Problem with PA 1100.5

Options
greg2350
greg2350 Posts: 544
edited December 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
This problem started a few months ago. I went to adjust the sub gain on my amp and noticed the gain control wasnt there!!! upon further look the gain control had dropped down in the chassis. I took a small flathead and moved it back up. After a couple of days I checked it the gain control had fallen back down I moved it back up. This kept happening more often, now when the gain control falls down I get no sound from the sub. When I move it back up sub comes back on. Im thinking it moving up and down caused a solder joint to come loose. I called polk CS and the amp is out of warranty and he could not give me a price to send it to them and fix it. I dont really have the funds to fix it do you guys think I could resolder the gain control im pretty good with a solder iron. Im guessing this amp uses a multilayer board. This amp is in a hatchback and has never got to hot maybe a little warm never pushed hard. What are your thoughts on this. I attatched some pics after I moved the gain control back up.:smile:

PA11005_SubGainMeltingPoint.jpg
TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
AVR: Denon 3801
DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
Sat: Directtv HD 10
Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If I were you I'd take it apart and have a look at it since its out of warranty anyway.

Careful with those caps though, they can hold a good amount of juice!
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.