Subwoofer and Amp matching

Options
DuMbNa2Ty
DuMbNa2Ty Posts: 5
edited December 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I'm thinking of purchasing two Kenwood KFC-W3012 subwoofer. Already bout the Polk Audio db651 and db691 front and rear coaxial speakers. I'm going to be powering those with the JL Audio J2 320.4.

My question is, whether that Kenwood is a good subwoofer for some decent tunes, and whether I should purchase another JL J2 320.4 to power those subs. The recommended rms power range for the subs is between 50-400. So if i use the two channels on the JL Audio amplifier I can get 160 watts to each sub. Is that too low of wattage to supply to each sub, should I be aiming more for around 400 watts to each sub? And if so what is a good amplifier I should be purchasing to match those subs.

Thanks alot guys!
Post edited by DuMbNa2Ty on

Comments

• eprater1
    eprater1 Posts: 175
    edited December 2010
    Options
    what is your budget for both subs and amp? this will give us a better idea as to what will best suit your needs. also what is your preferance in music and what type of vehicle will these be run in?
  • DuMbNa2Ty
    edited December 2010
    Options
    eprater1 wrote: »
    what is your budget for both subs and amp? this will give us a better idea as to what will best suit your needs. also what is your preferance in music and what type of vehicle will these be run in?

Im looking to spend around 600 bucks all together, so that comes to around 150$ each, giver or take couple bucks of course for either sub or amp being cheaper of more expensive.

Listen to alot of electronica genre, etc. electo, house, techno, dubstep. Also listen to a fair amount of rap/hip-hop, with a little bit of rock once in a while. I'm gunna be running all this in a 2000 Honda Accord coupe.
  • eprater1
    edited December 2010
    Options
    honestly for that type of music and in that vehicle i would think that you are going to want a higher output type subwoofer and with that budget you can get a pretty decent setup with some smart online purchases.

i have found multiple reputable amps on ebay that run 1000 watts at 1 ohm, jl, kicker, precsion power...all at about the 250.00 mark. that leaves alot of money and power for a nice 12" sub. http://cgi.ebay.com/Memphis-Mojo-12-inch-Sub-Woofer-M3-MOJOD4-Dual-4-Ohm-/400168165336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2be19fd8 i ran this one for abot 1.5 years and loved it in a slot loaded box, much higher sq than previous modles and tons of output.
  • DuMbNa2Ty
    edited December 2010
    Options
    what you guys think about the JL AUDIO 12W3V3-4, got pretty good reviews and can get for 149.99$
  • eprater1
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i wouldnt go any lower than he w6 line of jls but that is just my opinion, agian you are going to be fighting a seperated area housing the sub from your listening area so output can be important.
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If it were me I would go with at least one 15. The reason is, because with the style of music you like. That kind of music (house, techno etc) has alot of lower notes that a 12 just can not get to, and a 15 can. However on the flip side the 15 will not respond to high notes as well as the 12. Also as for JL audio, from what I have heard, they are more SQ oriented, not so much in your face SPL. You could get there with their subs, but that goes into the type of inclosure you use. Ported boxes will give more of a "Boom" reponse, where with a sealed, you get more "Bang" response. Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • eprater1
    edited December 2010
    Options
    im with koas on this one, mayb forgo the jl line all together all look into some mojos, l7's, RE, those types are going to give more output. personally 15s seem to always sound to sloppy to me so i would stick with a 12 but that is just my preferance. its your can and your money.
  • eprater1
    edited December 2010
    Options
    oh and forgot to mentin, techno sucks! :) just givin ya a hard time.
  • jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I've never had any problem with the JL Audio subs being loud enough, and that would include the original W0 series. Plus, the cheaper JL subs require very little power, so a lower power amp is fine.

And you really don't need a 15 inch sub unless you want to blow the panels off of your car. A 12 is perfectly fine for most people. Not to mention that almost all 15 inch subs require a gigantic box.
  • DuMbNa2Ty
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'm definitely not looking to get a 15" I'm pretty sure 12's would be enough for my needs. Yeah I was pretty set on getting the JL Audio 12W3V3-4, disappointed to hear sound may not be what I'm looking for. First time I actually heard these subs may not give me the lows I'm looking for. Interested to see what some more research says on this.

Thanks for the input guys.
  • eprater1
    edited December 2010
    Options
    DuMbNa2Ty wrote: »
    I'm definitely not looking to get a 15" I'm pretty sure 12's would be enough for my needs. Yeah I was pretty set on getting the JL Audio 12W3V3-4, disappointed to hear sound may not be what I'm looking for. First time I actually heard these subs may not give me the lows I'm looking for. Interested to see what some more research says on this.

Thanks for the input guys.

dont mean to make it sound as though they will not perform up to your expectations, that will be for you to judge. it is just that from what i have read and the few jls i have heard in person (2 sets of 10s and 1 older 12) i have never really been impressed with thier output. they sounded pretty clean but didnt blow me away at all. for the money i would def look at some other brands.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The W3 in the recommended JL audio ported enclosure will work great in your car. Not sure what these other guys are talking about. It is an excellent subwoofer with great sound quality and plenty of output. Get 300 to 500 watts from a good amp and have fun.
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I was not saying that JL is not good, cause they are.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • eprater1
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The W3 in the recommended JL audio ported enclosure will work great in your car. Not sure what these other guys are talking about. It is an excellent subwoofer with great sound quality and plenty of output. Get 300 to 500 watts from a good amp and have fun.

not saying that the w3 isnt a decent sub. what im saying is that for his taste in music, vehicle, and listening levels the w3 just isnt the right choice. he is going to need more output (listening compartment seperated from encosure compartment) and generally that type of music consistently plays into the lower tones, for such i just dont think the w3 is up to the job, the w7 sure. personally i love the mojo (newer solid black series, much better sq than the original and still all the output), has amazing output at 1300rms watts and great sq for what it is. there is no way you can compare output of a w3 to a mojo, l7, w7, RE, or anyother highend sub.