit on AVS that there should be an LED that shows when 1080i is active but there is none. Furthermore, nothing in the owners manual eludes to this as a feature. The manual is great with settup but not on the actual operation.

I configured mine with component out to my h/k then to the tv and it is working as a stand alone settup. When I connect s vidio out to the tv it also works and realize that it can't be high def but how in the hell can 1 know that it is actually working in 1080i with no indicators across the component connections?

I had full intention on buying the zenith 520 and think that I will make the swap for 1 reason and 1 reason only... The Hughes box gets ***HOT***!!! and I mean really hot and I don't want my toddler getting too close to it. Its not scalding hot but when I place my hand on it the heat is great enough to cause me to pull away.

any info or advice from you HD pros will really be appreciated.

HBomb

I did indeed mean the 520 just had a memory lapse

:D
***WAREMTAE***
Post edited by HBombToo on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Henry,
    the two HD receivers that I would recommend to buy, at this time, are the Zenith 520 or Sony HD-SAT200. These two share the same engine and they have the DVI option (future proofing your investment). As far as 1080i, I know my Sony upconvert to 1080i whenever possible. If you tune to HDNet channel, you can see if the format is there or not. I am not familiar with the E86 other than it is a first generation of HD receiver, along with several other brand (Mits, Tosh, Sony HD-SAT100, etc)

As far as unit gets hot, mine does that too, not excessively hot, but plenty warm. My old Sony A-55 was also gets warm. AVS Forum is a great place to bone up on your specific issue, they have practically a thread for each popular units out there. The Sony is kinda nice, since it has the feature that allows automatic firmware upgrade while your unit sitting idle.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    polka, I do like the DVI option but my Sony 57"er does not support it and would have to waite untill I get a forward projector. Thats why I finally decided to save the 300 bucks and go with the Hughes.

My question is about HDNet... does it either work or not? The E86 can downsample to 480i but not the other way to 1080i. How do I know if it is 1080i???

Thanks
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Henry,
    on my Sony unit, to begin with, I set my default format to 1080i (it will display it when I turn it on). If I tune to HDNet, I can tell by going to the menu, and look into the aspect ratio. If the aspect ratio is in 1080i, then, it will NOT let me change the wide modes. The same happened with 480p, and I can tell from the two black vertical bars on the screen, and also it won't let me change the wide format. Otherwise, on SD I can play around with the wide setting (panorama, natural, etc.) I hope I answer your question, if not, fire away....

ps: I am in the same boat, my RPTV doesn't have DVI, but I thought since the trend is going that way, might as well. Before long, all DVD players mid and up will have them too.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    If I tune to HDNet, I can tell by going to the menu, and look into the aspect ratio. If the aspect ratio is in 1080i, then, it will NOT let me change the wide modes. The same happened with 480p, and I can tell from the two black vertical bars on the screen, and also it won't let me change the wide format. Otherwise, on SD I can play around with the wide setting (panorama, natural, etc.) I hope I answer your question, if not, fire away....

***That is exactly what I experienced.*** Funny thing is while my Sony is connected to component it acts exactly the same as you explained regarding the box. S vidio I have full control.

BTW, I have driven my wife totally nuts over this thing. :D

I quote: Put that damn remote down I'm trying to watch TV!!!!

The picture quality from the Hughes is great and more than I actually expected. But I can't stop thinking about the Zenith.

Thanks
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    :) then you are in, bro! yeah, I agree with your wife, quit messing around with the remote, please! :D
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Its 3:12 Central and after all the discussion this morning and last night with Russman I was so distracted about that Hughes box I left the office for a swap out. I walked in my front door and the wife said what the hell are you doing here... "good thing I don't have a pool;) ", and I said I'm going to CC for a new box. She shook her head, I packed everything up and off I went.

The CC guys were pretty cool and asked alot of questions. Seems as though a lot of folks are complaining about heat amongst some other issues regarding DD drop outs and failing receiver sensitivity due to possibly the heat issue.

Anywho... I have the new Zenith HD520 receiver in and integrated and it is spectacular. I immediatly saw the difference and am damn glad I swapped it out. Also the 520 has just been price reduced at CC by 100 bucks so for 599 your into HD if ya want.

Impulsive HBomb at his finest!!!
    :D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • polkatese
    edited July 2003
    Options
    now we are talkin'! congrats and enjoy...btw, DTV HDNet going away September 1st (as a freebee) and will become part of the new premium offering along with HD Discovery and HDNet movies...I guess there is no such thing as free lunch forever! :D:D
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'll enjoy it while it lasts and ramp up the service after that.

I'm hooked and can't waite to get home for surfing and beer drinking!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    now we are talkin'! congrats and enjoy...btw, DTV HDNet going away September 1st (as a freebee) and will become part of the new premium offering along with HD Discovery and HDNet movies...I guess there is no such thing as free lunch forever! :D:D

Don;t forget ESPN HD! :)